• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've made a shroud which I use for hunting, works a treat even wearing jeans and a t shirt underneath. And the smell, well put it this way it doesn't disturb the wild life but my better half does make me keep it out in the garage...

But I suppose if your only using it for airsoft you could always keep a bottle of fabreese nearby.

• 1 year later...

Time for some garnish. (No, not real "TC" hood :P )

33bLYUF.jpg

Not sure what to tie on yet, maybe some burlap and raffia fiber.

Also looking at synthetic materials, I'm currently having an imagination that synthetic materials are not as moisture-absorbing and could be lighter, or I could just cut up some old camo BDUs and tie on it.

• 1 month later...

It start of like this: (Yes, same pic as above)
Hood from A-Two, basically a copy of TC MCM Viper Hood, I've already changed the front buckle since original looks inferior, also tied down sleeves and back of head to check fitment. 
4earSpmh.jpg

While still had not decided what to put on the hood, I stumbled upon a real TC back drape on ebay, used but like new, for cheap (!!) , in CB color though.
In fact A-Two also makes one, but it's out of stock and with no production schedule.

BTW, not really garnishing this for now, just showing off :P ( Sorry to the other guy for me winning the bid, if he ever sees this. )
Real reason is the following plan is simply just too labor intensive, let's just save that for later.

xV7H8mch.jpg
MX01IJXh.jpg
NHgPrmth.jpg

I then checked what to garnish on the hood, struggling between different materials, I started talking to myself:

Yo dawg, I heard yo like MC mesh so I tie some MC mesh onto MC mesh.

And it seems I'm not the only one:
http://multicam-inside.fr/forum/topic/3989-realisation-ghillie-full-multicam-conseils-bienvenus/
Looks great, now to source some fabric and a pizza cutter.
I also added some lightweight MC ripstop nylon to cut cost add layering.
2LwGsuXh.jpg

The blade became dull after I cut 100-ish of these, those blades are expensive! :(
ELLx2XWh.jpg

Trying few zip-tie techniques and patterns to see if the texture is "destructive" enough to break head/shoulder lines.
4QQlp1eh.jpg

Half of head and one shoulder done, looks OK for my purpose.
8ttRPSih.jpg

Worked my way the rest and, viola!
ioSG3BHh.jpg
MiEk7jRh.jpg
WZ4xnPYh.jpg
ydFq7mMh.jpg
CHDN3jwh.jpg

Field trail! But first let me take a selfie. <3
smZq6qoh.jpg

Hmm... after taking the pics I decided to "fill" the rim of hood and few bald spots, will settle for now, let's see how it works in field.

Before anyone asks:

• Considering humidity here in HK, I choose to use all synthetic material for hygiene / maintenance reasons.
  • Since the whole thing is some kind of nylon, I believe it's EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE, I guess it won't see open flames so it's fine for me. (except I used candle fire to melt edges of EVERY SINGLE PIECE of ripstop nylon "leaves", short fiber strands just keep coming off after I cut them, hence I said labor intensive above. )
  • Glows in the dark if viewed through IR-illuminated NVG, if anyone concerns, yay! (No, I won't play night games and NVG not that common here in HK.)
  • Multicam, like holsters, if made to fit everything, it won't actually fit anything. Choosing a transitional camouflage is like compromise to everything.
  • Due to local field size ("field" field here is like CQB field in the States :P), you use low to no concealment or dress yourself like Chewbacca, in-between like this is just weird but it's fun, why not?
  • I have some left over fabrics so I will make a face veil out of mesh, and maybe a TC Boomslang-ish rifle ghillie foundation.

I knocked together this assault ghillie hood out of a camo net and some hardware I had kicking around here, a few months back.
Since then the webbing and buckles has been hit up with a metric shitton of paint to blend it, but other than that I'm very happy with the outcome.

11540860_1609206466016736_22327655871441

11713711_1609206469350069_42706651081906

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Bit of a specific research question here, relating to leaf templates and 3d style suits. The website I saw created a sort of poncho looking thing from template cut tropical leaves, but the principle could of course be applied to any garment. Katotaka a couple of posts up has a very similar approach.

