Complete Ghillie Thread

The Chef

Make sure to pack a small pair of secateurs so that you can cut natural foliage without having to rip it up or snap it off and leave visible signs that you've been there.

Using them also means that you don't hurt your hands! :)

Some folding ones like these are ideal!:

http://www.thegardenersshop.co.uk/index.as...T&productid=432

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, I'll take a little knife or something for that :)

carefull - you might cut yourself! - knives are dangerous dont you know?

or so our government will have you believe

- on a more serious note - secateurs might be a better idea - there is enough trouble around airsoft as it is. the last thing this game needs is reports of a knife wielding maniac (not that you are but i would imagine thats how it would be reported!)

- i agree that they are a great idea - ive often thought i could do with a pair when im out and about!

post some pics of what it looks like!

kind regards amsniper

I'd agree with amsniper, as in these times of scaremongering even the most creative "news"paper would have difficulty spinning a story about somebody in a field wielding a pair of small garden cutters! :)

I do know of sites where knives of all forms are banned for safety reasons. So thinking about it, whatever you use you might want to check with your site before taking it out on the playing field.

Personally i have always used a small pair of secateurs but one of my mates swears by his folding pruning saw as it means all the hacking doesn't mess up the blade on his penknife.

Maybe a bit to OTT for airsoft? ;)

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/gardening/...4b3fece806d0ed1

for ferns and foliage like that, if you pull it straight with your hands, odds on you will cut yourself. You don't need to cut anything. Simply grab the stem between forfinger and thumb and rotate your arm like you are stirring a bucket of water with a spoon. As long as the stem is tight, it will snap away in 2 seconds with no nasty cuts.

Cutting things with a knife or saw will leave tell tale signs you have been about.

Just be sure the foliage is added the correct way up and the lighter undersides of ferns are facing you not the viewer. Place the odd piece of foliage that is already dead to throw off the eye.

check this THREAD out.

Good Luck ;)

Thanks guys. Well I went skirmishing today, and the good news is the suit works very well :) Even better than I anticipated actually. It's a little too light for certain areas so I may spray-paint a bit of it to get the overall brightness down. Other than that though, it was great.

I didn't get many kills, but that was mainly due to my inexperience sniping, and the fact that my AEG hasn't really got good enough range or accuracy for sniping. My fieldcraft could do with improving quite a bit but I guess that will come with experience.

My site allows small knives by the way... and no I didn't need it :P

There were a few instances where the enemy were looking straight at me and missed me totally..... especially if I lay still, and chose my position well, I found that I could fool people pretty easily.

I've spoken to Chris at Alpha55 (the site where I play) and he's going to send me details of a sniper training course that they do. This course is run by one of their regular snipers, and includes basic fieldcraft, marksmanship and camouflage techniqes as far as I'm aware. Once completed, it also allows someone to use a bolt-action rifle of up to 500fps :) (can I say that?) So I think a Warrior L96 is in the works.

Anyway, thanks for all the info and stuff :)

Well first I just got my old DPM jacket and trousers, and a green balaclava. Then I bought a load of hessian and dyed it different shades of green with normal machine dye.

I cut the hessian into random strips around 1-2 inches wide and between 3 and 15 inches long, then sewed them directly onto the suit. I put more on the head, shoulders, back and back of the legs, and less on the front of the suit (because that's the part you crawl on so it is less visible in combat).

It was really a pretty simple process, it just took ages to sew them on. I just varied which colours I used so I got a fairly random pattern of strips. Also, you have to start sewing at the bottom, it makes it loads easier and you get a nice covering of strips that way. Most of the 'lines' of strips on the suit are about 4 inches apart, but it depends on how dense you want the strips to be.

I appreciate you asking for advice :) I'm a total noob to ghillies really, certainly I was before I made this, and it just goes to show that its not really that hard to do.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I also covered the suit in small elastic loops when I was finished adding strips. These are so you can attach natural vegetation to help blend into the environment better.

I'm sure the guys on this thread will help you out if you decide to go ahead and make one.

Yer, I am obviously really keen on making one but I am quite worried that after I get all the stuff I will mess up and have to start all over again, BTW, you put the sheet of hessian in the dye before you cut it, I always got the impression you are meant to cut then dye??

Really hope I make mine right, lol

Will

I honestly don't know man :) maybe that's the way you are supposed to do it. It would probably better if you decide how much you want of each colour, then dye it.

Don't worry about messing up. You wont have to start over. The worst that can happen is that you need to rip out a row of strips and start again, but I didn't need to do this. I feel that the suit has to look random, so the odd mistake really doesn't make any difference. In fact, it probably helps a bit!

One method you might consider is covering your BDUs with netting before you start, then tying the strips or threads on. It is easier to get stuck on bushes and brambles etc, but has the advantage that you can change the patterns and colours of the strips to suit the season or area you play in.

I reccommend before you start, if you have a regular skirmish site, go there and take a few pics of the main areas, just so you can get the colours right. I found that the light green of my suit was a little too light, so I may spray-paint a bit of it at some point.

Don't forget to spray the suit with flame retardent after you finish it- catching fire in one of those would not be fun :S

Thanks alot for the help, I live in France so it is a bit mroe complicated to get some things such as fabrics so my dad is bringing over dyes and the fabric in 2 weeks, so I will tell you what happens, and if I need any help I will just ask as most people on this forum know what they are talkin about :D

Thanks again,

Will

Yeah. People will respect you more if you make your own too. Some guy said to me on Saturday 'At least you didn't f###ing buy one' ;)

Also you will find that bought suits will most likely not fit the terrain you play on. Your own suit will blend much better. At least that's what I've heard.

:) i'd agree with Billy210

After always using homemade suits i imported a full length bushrag one from the US a few years back (just "because") and i was completely underwhelmed by it.

I ended up taking 1/2 the material off and re-dying it in order to make it a better match to my local terrain and then adding extra material anyway!

That said, i did sell it for nearly as much as i bought it for and it did give me some ideas for my next suit!

Hi i have read the whole of this post and am thinking of getting a webtex concealment vest as i already have a large amount of hessian from a previous ghillie kit. is this a good choice for a belt and is it possibly to tie the strands through the small holes ignoring the veggi loops ??? thanks J

Archived