Complete Ghillie Thread

The Chef

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, could u please check my first made ghillie... Im open to suggestions / comments

I used bdu, glue gun, fish net, hessian rope...

I just finished fraying it and now im at the finishing touches,

While im at it, i need some comments on what i could add/remove

Sorry for pic quality and background, its all concrete here at my place

Will field test it on gameday sept 5

Oh and will be putting on rubberbands to attach natural vegetation

First pic, lower back not frayed yet. was an older pic.

62385222.jpg

4371b835.jpg

Hey guys im going to be sniping, so what do you guys suggest I wear? I must get googles, boots, hydration carrier. What else does a sniper need? Ghillie? And how would I hold my mags If i were to wear a ghillie, and I will be moving place to place because the gbbr is pretty loud but Ill be only taking a few shots. So, thanks again!

ooh, i'm sick of hearing this...

"i'm a sniper. what do i need? i have no time to build a gun. i have no time to make a ghillie. i have no time to learn how to develop any skills in regards to learning the art of sniping. but i'm a sniper, because i just decided i want to be."

basically, its just

"ive got a COD game, and tried the sniper option. i want this in airsoft. tell me how to do it, bitches. without me having to do any work on my part."

no, you dont need to make a ghillie. no you dont need a bolt action rifle. no, you dont need to develop fieldcraft to help you be a better player. no you dont need to learn to hold off from shooting and just give intel to your team. yes, you can play using an M4. but then you are not a sniper. you aint even a DM. you are a rifleman.

patience is one of the best things to learn if you want to get into this game.

Technically, sniping is more of a tactic than a i have a ghillie and a BASR Role. You could snipe with a $2 pistol as long as you use field craft and camouflage to remain unseen. So what if he has an M4? So what if it's loud? Real gun's are loud and you can still remain stealthy so long as you know how to do it form <100m.remeber, this is airsoft, one of the main things that draws people in is that they can use whatever style gun they so choose so long as its withtin FPS limits.

Remember, at one point we were all N00bs, and we all had N00bish questions. No use in bashing somebody over it. If they after decide that they don't like sniping after wasting all there time and money then that is on their shoulders, and they will make a nice target to shoot at.

As far as the ghillie- no you dont need one depending on your enviornment. The main thing is natural vegetation-rubber bands, para-cord, and those loops on your boonie hat work very well. focus on the head/neck/shoulders area. Take a look around your field and describe it for us and maybe we can give you a little better advice on the ghillie.

Scar

Hey man, Ive played airsoft for about 5 years, if anything I know paitent, I have a job and I go to college to be a medical student and I really dont have the time and no I dont play cod, yes I have played them but thats not real sniping at all, all this airsoft stuff I pay for my self and play for my enjoyment, please dont say that Im a "noob" and what not, trust me Ive been there and done that, sniping is a new skill I want to learn that is all, I just need some starting advice.

Here is a video, where I show you that you don't need much to be effective.

It is a factory standard rifle with the cheapest ammo going and no ghillie suit (just a ghillie hat, face viel and camelback with elastic bands and shock cord attached).

Hope that helps,

Good Hunting ;)

By Noob, i simply meant new to the role of sniping, not noob to airsoft in general-my fault for not being more clear.

I find that you will probably like sniping if patience is something you have.

Phantoms video is a perfect example of how cheap and effective simple camo systems can be, no need for a bulky full body suit, so long as you have sufficient ground cover head and shoulders will be fine. Remember to use dead space to your advantage, this is what will keep you unseen the most.

By Noob, i simply meant new to the role of sniping, not noob to airsoft in general-my fault for not being more clear.

I find that you will probably like sniping if patience is something you have.

Phantoms video is a perfect example of how cheap and effective simple camo systems can be, no need for a bulky full body suit, so long as you have sufficient ground cover head and shoulders will be fine. Remember to use dead space to your advantage, this is what will keep you unseen the most.

Well im not mad at anyone for calling me a noob, its just that guy blurted out a lot about me not having time and thats what set me off, but yeah that vid really helps, I think ill be getting a vsr-10 and painting it as well, hopefully Ill turn out to be a good sniper, hey may I ask hows that dragunov svd by real sword, would that be another option or a waste of money?

Well im not mad at anyone for calling me a noob, its just that guy blurted out a lot about me not having time and thats what set me off

erm, yah.

i was a bit curt with you there, and i apologise for that.

its just that a lot of folk here take their time tweaking rifles and making ghillies, range testing etc. watch any of bushmans videos to see the dedication some folk go to, and then someone pipes up with the 'no time for stuff', and i saw red. i'd just worked a 20 hour shift, and was a bit ratty, so again, i apologise for that :) no excuse, but there it is.

as for ghillies, no, they are not necessary. i rarely use mine on a normal skirmish tbh. more for weekenders.

i have made a few though, and they can be made with not a lot of time. barring the dying of hessian/jute etc, i can usually put a webtex style suit together in an afternoon, including hat, gloves and gaiters. so if you get everything together, they can be made a bit at a time, eg half an hour a night while in front of the tv or whatever!

hope that helps a bit :)

alrighty, yeah i may just make my own, ill get a pre-made kit you know like for 50 dollars I think they sell and then ill just string it to one of those vests, and im hoping they make a legging bit as well, but ill have to keep looking, if you guys know where to get the webbing vest and that webbing leggings ill get both and see how my exp. with ghillie making goes.

Oh and for shmook, I understand its fine, ive worked night shifts for 11 hours to be a med student thats such a pain in the *albatross*.

yup ;)

as for the kits, dont bother. i got one from america, and it was a ball ache to tie it all onto netting which covered my bdu's. it turned out to be faster actually dying hessian, waiting for it to dry, and then shredding it. a hot glue gun will save you hours of time instead of tie-ing it all on by hand. it was also massively bulky and stupidly hot.

as for leggings, no idea. never seen any you could just buy off the shelf... the vests are made by webtex, and also arktis (both british im afraid, and basically both the same). ive seen an american-brand vest too, but cant remember who makes it. try ebay maybe :)

you probably dont need full leggings. my first was like that, and a true pain. hot, and snagged on everything. ive since made some gaiters which are very lightweight, and just covet the back of my legs.

hope that helps!

mg4821.jpg

This is mine.

My usual haunt is quite brown for most of the year then in summer I just whack the foliage in and it greens it up again.

Got out to clean all the ###### off and discovered a bit of a patch has appeared on the left ..

Bloody sewing :P

Archived