The question really is does anyone think that the principle would carry over from tropical settings to UK settings, with regard to leaf type, colour and mix of vegetation? The photo below show the results from the website I was looking at, photo credits watermarked.

post-22650-0-51027600-1453410885_thumb.jpg

I'm taking a guess that to be effective, a certain type or colour of vegetation would need to be stuck to, leading to limits of areas you can hide in, but the intent was to make a lightweight set up for moving around and staying put against the relevant background for short times only.

Thanks for any advice, I'm sure there are many people around here with plenty of knowledge!

I'm old-school, and rely on hessian and natural veg. The 3d ones seem... I don't know, a cheap fix? Can't quite put my finger on it.

I've found even with an old style ghillie, even if you can't be arsed to stuff it with veg every time you change environment, it still breaks your shape up enough to trick most airsofters. The amount of times I've been stood on is silly.

Match the hessian colours to the majority of your site and crack on! Stuff veg in if you get time :)

It's been in game and when I arrived the field I was like " WHAT THE...... hey it's winter! How in the ^@#* the grass is GREEN?"

OO9p7au.jpg

lNCrwcm.jpg

( just posing for pics, not actual in-game )

BTW, I also made a face viel thing.

2aK0KN4.jpg

The leaf-like texture breaks up head and shoulder lines very nicely, color was off but it does really, really well when I went prone. I could also hit a few guys who were trying to ambush my team in very close range by just laying on the ground, I assumed they couldn't see me. The "dead" spectators on 2nd floor ( note containers in background ) even wondered how did those guys got hit.

• 1 year later...

It start of like this: (Yes, same pic as above)
Hood from A-Two, basically a copy of TC MCM Viper Hood, I've already changed the front buckle since original looks inferior, also tied down sleeves and back of head to check fitment. 
4earSpmh.jpg

While still had not decided what to put on the hood, I stumbled upon a real TC back drape on ebay, used but like new, for cheap (!!) , in CB color though.
In fact A-Two also makes one, but it's out of stock and with no production schedule.

BTW, not really garnishing this for now, just showing off :P ( Sorry to the other guy for me winning the bid, if he ever sees this. )
Real reason is the following plan is simply just too labor intensive, let's just save that for later.

xV7H8mch.jpg
MX01IJXh.jpg
NHgPrmth.jpg

I then checked what to garnish on the hood, struggling between different materials, I started talking to myself:

Yo dawg, I heard yo like MC mesh so I tie some MC mesh onto MC mesh.

And it seems I'm not the only one:
http://multicam-inside.fr/forum/topic/3989-realisation-ghillie-full-multicam-conseils-bienvenus/
Looks great, now to source some fabric and a pizza cutter.
I also added some lightweight MC ripstop nylon to cut cost add layering.
2LwGsuXh.jpg

The blade became dull after I cut 100-ish of these, those blades are expensive! :(
ELLx2XWh.jpg

Trying few zip-tie techniques and patterns to see if the texture is "destructive" enough to break head/shoulder lines.
4QQlp1eh.jpg

Half of head and one shoulder done, looks OK for my purpose.
8ttRPSih.jpg

Worked my way the rest and, viola!
ioSG3BHh.jpg
MiEk7jRh.jpg
WZ4xnPYh.jpg
ydFq7mMh.jpg
CHDN3jwh.jpg

Field trail! But first let me take a selfie. <3
smZq6qoh.jpg

Hmm... after taking the pics I decided to "fill" the rim of hood and few bald spots, will settle for now, let's see how it works in field.

Before anyone asks:

• Considering humidity here in HK, I choose to use all synthetic material for hygiene / maintenance reasons.
  • Since the whole thing is some kind of nylon, I believe it's EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE, I guess it won't see open flames so it's fine for me. (except I used candle fire to melt edges of EVERY SINGLE PIECE of ripstop nylon "leaves", short fiber strands just keep coming off after I cut them, hence I said labor intensive above. )
  • Glows in the dark if viewed through IR-illuminated NVG, if anyone concerns, yay! (No, I won't play night games and NVG not that common here in HK.)
  • Multicam, like holsters, if made to fit everything, it won't actually fit anything. Choosing a transitional camouflage is like compromise to everything.
  • Due to local field size ("field" field here is like CQB field in the States :P), you use low to no concealment or dress yourself like Chewbacca, in-between like this is just weird but it's fun, why not?
  • I have some left over fabrics so I will make a face veil out of mesh, and maybe a TC Boomslang-ish rifle ghillie foundation.

Real nice job sir !

Archived