Complete Ghillie Thread

The Chef

Personally I am still working off NICAD batteries. The one you linked is NIMH meaning it will need a different charger.

NICAD are very trust worthy as long as you discharge before you charge them up. NIMH can be charged in any state, they have no memory. NimH batteries slowly decrease in voltage as the ampage is drained off, while NiCAD just keep going before just dying right at the end.

Anyone have that battery?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I am still working off NICAD batteries. The one you linked is NIMH meaning it will need a different charger.

NICAD are very trust worthy as long as you discharge before you charge them up. NIMH can be charged in any state, they have no memory. NimH batteries slowly decrease in voltage as the ampage is drained off, while NiCAD just keep going before just dying right at the end.

Anyone have that battery?

Thanks, but what about htis charger http://www.airsoftmart.net/catalog/84vmain...nimh-p-880.html

It says NiCad/NiMH, i assume that implying it will charge both right?

edit: Oh and thanks for the info about the batteries, i'll have a look at what else I can find.

Have you got a link to a site that sells NiCad batteries, I've been searching but i can't find anything that suits. All that I've found is this Sanyo 8.4v Mini Type NiCD with 600mAh Capacity on zero one.

Batteries

This is an exellent place to get batteries from I have the 8.4V 3700mAh SC NiMH Battery Pack in my AGM M14 and it seriously increases ROF, highly reccomended.

You will have to remove the buttplate to get it in though, but with practise this can be done quickly, and it lasts all day whenever I played so there was no need to change anyway!

hope this helps.

Joe

Batteries

This is an exellent place to get batteries from I have the 8.4V 3700mAh SC NiMH Battery Pack in my AGM M14 and it seriously increases ROF, highly reccomended.

You will have to remove the buttplate to get it in though, but with practise this can be done quickly, and it lasts all day whenever I played so there was no need to change anyway!

hope this helps.

Joe

Thanks marmite, i was looking at that on airsoft mart but you've found it cheaper, thanks for the link, think i will make a purchase :D

Oh and btw is there any specific charger on that site or will any of these do...

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/radio_control1.html

lol sorry im used to the G-Spec, I'll just imagine its my M14, more likely to be closer to the weight you lug around.

But still, find its alot more user friendly when we have a deadzone game, or when they actually have to tie the bands around them. But seems their not really used at EAG much.

Unfortunatly, with bipod and scope, my A.I.C.S. weighs two or three times as much as your M14!!

Ben.

Socks are certainly the order fo the day. However, The top itself is actually not a jumper, its made of mesh, very similar to scrim net. One of my colleagues was impressed with the mesh top and said he would love one.

I explained the top is actually from NEXT and not some gucci ghillie manufacturer.:blink:

He only spent 15 mins starting the long haul of constructing a ghillie. A long way to go yet...

;)

ive finally started work on my ghillie, i have a webtex concealment vest that ive had for about 2 years now. i also have 30m of 2" wide hessian material. what ive started to do is sew in strands of hessian material into the holes in the vest, its going ok but its taking forever, ive spent 2 hours and have only done about 20 holes.

how long does it usually take to make a suit like this?

From other concealment vests ive seen, the material is simply tied onto the many many loops that are on these things. Sewing each piece on would indeed take ages.

I went down the different route after deciding against a concealment vest, and ghillied a jacket, cut netting to size and tied material on. Finished it earlier, and it took what 3 hours to completley cover the back.

Ill post some pics up as soon as i get hold of a digicam. :)

Making a ghillie suit is never over. It will shed material and need the odd bit of work every now and again. I have made all manner of ghillies and must say the concealment vest is the best option in my experience.

My own webtex is still bog standard though, as I only use it when local cam is in abundance (ie summer/autumn). In winter/spring I use a jacket or poncho style ghillie.

Remember it is hard to have 1 suit that will match all seasons/shades/environments. ;)

Socks are certainly the order fo the day. However, The top itself is actually not a jumper, its made of mesh, very similar to scrim net. One of my colleagues was impressed with the mesh top and said he would love one.

I explained the top is actually from NEXT and not some gucci ghillie manufacturer.:blink:

He only spent 15 mins starting the long haul of constructing a ghillie. A long way to go yet...

;)

by jumper i mean ripped up jumper sewn on :P

the old green/brown/tan coloured strips of jumper frabric tends to work well... because jumpers tend to have a duller surface and it just less eye catching compared to painting your gun or just sticking some random bits of hessian on it. dont get me wrong, hessian and painting your gun works well but in different environments. it's just i find just that little bit of ripped up socks and jumper can be as effective when used in the right places :)

Urban ninja: You are right. Never throw any material or old clothing away if it is green/tan/brown and can get cut into strips and sewn onto something. Even if its just a couple of bits to break up the colours of your camo.

I don't sew bits on anymore (unless on a hat). I much prefere to cut holes in the base of the ghillie/scrim and then tie the camo on in double knots. As you can see from the picture above, the knots mean the camo strip sits up more and doesn't just hang down like all too many ghillies appear to. Leaves don't just hang down so this reproduces a more varied and natural effect.

This applies to ghillies along with gun camo.

;)

I'm posting some pics of my ghillie in action, along with a mate's, in the sniper pics section here, if you guys want to check them out.

I found some handy camo-netting (the type with fake leaves) lying around at Alpha 55 today, so I've salvaged it and I'm going to add it to my suit to give it some texture. I also recently sprayed a lot of my suit OD and brown krylon, to give it a darker overall colour, because the light green was too light really for the terrain I play on.

edit: I'm tired :P

O.K., skirmished yesterday, and found the scrim wrap highly effective.

The Sniper's Veil annoyed me - it kept getting caught under the bolt. So I removed it, and wore it like a cape. This proved to be suprisingly good, as it was very hot, and I had to remove my BDU jacket. I was only wearing a black T-shirt underneath, and the Sniper's Veil helped camouflage me.

Also, when I deployed prone, I just flipped it over my head, and I had an instant Sniper's Hide...

What I plan to do is attach it to my Tac. Vest permanently, as a general camo item.

I made some pretty good shot. Was using 0.43's this time, and it was a lot more accurate.

Ben.

I made a rifle wrap the other day, havent tested it out yet, but its exactly the same colour sceme/style as my ghillie, so should work quite well. Only thing im worried about is it being a bit cumbersome:

it's pretty good. but cumbersome? yeah, but you should adapt the camo to your style and your field. if it suits you fine, that'll do a good job then :)

and speaking of cumbersome? any chance of resizing them pics? i'm on a 1280x1024 res screen without the forum sidebar and i still have to scroll sideways to click reply to your post lol. im sure the lower bandwidth/res users would appreciate that :)

Archived