Complete Ghillie Thread

The Chef

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be a bit too OTT for what you're after, but i've been using:

http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/proddetail.php?prod=po7h12

It's a lighter weave than sandbag hessian, so i can make lighter, quicker drying suits.

The only downside is that it comes in BIG rolls (i've still got TONS in the garage!) and that it might not be to everyones taste as i know some prefer a tighter material weave for when it all fluffs up.

cool link thanks i was looking into it too, but damn thats alot for some hessain i dont really need that much >_> i'll proably search the name of the hessain type and see if i can less of it just so its cheaper tbh lol

thanks though :)

Jas

try and get down to a nursery

its potato season at the mo so they shoudl have a fair few potato sacks lying about!!!!

if you are nice im sure they'd let you have a few!

i got 4 or 5 for free!

if they dont let you have them for free im sure a (insert currency here) would suffice!

regards amsniper

ok - ive seen quite a few people wandering where to get their material for a ghillie

and yes i do think its worth its own thread!

it is currently potato season - as such plant nursery's across the country are bound to have sacks of potatos

you guessed it - these sacks are hessian/jute and are perfect for a ghillie

these can often be had for free or very little indeed!

so for those of you who are struggling to find any - or arent really prepared to pay a great deal for it - try your local nursery.

- potato season ends in about a month or two - so get in there quick!

regards amsniper

Anyone know where I can get some decent plastic plants or leaves? I met a couple of guys with artificial leaves used on their suits and it looked really effective.

L96 on the way :D

EDIT: Found a really good site- www.plantsenhance.com

They sell all sorts of nice ferns and ivy, looks really good for ghillies. Its not that expensive and delivery is free apparrently :)

Hey guys!!

Just decided to try and camo some of the black on my M700 A.I.C.S...

Does anyone have tips on doing this?

Basically, I got scrim, and cable-tied it around the barrel, and front of the scope.

Then I got a British Army surplus Sniper's Veil (£5.00 - bargain!!), and tied the front to the bottom of my scope mount.

Looks alright. Pictures to follow.

How did everybody else do theirs?

Thanks.

Ben.

- I dont have an airsoft sniper rifle

but when i go out hunting with my air rifle - i do the following:

i wrap the stock, as much of the scope as i can, the foregrip,barrel and silencer in pieces of dpm material that i have left over from making my ghillie. this is great because it covers a large area quite easily and protects the rifle a bit. plus it gives a good base to cover over.

i tie these inplace with bits of jute string or green or brown wool i have.

then i wrap it in an old camo net that ive got - to break up the shape a bit more!

i usually cover the objective lense of the scope in scrim netting as it seems to reduce glare a bit and doesnt really affect visability too badly. but if visibility is poor i dont bother!

you may want to add some natural foliage too!

regards amsniper

The barrel is the most prominent bit, so I scrim wrapped it... Unfortunately, it is still shaped like a barrel... But at least it's not black anymore!!

My Sniper's Veil gets in the way a lot.. But should prove useful when shooting!!

Ben.

- mmm - yeah - its difficult to get rid of the basic shape of the gun! - its tens to be the silencer for me - if you get a net and wrap it loosly around teh barrel - that should do the trick nicely - but its a toss up between breaking up the shape and having the net too loose - which is a bugger!

perhaps reasonably loose netting with enough room to push in vegetation is the way to go!

just see what works for you!! - i suppose it does really depend on the ground you play in! - if you've got thick woodland - then maybe a bit of black showing here and there isnt too much of a problem - especially if you keep to the shadows!

but if your in the open on grasslands or something then black is gunna show up a fair bit! so your going to want more camo.

get some pics up - and we'll have a look and see if anything can be improved!

i'll camo my rifle and post pics if it'll help you out?

regards amsniper

do you mean your "sniper viel" is just hanging down from the mid section of the rifle? If so it will not be safe or practical to use. I have used many different gunsocks and gun wraps over the years. I rate scrim net as one of the best ways to cam your gun although I prefere a more slim line approach by using a tight fitting gun sock (ADVANTAGE type) which ghillie can be sewn onto. Also the camo tape is excellent (fabric type in Advantage) to which the odd bit of ghillie can be knotted around the rifle itself.

