'Aged' AK Plastic Furniture

NegativeCambre

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great King.

Here is just an update on my gun--I've went over it again and tried to get a dented look on the wood, and also achieved a 'body rot' effect on the receiver, let me know what you think:

gallery_17063_1068_40145.jpg

gallery_17063_1068_197116.jpg

gallery_17063_1068_32236.jpg

gallery_17063_1068_33691.jpg

gallery_17063_1068_27993.jpg

This is all still with sharpie markers--to get the rot effect I just peeled off some of the finish that is layered onto the rough cast, and then colored in with a red sharpy. Let it sit for about a minute, and then wiped off the area with more nail polish remover. This acheived the 'rust' look around the rot... I hope it holds. It's just enough color to make the decay look more metal and less plastic.

To get the chips and dents in the wood I used my trusty Boy Scouts of America pocket knife and just whittled a little away, colored in with a black marker, and wiped off. If the ink doesn't set (the ink has a harder time 'dying' the plastic underneith the initial wood finish) then do multiple times, and you are able to get a great, cosmulined oil finish.

The AK is really starting to look BEAT which is the exact effect I wanted.

Pretty AK's are great when you are a yahoo in Nevada or one of the other states that can own a semi-auto AK, but AKs, especially the older -47's don't really exist like this in the real world...

Steve

Man, NC, that thing looks freakin awesome! Fantastic job! I wish I had a wood finish weapon sitting around. I am itching to do this on a revolver or something. I think I will try to grab one soon. Great job man. That distressing makes the piece look really lived in. I love it! I did something similar to my 5.1 custom HiCapa, Ragarok. I wanted it to look like a gun out of Mad Max so I dinged the hell out of it, distressed the paintjob and even etched a "kill count" on the side of it with my Kabar. Still doesnt look as good as what you have done here.

I have just done this to my Cyma 028 and it looks great, I have just done the stock so far and have found a method that, I think improves it considerably. When applying the permanent marker instead of just doing blobs - do long strips along the grain. This seems to make the 'stain' fade into the grain more and makes it look a lot more realistic...

Well done NC - Great solution instead of having to apply layers of stain, Lacquer etc.

I tryed to do this with nonacetone last night and show my results, but the site got all messed up. Right now I would recommend that you do not use nonacetone on the plastic parts because it leaves this nasty stuff after you wash it...

2ze9wmq.jpg

If you dont wash the plastic parts, it gets really sticky. I put a extra coat on it last night and I let it dry. It does not look to bad but I will need to get another perminet marker because mine died

Here are my results from letting it dry over night. It no longer has that nasty stuff on it and it is not sticky. It looks a lot better than in the pic. It does look older!

2e3tk50.jpg

I did almost everything wrong in this small project because I used a Extra fine point Sharpie, and I used nonacetone nail polish remover.

Hawaii, at least you doing it all backwards lets us know that its much better to use broader sharpies and acetone nail polish remover--you helped refine the process :D

Still didn't come out bad--but I can imagine the whole process would take a lot longer with those ingredients.

How is the airsoft scene in Hawaii? And what Island is Kihei on? Oahu?

Steve

Hawaii, at least you doing it all backwards lets us know that its much better to use broader sharpies and acetone nail polish remover--you helped refine the process :D

Still didn't come out bad--but I can imagine the whole process would take a lot longer with those ingredients.

How is the airsoft scene in Hawaii? And what Island is Kihei on? Oahu?

Steve

Might as well put this double post to good use:

Crunchy Bunny posted a guide of his own to the aging of a plastic AK receiver. His method is far more sophisticated then anything I have done here, so I highly recommend this be the 'next step' for all interested:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=101596

Steve

How is the airsoft scene in Hawaii?  And what Island is Kihei on?  Oahu?

Steve

I actualy tryed to fix it up Thursday because I got a regular sharpie and it looks a lot better. Kihei is located on Maui and Airsoft here is not that great. Were I live there are no airsoft stores that sell AEG, good bbs, batterys, ect at a good price! The only place to get a good gun would cost you more than $200! For example, I say a CYMA CM.027 a while back for $209. Thats why I always have to order Online. I was thinking to my self that I would rather get a TM! =] If you guys ever move to Hawaii, go to Oahu because they have better airsoft stores and fields. :D

Bummer--is there a band of skirmishers at least?  I know that there is something of a following on Oahu, but Maui... must be rough to be living in paradise and not be able to shoot anyone!

I agree! :D I am startin up people to have war and stuff but so far no one has a TM or other hight quality guns. I would like to be the first though. :) But yeah, airsoft is not big here... YET!

I was actually browsing your website yesterday, Alakdan.  Did you age the wood on your M14 as well or did you go out and get a real stock for that one?

Looks great.

Steve

nah yet my friend...Oh My...NOOOOO...its a TM...

nah yet 'til so many battle scratch maybe... :blink:

Thanks for visiting my URL my friend!

Regards,

jojo

Archived