MadBull's Gemtech HALO Silencer

MadBull, Gemtech HALO Silencer Review.

This is the second instalment of a series of reviews of MADBULL’s licensed Gemtech products, If you missed the first one you can read it here.

A lot of players out there still haven’t really heard about GemTech, so here is a little more information on them. GemTech is recognized as the world leader in modern firearm silencer design. They maintain a staff of experienced designers and production engineers to bring you the latest in silencer technology for government, law enforcement, military and qualified civilian applications.

Here is some information on the real steal GemTech HALO silencer:

The HALO is our true ‘grunt’ suppressor – rock solid, easy to use, and requires no modification to the host weapon. It utilizes a simple, patented, no-tools mounting system that slips over most NATO weapon 5.56mm flash hiders. There is no need for proprietary mounts or modifications to the barrel. It may be swapped between many different weapons easily, including the M16, M4, HK416, and M249.

HALO’s have earned a reputation as a product of exceptional quality at an absolutely fair price. Welded construction alone isn’t enough – the HALO is a fully welded inconel and stainless suppressor core encased in a stainless shell for double-walled security and impressive longevity. If you break things for a living, this is durable enough to be your can. Birthed for battle, the HALO has proven itself in conflicts around the globe.

For 2007, the combat-proven HALO gets better by trimming weight and length while retaining the same excellent dB and flash reduction.

Calibre 5.56 mm NATO (.223)

O.A. Length 7.75 inch (197 mm)

Diameter 1.5 inch (38 mm)

Weight    25 ounces (700 gm)

Materials 300 series stainless steels

Finish Matte Black Oxide

List Price $695.00

So does the Airsoft version meet up to the same specs as its real steal counter part?

Packaging.

Again the HALO comes in the standard cardboard box with the stylish product identification sticker on the top, again less money spent on packaging more cash into the product….hopefully!

boxexternalmediumnd9.jpg

Again we are greeted with the GemTech, Boise, ID card, informing us that we have just bought a fully licensed version of their product. Since the last review I have found out that GemTech actually take a batch of the Airsoft version to make sure it is up to their standards, even better for us!

boxinternalmediumql5.jpg

The product again is well packaged and wrapped securely in bubble wrap to protect it during transit or storage.

Inside you’ll get the HALO silencer unit and the adapter ring, both are made from high grade Aluminium and feature laser etched trademarks and logos identical to those of the real steal.

whatsintheboxmediumtm9.jpg

The mounting ring.

The mounting ring is designed just like the original to fit over standard NATO weapon 5.56mm flash hiders, just by touch you can tell this will not only take a lot of punishment but is also made with the end user in mind.

The ring it’s self has a fantastic non-slip textured finish with tapered edges, with no sharp edges to snag or catch on kit, or cause damage to other pieces of kit.

mountingring2mediumwr3.jpg

mountingring1mediumxu1.jpg

The mounting ring slips neatly over the flash hider, please note though that this is not like the G5 and is not designed to stay in place when the silencer is removed and will not fit certain types of flash hiders.

mountingringmediumdu8.jpg

As this ring fits over the flash hider it doesn’t matter if you use a CCW or CW type flash hiders and so is ideal for people wanting to mount this silencer on multiple weapon systems including LSW’s!

The Silencer.

Now before I start on the silencer there are a few things you guys need to know, first off MadBull has made two types of the HALO Silencer, the Non-US version which actually has silencing capabilities due to the high compact foam inside it, and the US version that is a solid aluminum tube.

Now the reason for the difference is because unregistered silencers are totally illegal in US, importing one will get you into a whole lot of trouble with the authorities as these are restricted items by the ATF.

M30) Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers NFA firearms?

The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax. See Questions M15 and 16 for application details.

If I have any further questions as to the classification of a paintball or airgun silencer, who should I contact?

Please send a written request to ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a), 27 CFR 479.11]

This review is on the Non-US version that actually has silencing capabilities.

The MadBull GemTech HALO silencer weighs in at 198g which is a lot lighter than the real steal counter part, but being made out of aluminum rather than steal will do that.

silencermediumdd1.jpg

Again the silencer unit is fully traded marked using laser etching, so there is no need to worry about it wearing off. The other nice touch is that the silencer comes with its own unique serial number, another nice feature that you don’t get with other products!

laseretchedmarkings1medvx7.jpg

laseretchedmarkings2medgb3.jpg

It attaches to the mounting ring using a CCW thread and is very easy to mount. Basically slide the silencer over the flash hider and screw it down till tight. Please remember though that the mounting style is designed to trap your flash hider between the silencer unit and the mounting ring, so over tightening the unit may result in damage to either the HALO system or your barrel/flash hider.

fullymountedmediumll6.jpg

The overall finish of the silencer is very neat with a non-reflective matt black finish and when mounted really looks the business.

buisnessendmediumgp0.jpg

lr300andhalomediumag8.jpg

One of the details that I didn’t really go into in the G5 review was the actual silencing/ sound suppressing material used inside and I referred to it as foam which is incorrect. The material is a woven fabric that is compressed into disks which then line the inside of the silencer with small gaps in-between each disk making a very effective silencer. Another key feature of the material lining over foam is that the material will not tear or burr if a BB hits it for some reason as it exits the gun, which eventually renders the foam lined silencer useless.

silencerinternalsmediumba4.jpg

Field Report.