As a home made rifle cover, I guess my favourite practical design was a british army DPM breathable trouser leg (the zipped version). I cut an old pair of these excellent trousers upI fitted that onto my APS2 MK2 SPORTER.

This was simply cut to length and the barrel end, secured every so often with tape. This gave an irregular shape. Where the front optic was i cut a slit and taped the goretex round the lens. Underneath, I taped the goretex leg on tight and cut a hole the same size as the mag well. I made sure it was well secured. The end of the leg was around the grip section. The inside of a goretex trouser leg bottom, has extra material to give a flared style to allow them being put on over footware. When the zip is fastened, this material is tucked inside and the leg becomes normal. Anyway i used this advantage in the design and cut a slit on the inner extra material for the rear optic. The zip was positioned at the top of the rifle btw. This meant that if zipped up and the velcro tab secured; the rear optic and trigger forwards was completely enclosed from the elements. Something important on multi day events in winter.

While with the zip unfastened, the user places his hand inside the flared trouser leg and therefore his hand/arm is concealed. Cocking the rifle is done inside the material and therefore most of that movement is concealed from teh target (other than any movement in your shoulder. Also as the user is just looking at a large DPM section with the rear optic in the centre, his visibility is massively reduced. i,e he can't look around the rifle very easily. However this works both ways and is concealed from the target by the flared section. This makes your gun and body, far more like 1 object to the viewer.

The loose DPM area can be folded down to give better access in a faster paced section of the game (such as in the photo below). note the small amount of cam net material and knotted scrim net (my favourite bit :P that has been with me since the days of the OLD SKOOL) is tied to the outer barrel. and helps to break up the shape. Having different contrasting areas, really helps on a practical cam layout for such close ranged concealment. I guess the key is to avoid making the gun look like a gun at all.

phantomshoot.jpg

Protected the rifle a treat and in the game (pictured above) I shot both my opponents. I was unseen despite firing off numerous shots to get one guy. I was firing from the postion in the picture and despite him hearing my direction, could not pinpoint me. My cycling of the bolt being concealed by the gun cam probably helped IMO.

Good Hunting ;)

do you mean your "sniper viel" is just hanging down from the mid section of the rifle? If so it will not be safe or practical to use. I have used many different gunsocks and gun wraps over the years. I rate scrim net as one of the best ways to cam your gun although I prefere a more slim line approach by using a tight fitting gun sock (ADVANTAGE type) which ghillie can be sewn onto. Also the camo tape is excellent (fabric type in Advantage) to which the odd bit of ghillie can be knotted around the rifle itself.

Nearly, but not quite!!

The Sniper's Veil is wrapped around the rifle while I'm moving. I figure I won't need to shoot that much on the go, even if I am on the attacking team.

(At my site, some people leave at lunchtime. Usually there is the opportunity to swap teams, to even numbers. If I time it right, I could probably be on the defending team all day!!)

However, when I find a good spot, and put the bipod down, the Sniper's Veil is unwrapped, and draped over myself and the rifle.

It is tied to the bottom of the scope mount, above the breech, and if you can imagine (I'll get pics up later), it starts covering the rifle where the scrim leaves off (At the start of the scope), and is then draped over my head and shoulders.

It is heavier than scrim, and a slightly different colour.

Does anyone know where I can get fake leaves, for the scrim?

Amsniper, pics would be great, thanks!!

Ben.

Does anyone know where I can get fake leaves, for the scrim?

I've been looking for fake plants and leaves lately. there are some good ones on www.plantsenhance.com, but they are quite pricey. There's a link on the most recent page of the ghillie thread (mine, surprisingly...) :P

Archived