Complete Ghillie Thread

The Chef

But, and this is one of the areas that interests me, in Airsoft or other situations where you don't have the luxury of time to keep re-applying natural vegetation as your surrounding change is it possible to alter that natural/artificial foliage split and still have an effective Ghillie suit?

My ghillie is sparse (as in patchy, and is only torso+boonie) and 100% artificial, using hessan, jute, some jagged-cut strips of woodland-camo material and silk plants.

"wookie" style ghillie's dont work for airsoft because they are too heavy, weigh you down, slow you down, and dont blend in a variety of places, in airsoft you need to relocate allmost constantly as after you shoot someone, they will have a good idea what direction and distance you are at. (the guns only shoot 2-300ft after all) so you cant worry about being in the right place where your ghillie is perfect, its better to have a universal patchy style camo suit that can work allmost anywhere.

you can crawl around with an aeg, a full body ghillie, whatever, for a while, but as your targets get better at finding you, you are going to keep gravitating twards lower drag, higher speed, lower weight setups to keep your mobility advantage.

camoing up a rifle, I just used para cord on guns where its applicable, really its not necessary unless you have a solid black rifle, if thats the case i'd paracord or paint the stock then paracord the barrel and scope, no need to add a bunch of poofy junk to it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you can crawl around with an aeg, a full body ghillie, whatever, for a while, but as your targets get better at finding you, you are going to keep gravitating twards lower drag, higher speed, lower weight setups to keep your mobility advantage.

While i disagree that more material heavy suits don't provide as much concealment in a varied environment i would say that the above comment from TDS is probably a really good one as to why not to use the heavier style suits for airsoft!

I used a few REAL heavy suits over the years and have got quickly got annoyed with them in skirmishes, apart from in the middle of winter where the extra warmth was welcomed :)

For camo-ing a rifle, i've used:

. wrap scrim net around it and tie it in place with jute (as shown in my avatar)

. Wrap netting around and attach hessian (as per Ghillie suit) but i found this just got in the way!

. Although the best advice i had ever been given was to apply olive green tape to the rifle and then just smear it with cam cream! works a treat!

How would one attach hessian, or anything else for that matter to their rifles?

i did a netting style ghillie - as i read that if i wanted to alter it in some way after completion all i had to do was untie what id done!

when attaching large bits of hessian (of which there is quite a lot) i simply put a hole in one end witha pencil then put a bit of jute through the hole then tied it on as normal!!

regards amsniper

While i disagree that more material heavy suits don't provide as much concealment in a varied environment i would say that the above comment from TDS is probably a really good one as to why not to use the heavier style suits for airsoft!

if you look at your avatar, thats a good example

if the suit was patchy green/brown with about half as much material, you could go prone and hide on top of those leaves as well as the grass, instead of being a fish out of water when you hit the leaves.

guys, i need an oppinion on this:

DSC02078.jpg

I'm currently building on it( my first ghillie).. I mostly shoot while crouched so i decided for heavy front cover, along the shoulders and arms i will put veggie loops, same on the boonie hat.

I couldn't find the standard materials used ( jute/burlap) so i went for string, pieces of woodland camo material, and a mix of wool and synthetic fibers.

Colors are a bir strong because everything is new, i hope after a couple of skirmishes for the colours to fade/ get dirty so i will blend more easily.

I play mostly in dense woods, visibility ( even now in winter when the trees/bushes are bare) is about 60 meters.. do you guys think this kind of layout will work?

im glad you said about the colours- they are a bot strong!

- i had that problem with some material on my ghillie!

but id did fade after a while!

personally id treat it like rubbish for an hour or so - that will sort it out.

- screw it up

- attack it with a wire brush

then drag it through a muddy puddle and let it dry .

that should sort it!

- i used camo material too. - i think i posted a pic earlier on in this thread! - have a look.

regards amsniper

man i hate fpsdoug

Blasphemy!!!!

#ahem#

Well, after a long, lazy process of doing about 3 hours work once every 2 weeks (I get distracted ;) ) my ghillie is nearly finished. Just a quick question... Do you need to put any strips on the legs or can you just use camo trousers? cos it seems to me that the legs are usually in a relatively hidden position anyway. I'm probably going to do some light work on the legs just in case, but it would be nice to know what others think.

I've also ghillied my M15 lightly. Not the quietest gun in the world, but I can't be bothered to get a bolt-action, and it looks nice :P

dscf0007.jpg

You'll have to excuse the state of my room :blink: I'm in here temporarily while mine is decorated ;)

Do you think the rifle needs more ghillie? Because I have a lot of strips left.

I'll post pics of the full suit when it's done. Maybe even tomorrow :)

It's finished!! :D

As promised:

FinishedGhilliefront1.jpg

FinishedGhillieside1.jpg

It looks better in natural light and surroundings, but you can use your imaginations ;)

About the rifle, I would paint it, but I don't want to dedicate myself like that. I'll just add more ghillie strips to try and minimise the black that shows through.

Hope you like it :)

It's finished!!  :D

As promised:

It looks better in natural light and surroundings, but you can use your imaginations ;)

About the rifle, I would paint it, but I don't want to dedicate myself like that. I'll just add more ghillie strips to try and minimise the black that shows through.

Hope you like it :)

With a bit of natural vegitation and a bit of wear and tear, i reckon you're onto a winner with that one!

• 2 weeks later...

like i said im guessing its for an urban environment?

grey doesnt blend in well in woodland, look at acu.

if its ofr urban i think it should be ok, cos its large straigh lines,

IF it is for woodland, i suggest a different colour, also smaller bits and fray it so it looks more natural.

I've been reading this thread with interest as I'm about to embark on an 8 week (weekend that is) airsoft sniper cadre. I built my ghillie suit last year using a webtex ghillie base, hood sleeves and back. I brought a couple of coffee sacks from e-bay, cut them up and died them and used some natural to pad it out (ran out of dye!) I started sewing the tabs on then gave up and brought a hot glue gun. As a tip, to break up length of strand and double each one up, i folded each hessian strip into an inverted V and glued the apex onto the webtex base. Be sure to have cardboard under this throughout the gluing process, my wife went ballistic the first time I glued the ghillie to the carpet! :o:flamed:

I'm currently building a ghillie cover for my rifle. The rifle is a Tanaka M700p mounted in a genuine Remington walnut stock. No mar camo tape makes it look cheap so I'm building a ghillie using scrim net as a base, nylon camo net to break the shape of the barrel and lightweight choc chip scrim to cover the scope. (I believe it's essential to cover scope glare and prevent the shine that can give away your position.) I'm bidding on a realtree neoprene stock cover at the moment which I will adapt to fit in a Silva compass, this gives you the ability to take a bearing on your target just by turning your rifle through 90 degrees, vital for recon missions.

Try to ensure gun ghillie doesn't intefere with any working parts, this is a pain mid battle!

Will post pics when it's complete, all the best, happy sniping..

Jimbo

I've added a load more elastic loops to the whole suit, and put a few more on my gun too. I reckon I've got enough now, but time will tell.

I'm going to be testing the suit out this weekend (fingers crossed for the weather) so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Can anyone suggest how I might use these properly? It sounds like a stupid question I know, but I'd really apprectiate advice on how often to change natural vegetation, what sorts/how much to use (obviously stuff that blends well, but certain things must work better than others), and most of all, how to make it appear natural and convincing.

Thanks guys, I couldn't have made the suit without the advice I found in this thread :)

Archived