Now, I wanted to make this report a little different to that of the GemTech G5 review as the HALO pretty much plays the same way as the G5 and I didn’t really feel it was fair to rehash the same sort of review for both the readers and MadBull. If you want to know how the HALO worked out on the skirmish field head over to the G5 review and you’ll get a good idea, although please note that the HALO system is probably better installed before a game for the duration of the game as it isn’t as quick mount as the G5.

So this field report is actually on if this model does provide the player with suppressing capabilities. I’m going to be using an YFE sound level meter that is used by both the Japanese police and also the environmental dept. here in Japan to see if it does reduce the signature noise of a weapon.

yfesoundlevelmetermediurl6.jpg

The test will be conducted on the G&G GR300. (Please note that a lot of the noise produced by Airsoft weapons is generated by the gear box, this test is for muzzle signature noise only.)

Test 1:

This test was conducted using SIIS .20g BB’s without the silencer attached. The gear box has not been modified in any way. All reading was taken in the units “High” mode, which are shown in red. Please click on the image to view the video.

videolink1mediumwincetl7.jpg

As you can see from the video the average reading was about 89 dB without the silencer.

Test 2:

This test was conducted using SIIS .20g BB’s with the silencer attached. The gear box has not been modified in any way. All reading was taken in the units “High” mode, which are shown in red. Please click on the image to view the video.

videolink2mediumwincecz7.jpg

As you can see from the video the average reading was about 82 dB with the silencer.

Conclusion.

I must say, that again MadBull has produced an excellent piece of equipment and on a silenced gearbox will really reduce the muzzle noise signature. On average there was a 7dB reduction in the noise level, but the gear box on the GR300 is extremely loud. When I have the house to myself again I will run the test again using some other weapons in my collection including a noise reduced gear box that I have one my M4A1 (Currently on the bench due to a striped gear, yes it does happen to Marui gun’s!)

All in all the MadBull Gemtech HALO silencer is excellent and in comparison to the G5 I would say that this is more suited to the masses as it doesn’t require you to have a certain thread system on your barrel but if your looking to mount the silencer in a hurry nothing compares to the G5. The look of the HALO is great and really does add that certain touch to the look of the weapon you mount it on, and on my HK416D just finish the look.

hk416dmediumnf0.jpg

Final verdict 9/10

Pro’s:

• Will fit most all M4/M16 flash hiders.

• Universal attachment (Does not require certain barrel thread).

• 100% like for like of real steal counterpart.

• High quality finish.

• High quality internals.

• Fully licensed by Gemtech.

• Actually suppresses noise.

• Two versions to cover US silencer laws.

• Unique serial number.

Conn’s:

• Not as quick mounting as the GemTech G5

• Does not come with rubber crush ring, like real steal version.

Yep that’s it on the cons! I think if it had come with rubber crush ring that inserts into the silencer this product would be near on perfect, everything apart from the materials is 1:1 accurate to its real steal counterpart and as more and more players are looking for accurate replicas this silencer really does make it one of the best on the market for both quality and price!

Next review coming very soon!

redwincecv1.jpg

As usual, excellent review!

A few questions for you:

About how much rearward clearance is necessary beyond the rear of the flash hider in order to mount the Halo? Prior to your review, I didn't think it could work with a G&P CQBR barrel. However, this picture has me second guessing.

Also, what flash hider features does the mounting ring require for compatibility? I'm curious if it would work with a Proud Troy Muzzle Brake.

Edited by davedawg123

Ok your only going to need arounf 3mm of clearance to fit this silencer as for features needed to fit the silencer there is only one really and that is the overall diameter of the flash hider.

So far it fits all but one of my weapons and the one flasher hider that it fails to fit over is the original G&G GR300 flasher hider, right nw i don't have my calipers but the G&G flash hider is over 20mm.

I just love that mounting system - very clever.

However, it's waaaaaaaaaaay out of my price range...

As a matter of interest, ELEMENT silencers have unique serial numbers too - probably taking the idea from MadBull.

Cheapskate :P

Lovely looking supressor - another excellent review FarEast :D

It's a shame that I don't own a 5.56 based gun or I'd get one. Yup, I'm one of the airsofters who won't ever put a socom supressor on an M4, or a M14 DC on an MP5 hehe.

Edited by Shard
Cheapskate  :P

Lovely looking supressor - another excellent review FarEast  :D

It's a shame that I don't own a 5.56 based gun or I'd get one. Yup, I'm one of the airsofters who won't ever put a socom supressor on an M4, or a M14 DC on an MP5 hehe.

Me too! I had to go to great lengths to get a final part for the next review as there was no way i was going to do a review on a 9mm silencer with a weapon that fired 5.56!!!!

I hope that Madbull makes the Gemtech HVT Silencer.

Far east, If i may guess i Would say the disks are made of filted wool, at lest that was what the disk on the cymbals felt like when i played drums back in elementary scool.

Great review by the way!

PS If it is wool then it should be fire retardant.

Damn, thats not cool...

What's not cool is if you have the Europe/Asia version in the U.S. and the Feds catch you... Owning a "Silencer" without a Federal Tax Stamp is a Felony.... And you don't want to go to Levinworth over a silencer for on a toy gun.

I have the U.S. Legal version of the Gemtech Halo and it's absolutely GORGEOUS! Madbull did a faithful repro of the real deal and for a lot less than $695.00 + $300 for the tax stamp :) It's just designer ware for on an airsoft in the US, but it sure looks good! :)

Fareast,

Excellent review as always! And I hop Madbull keeps up the fantastic work! Now this is a company that knows how to make truly high quality products for us Airsofters!

(And reasonable prices)