Complete Ghillie Thread

The Chef

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im going to make a poncho/cape style ghillie(hooded of course). It will have strings on the edges for me to fasten it to my back. The string will go from my shoulder along the edge all the way to my other shoulder, so when I throw the cloak to my back and pull the strings, it should become a small lump on my back.

I do this because my teams gamestyle is quite swift, and I move alot durning play. I figured, this kind of camo will be better for me than a full ghillie suit. Imight semi-wookie my trousers though.

I'll post pics when its done. Its winter here now, so no need for it yet.

It will have strings on the edges for me to fasten it to my back. The string will go from my shoulder along the edge all the way to my other shoulder, so when I throw the cloak to my back and pull the strings, it should become a small lump on my back.

Nice, I was wondering about something similar...

Anyway, where are you in that pic? :unsure:

In the middle, the lighter bush is me.

i still cant see you!! lol

would you care to put a ring round your position?

- on a separate note - i wore my ghillie to a game yesterday and it seemed to do ok! - didnt get the chance to hide and ambush people as the game moved too fast!

(its only a 3/4 length one)

i'll see if i can get some "in-action" pics up shortly!

cheers all

Right.. I've "finally" got around to cataloging some of my Ghillie suits and i've started adding some of the photos to my Bebo photos page.

So, check out:

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbum.jsp?MemberI...umId=3405073636

for pictures of my last 11 Ghillie suits (or the last 11 whose photos i can find at the moment!)

They might be useful/relevant for people currently making a suit as i've used LOADS of different construction techniques and materials and if i get time soon i'll add more detailed information about that in the comments for them.

I hope that is of interest?

...thats ... a lot lol

great work on those ghillies

:)

i know, i know, it's a bit sad really.

But i'm on a bit of a mission to make the "ultimate" design of Ghillie suit! Hence some of the more "interesting" designs and colour combinations.

Keep in mind, that im wearing no ghilliesuits whatever. Its just some natural vegetation attached to a bhi tac-1 vest (the husky model, as I'm some 195cm tall ).

another pic

The camo-poncho is quite handy, as long as you remember to leave an opening on the front, for easy acces to your chestrig/vest/whateva. Its not as hot as a full ghillie, allows easy running and still concels you quite well, if you choose your position decently.

How would I go about attaching hessian to my concealment vest?  Would I attach it to the fabric or to the elastic loops?  Would glue work, or would I have to sew it to get it attached properly?

Attach it to the fabric and leave the foliage loops for natural vegetation (in my opinion)

There are loads of ways of attaching the hessian. Some i have used are:

a. Needle and thread with black cotton and sew each bit on.

b. Use a wool Needle and green garden twine instead of thread to sew the pieces on with (MUCH quicker than a!)

c. Gluegun - this is ok (ish) but not to everyones tastes and can leave shiny residue.

d. enlarge some holes on the netting on the vest and just tie it on.

I normally use "b", but "a" is in my opinion the better option as it provides a quite strong attachment BUT if you get snagged on something, a few loops of cotton are easier to break in order to free yourself.

What are the disadvantages to the glue?

It takes forever, its very difficult to get a "natural" look since many of the strands point in all different directions unless you payed alot of attention during the gluing, the glue tends to fall off with wear/use, and the end product is usually an ineffective "wookie" style ghillie because you have to keep adding to cover any exposed glue, since it shows up like a sore thumb.

one more would be, use small peices of fabric, netting, and straps to make removable "patches" of ghillie then weave it under the foliage loops like MOLLE gear.

You gave me a good idea indeed... :book:

Same here! hummmm the "modular" ghillie suit...... :)

TDS also raised another interesting issue, namely

an ineffective "wookie" style ghillie

I know that "proper" military snipers are taught to go for a 60% natural to 40% artificial foliage split when working with a Ghillie suit, meaning that "real" military Ghillie suits can have what seems to be quite sparse artificial foliage.

But, and this is one of the areas that interests me, in Airsoft or other situations where you don't have the luxury of time to keep re-applying natural vegetation as your surrounding change is it possible to alter that natural/artificial foliage split and still have an effective Ghillie suit?

That's what got me "tinkering" in the first place, as well as my laziness in the field to get the secetuers out :)

See my avatar for one example of where a "Wookie" suit was "fairly" effective - or at least it was when i was laying down and not posing for the camera man!

Archived