Complete Ghillie Thread

The Chef

use a crotch strap* if it rides up...

*no idea on the proper name, but something like you can/could get on ski jackets to stop te same thing and snow getting in.

as for me, i tried the jacket and pants. way too bulky and a t**t to get the pants on over kit, even with the full length zips i sewed in.

my ghillies now consist of several parts:

concealment vest

gaiters

hat

gloves

i vary it depending on how close i am to target, building it up as i move in ;)

hoods are ok, as they dont move when you turn your head, but they screw with peripheral vision in my opinion, ans so i use a hat. again, just my opinion, yours may differ :)

edit: a sweary got through!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

101_0750.jpg

Tested a new loadout today. Multicam ACU pants, and woodland ghillie top. I can run more easily than with the ghillie pants.

101_0751.jpg

You can't even see the pants! No foliage, and reasonable blending.

101_0752.jpg

Back off in the shadows. This was a test of it bare, and mostly in the open.

101_0754_small.jpg

With foliage, it would even work in the tan fields.

101_0755.jpg

I managed to scare about 4 kids, and someone with a dog. While I sat on a bench (It's 90* here already, needed a breather) three separate people asked if I was in Army Special Forces. That's a compliment if you ask me!

I managed to equip myself with a camelback, cell phone, pistol in a back paddle holster, and a walkie talkie. That's some serious gear for how easy it was to move around. I also had an M14 with four magazines, but I left that in the car for the most part.

As a bonus, I took my ghillie suit out to a project my friend was working on. We were essentially lumberjacks, clearing a good bit of forest for a boardwalk into a swamp.

180645_10150167691254126_610424125_8635270_562237_n.jpg

Please forgive the poor quality cell phone picture, but it gets the point across.

p_00500_small.jpg

And, yknow, sometimes you just have to get a melee kill.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My collegue has bushrad - never used it as ghillie. Made a rife-wrap :/ I didn't like it.

I myself still have stuff from uksnipersystem.co.uk . I bought it from combatstore.co.uk

Good people working there. The service is good, the price is ok! The recon ghiliie is realy breathable, do not restrict the movement, also universal. I switched to SAW role, and I use it partly as helmet cover, partly as temporary position camouflage!Also, low weight.

My collegue has bushrad - never used it as ghillie. Made a rife-wrap :/ I didn't like it.

I myself still have stuff from uksnipersystem.co.uk . I bought it from combatstore.co.uk

Good people working there. The service is good, the price is ok! The recon ghiliie is realy breathable, do not restrict the movement, also universal. I switched to SAW role, and I use it partly as helmet cover, partly as temporary position camouflage!Also, low weight.

you mean bushrag not bushrad? neither of those sites exist but shipping from the UK to hong kong is not going to be cheap..

• 4 weeks later...

You will laugh, but i have combined so many different kind untill i got it right that i do not want to go thru that ordeal again...

it is a textile dye set of green and yellow that i have used, some romanian *suitcase* for sure.

Hey, I was wondering if all camo netting actually comes attached to a net, or is some of it only made out of that plastic-fabric like material?

I'm working on a ghillie and I need a net to attach burlap to, but I'm not sure if this actually comes with a net or not:

camo netting

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Take my opinion for what it's worth as I've never truly operated as a sniper in the field and I've only made one ghillie suit. Personally though I think buying a ghillie suit is totally the wrong way to go about it. The first problem I see with that ghillie is that it's a "full" ghillie, meaning that there is jute strips on the front and back which is fine if you don't expect to go prone, but as a sniper you can almost always expect to go prone. Making one will also give you the ability to tailor the suit exactly to your AO.

In short, I think that $200 is better spent getting an old set of BDUs, a vollyball net and some burlap!

In short, I think that $200 is better spent getting an old set of BDUs, a vollyball net and some burlap!

Lol thats a LOT of burlap and volleyball netting.

All jokes aside, he is completely right. Make your own suit, it honeslty doens't take as long as you think if you go about it smartly. Also, its fun(in my opinion) and well worth it. I am about to make another one.

• 2 weeks later...

Having made my own ghille using a webtex concealment vest as the base I can't help but think that one of these would have cost around the same and been just as good:

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/asocv2nx.html

You could always add vegetation loops to it yourself (some sort of elastic basically)

$200 no way, $70 is much more tempting. Not sure if such a thing is available on your side of the world but I would have thought there would be...

• 3 weeks later...

You need more smaller pieces with more natural shapes. Tie knots in them, so the ghillie doesn't just hang down. Foliage doesn't hang down as a rule. Make it less uniform and spray a couple of nice dark stripes over it diagnonally perhaps?

Add foliage loops and be sure to use them.

Good Hunting ;)

Archived