This isn't so much a review, it's more a set of observations. It's to help/inform/whatever anyone who's bought one and they think that something is wrong. Firstly, a little back story.

On Tuesday the 6th, a friend brought to out local club his newly aquired AGM XM8. We were quite impressed. Well, I was impressed enough (sudden salty smelling wet patch in my trousers impressed) to buy one from Actionhobbies the next day. On Friday it arrived (Spiffing service Actionhobbies!). Now the following is the culmination of my friends comments made on Tuesday and my observations made on Friday.

My friend had already stripped his XM8 down and upgraded to 1J. He commented that is gearbox had a mixture of metal and plastic bearings. He thought that the makers just put in bearings that they had to hand at the time. I stripped mine down and found that my bearings were all plastic. What he said is probibly true.

His XM8 was quiet as a mouse. He then fitted a sliencer and the report was further muted. He reckoned that in a woodland and being 40 foot away from a target, you wouldn't be able to hear the AEG at all. Mine sounds like your average AEG (whirrr, phut, clank).

He had changed his battery from the supplied ni-cad to an after market nimh. I had a nimh supplied with the gun. He commented that when he first powered up his gun, the motor would slow down and speed up. Mine works perfect. Again, it's reckoned that AGM put in batteries that were to hand at the time. Others have commented that Chinese batteries are generally rubbish. Mine's a good-un.

The following are my own observations.

Although the gearbox is a clone of the TM V3, they're not the same. I put the XM8 gearbox next to the one on my TM AK47. The only difference worth noting is that the cylinder on the XM8 is longer than the one on the AK. I've no idea if this will effect upgrade options as I haven't that far.

The hop-up unit is a slide type similar to the one found on the TM AK, but again, they're not the same. The TM hop unit wont fit the XM8. THe XM's hop is shorter from the mounting holes to the gearbox and longer from the mounting holes to the barrel socket than the TM hop.

Lastly, TM G38 mags will fit the AGM, but only if you modify the XM8's hop. The diameter of the tube (where it plugs into the magazine) on the XM is slightly smaller than the TM. Simply stick on a piece of tube over the XM's hop and all will be well. I haven't done this and this is what my friend did.

Might I just add: I have a short AGM XM8 and I have worked on several of my friend's ones - THEY ROCK.

My XM8's GB is so quiet that even OUT of the gun it's quieter than most of my AEGs.

It comes 0.8J stock, and it has a very nice RoF.

I'll be posting a full review soonish, where I shall reveal just how awesomely awesome this gun is.