Complete Ghillie Thread

The Chef

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While not really a full ghillie, it does the job. Cape is OD base layer with strips of old NZDPM cut up and tied on, with plenty of loops of green wire to tie on natural vegetation in varying amounts as you can see. After having these pics taken, I realise I need more up on the shoulders and down the middle of the back, so more loops will be added. Weapon cover is old Brit DPM base with a variety of DPM strips and more vegetation wire wound around the barrel and on top of the sights.

Nats2012Meday1ghillie.jpg

Nats2012Day1meghillieprone.jpg

Nats2012Day3MeRecon.jpg

Nats2012Day3MeRecon2.jpg

There is actually a face veil, it was just off for the photos as I was doing more running about than hiding. Someone took a picture of an area I was hiding in on the third day where you can't see me till you know exactly where I am so once I get my hands on that, I'll post it up.

I will say that photo makes it kinda obvious haha. But that was an interesting experience. The photos have certainly helped me identify what needs work, like the face veil, and I reckon I need a higher concentration of natural veg down my back. Just not quite enough for my liking.

• 3 months later...

Decided that I would head out yesterday and put some foliage on my ghillie and take some photo's. Its a green webtex concealment vest with hand dyed natural hessian. Not actually used it in the field yet, maybe two weeks time. I think I should fray some of the strips a bit more.

I am quite pleased with the colour blend, doesn't stand out on the first photo (its a bit low res though not quite as good in the flesh). The foliage definitely makes a difference.

Its just propped up on some sticks as I was on my own but it shows it off reasonably well.

1Noveg.jpg

Close up

2Closeup.jpg

From a distance with some foliage

3Withveg.jpg

Close up of the same photo

4Withveg2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hobbycraft sells it by the metre. No idea how much it is now though, I bout a good dollop of a long time ago :)

If not, try eBay, you can get it in different weights, so don't let the prices fool you!

I personally prefer using hessian sand bags rather than the rolls,as the colour is normally slightly darker/greener(compared to the rolls i have had anyway)

try hardware store or you can buy them on ebay...or if your like me just look for some local roadworks :fear2:

Good topic guys, I have enjoyed the reading and images.

I have just started my first ghillie and would like some feedback please, be gentle this is my first attempt at a ghillie. My theory and idea for mine was too keep it light in colour so it can be used in the winter and the summer, and also be used in multiple locations. I have two locations that I play at and they are both very different so I am having to try and get the happy medium. I play at a venue that is just open grass land with little to no cover, and then I play in a wooded area that is mainly covered in fallen leaves and branches. I have used a webtex concealment vest as the basis of the ghillie and altered the front of the vest to get a good fit, as I found it was far too baggy originally. Instead of dying my own materials I purchased pre dyed jute thread, as it was easier, I have used natural tan as the base colour and am now in the process of adding brown, and various shades of green. my plan is to then use about 40% natural veg from the site that i will be playing at.

Any advice would be super cool.

ghillie 1

It looks alright, but a little heavy in jute.

You really want to be going a 60/40 split the other way, with predominantly natural veg. Especially more so as you will be using it in different environments. Use what is around instead of trying to pre-empt the environment.

Also, could you get another vest? Build one for each site. I know you bought dyed stuff, but Dylon is really cheap, all it costs really is time, and once dry, you can kock a vest up in a couple of hours :)

Edited as 'dylon' came out as 'Dylan' and be no idea if he is cheap...!

Cheers for the advice, I have purchased another vest as I have plenty of pre dyed jute left, so I am going to make another one. The Ghillie pictured above consists of about 3lb of jute thread, do you think I should thin it out a little and by how much? When I start on my other Ghillie do you think I should use the tan base again but this time add more green. Any good knowledge/ advice would be appreciated as I would like to try and get this one finished and dirty them I can star a new one.

Everyone is different, but I would suggest thinning the next one (and the 1st!) out.

As for colours, I can't help as I've not seen the environment they will be used in...

Even then, the same areas vary throughout seasons, so you may want a couple for each site for different times of year! But, this is where a hin base comes in, you just add more of what's natural around you at the time, so it's all good :)

Thanks for getting in touch Schmook. if you look at page 48 of this thread the woodland I play in looks the same as the woodland with the geezer in the ghillie and blue jeans. I have just thinned out my ghillie slightly and thrown it around in a load of soil and water and am now waiting for it to dry. I thought for the woodland on page 48 my choice of colours would be ok as when I turn up to play I can veg it up and then throw leaves and stuff all over it! As for my next project I was thinking of putting a new ghillie together with the same sort of colours as the UK sniper system ghillie for grass land which will suit most grassland environments and if I keep the colour lite again then it should be ok for all year round, as i can keep adding natural veg for the changing seasons!

This is all just guess work from me as I have never tried to make anything like this before, so all your advice etc is appreciated.

Fuzzhead unlucky! you can't rush a ghillie.

yh i ordered a hotglue gun off ebay and its had like 40 sticks in the pick but i thought it was like the previous one i had seen and includes it it only included 2 small ones anyway got like 100 sticks on the way i started my ghillie hat first so i could get better at it should i use strips cut of burlap or de string the burlap and glue that on in bunches

Fuzzhead, you'll be laughing once you get all your glue sticks it will be full steam ahead, and they'll be no stopping you! I have found making my Ghillie fun, but frustrating at times as I have never made one before so it's trial and error. I will have my first outing in mine next week so then I can see what needs tweaking or altering, and see if it works in the environment?

Archived