Complete Ghillie Thread

The Chef

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do some like string, some leave the cross threads. Make it all different and so it doesn't look uniform. The human eye tries to make things symetrical and uniform.... this is how not to do a good ghillie. Make it look patchy and somehow unfinished.

Hope that helps.

Good Hunting ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've already started my Ghillie Suit in the "stringy" kind of way with no "strips" of Hessian. any suggestions on how I should Fray this? I'm scared incase a wire brush rips out the strings...

I found the easiest way is to start at the top hold the string in one hand then untwist it with the fingers of your other hand. This will separate the three (or two depending on what you are using) individual threads making up the string. If you let go now it would spin back together and go back to being pretty much as it started.

Now put a finger in the 'hole' that's opened up and pull down.

Since you knotted the top it cannot come completely undo but you will be left with three separate, thinner strings.

I used a mix of this and very frayed strip to make my ghillie.

ps if this is unclear I will take a photo or something. Very esay to do and I hope its clear but might not be.

Hey, I was wondering if all camo netting actually comes attached to a net, or is some of it only made out of that plastic-fabric like material?

I'm working on a ghillie and I need a net to attach burlap to, but I'm not sure if this actually comes with a net or not:

camo netting

Thanks!

Looks like the same stuff we use in the British Army, these comes as a seperate net and the foliage patches that had to be put on seperate. We used to spend 100's of hours making them for vehicles.

• 1 month later...

Update: now i've tested my ghillie in a real skirmish, and i gotta say, i think im liking the role/art of sniping/sneaking, being behind enemy lines...

I had 1 knife kill, and bingo'ed a guy 10 feet away... I was testing how close i could get, and it was really close...

They say, when they have spooted me, i disappear, i guess it works well...

Here's some pics in the safe area, note that i operate in the dark green area in the background... This pics was only a ingame test scene to see what needs to be adjusted...

0f84cc9e.jpg

ba174789.jpg

028c1d56.jpg

Theres more if u'd like... Thx...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this has been addressed already, but I have a small question regarding the construction of a ghillie. I will be constructing my second one soon. My first one was alright but it can be approved on (Hence why I am creating another, I think it can be seen pages back). How is everyone going about adding natural foliage to their suits? I used some sort of decorative fish net for the first suit (http://content.vcommerce.com/products/844/47608844/fullsize.jpg). Would using larger netting (Such as some form of sports net) help with adding natural foliage or is there some sort of method I am unaware of?

Use elastic for loops, foliage falls out of mesh far easier under movement as there is no positive retention.

The webtex vests have elastic straps sewn in, which are ok but not the best. I've been toying with the idea of shock cord and those sprung toggles to hold veg in :)

The thing with that is that the mesh will still 'give', not forming up tight on the veg, similar to what happens with the webtex vests now.

It's hard to explain, but the elastic pulling back tight opens up the loop allowing veg to fall out easier. You can compensate for this by stuffing in bigger bunches of veg I suppose, but it's nice to have the option of not having to cut tons of the stuff to fill a vest when it's not always necessarily needed :)

Edit, rubber bands are good on the gun, but bare in mind the really thick ones, although strong, show up from a distance, so try thinner ones. I also use shock cord criss-crossed around the barrel.

I think I understand what you're saying. With shock cord, you could make the "loops", very small - say just one or two mesh hole space between them which would allow you to add smaller amounts/size veg. Of course the problem is then finding them on the vest. I have enough trouble finding the existing ones, although mine is fairly hessian heavy - ymmv.

• 1 month later...

Nice start to your ghillie for that environment/season.

Perhaps you should dull it by putting it in a muddy puddle and try to scraggle it up abit so the fibres go in different directions?

Maybe try to get it to look like the piece of terrain to the immediate right?

Use real tree tape on the rest of the M4 and small bits of local cam.

All these comments are only subjective as the camera lens often shows slightly different colours or effect, compared to the human eye, or actualy being there.

Good Hunting ;)

Archived