UKSF Loadouts

Belladonna

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as you rifle goes, if you want to get it really looking sharp then go for a RIS forend (standard KAC type), no attachments, the Diemaco SFW heavy profile barrel and an ACOG. UKSF don't seem to use AN/PEQs so i figured that the battery would go on the standard stock in an Arktis stock mag pouch (suitably dusty). As most other people on here have said, a P226 in a Paul Ever's holster (available from ukkitmonster.com) would be the most suitable although im sure that some regiment and SBS members are still using the Browning. On the other hand, photos have shown a few other holsters such as Bianchi and Blackhawk, so i guess its up to the trooper as to what they use. Many also seem to favour placing their pistols inside the vests (presumably so that they stay fairly clean and don't get lost as easily. Most of the pictures on the 'bloody heroes' website show SAS/SBS men wearing PLCE Ops Vest and entirely civilian clothing. An RMP COP vest would also look good here. Some however are wearing either the older style windproof smock (with the threaded and taped buttons) or the newer style S2000 smocks with the newer style canadian buttons. On some missions they wear S95 desert trousers. They are sporting a wide variety of headwear or no headwear at all, mostly civy caps, bush hats, even a stetson!. Civilian hiking boots seem to be the norm although some may be wearing Hanwag/Lowa/Altberg/Matterhorn military boots. I would just get a bog standard chicom chest rig (about £10-15) as these would help them blend in easily with the locals and could be easily replaced if damaged. As far as rucks go ALICE packs, PLCE Bergens, Lowe Alpine, Forces and Arktis rucks seem to be the norm, again suitable dusty.

On the top some troopers wear the snugpak soft jacket (very common item in the British army and indeed, UK forces as a whole)

Hope this helps. I can post some photos to support what i've said if you want.

As far as you rifle goes, if you want to get it really looking sharp then go for a RIS forend (standard KAC type), no attachments, the Diemaco SFW heavy profile barrel and an ACOG. UKSF don't seem to use AN/PEQs so i figured that the battery would go on the standard stock in an Arktis stock mag pouch (suitably dusty). As most other people on here have said, a P226 in a Paul Ever's holster (available from ukkitmonster.com) would be the most suitable although im sure that some regiment and SBS members are still using the Browning. On the other hand, photos have shown a few other holsters such as Bianchi and Blackhawk, so i guess its up to the trooper as to what they use. Many also seem to favour placing their pistols inside the vests (presumably so that they stay fairly clean and don't get lost as easily. Most of the pictures on the 'bloody heroes' website show SAS/SBS men wearing PLCE Ops Vest and entirely civilian clothing. An RMP COP vest would also look good here. Some however are wearing either the older style windproof smock (with the threaded and taped buttons) or the newer style S2000 smocks with the newer style canadian buttons. On some missions they wear S95 desert trousers. They are sporting a wide variety of headwear or no headwear at all, mostly civy caps, bush hats, even a stetson!. Civilian hiking boots seem to be the norm although some may be wearing Hanwag/Lowa/Altberg/Matterhorn military boots. I would just get a bog standard chicom chest rig (about £10-15) as these would help them blend in easily with the locals and could be easily replaced if damaged. As far as rucks go ALICE packs, PLCE Bergens, Lowe Alpine, Forces and Arktis rucks seem to be the norm, again suitable dusty.

On the top some troopers wear the snugpak soft jacket (very common item in the British army and indeed, UK forces as a whole)

Hope this helps. I can post some photos to support what i've said if you want.

Well im wearing a chicom, customised to my personal requirements,, and the s2000 smock :)

as for the rifle, no, it will do, im not an utter geardo, and this isnt my only loadout, and i have one rifle, she will stay as she is, same with keeping my glock 19. Im not a dropleg fan, i tend to stick it in a ammo pouch on my belt order...

UKSF have never been seen wearing Chicoms, that's the yanks.

Ok, point taken, but just because they haven't been seen wearing them doesn't mean that they don't, UKSF are famously camera shy compared to USSF. I figure that if the rest of their dress in afghanistan is anything to go by, a chicom wouldn't seem out of place. :)

And bella, your photo on the first page shows u wearing an S95 ripstop smock. I was refering to the S2000 SAS windproof smock with hood. Alternatively many of the older Arctic windproofs are still in use and are fantastic bits of kit.

Ok, point taken, but just because they haven't been seen wearing them doesn't mean that they don't, UKSF are famously camera shy compared to USSF. I figure that if the rest of their dress in afghanistan is anything to go by, a chicom wouldn't seem out of place.  :)

And bella, your photo on the first page shows u wearing an S95 ripstop smock. I was refering to the S2000 SAS windproof smock with hood. Alternatively many of the older Arctic windproofs are still in use and are fantastic bits of kit.

"The rest of their dress in afghanistan"?

They were wearing high-end civillian mountaineering clothing, Snugpak jackets, and Ops Vests, there's nothing there to indicate that they would wear a Chicom to me. :huh:

You may want to look at my thread on milphotos for an idea of what UKSF have actually been wearing and using in Iraq and Afghanistan. :)

Or you can just look here:

http://www.konstipation.com/stuff/walt/sbs/afghan/

http://www.konstipation.com/stuff/walt/sas/iraq/

They were wearing high-end civillian mountaineering clothing, Snugpak jackets, and Ops Vests, there's nothing there to indicate that they would wear a Chicom to me.  :huh:

Ka-ching

bh063.jpg

from your own lists aswell :P. The fact of the matter is, UKSF wear whatever they damn well want, if they feel its going to make life that little bit easier they'll nab it. Any discussion about "what am UK speshul forces am wearing" is moot as its very much up to the the individual.

The point of the geardo section is to discuss impressions... Therefore Bella is perfectly right to ask "what would make me look like an SBS in Afghanistan" even if this definition is a lot larger than your average USMC/Royal Commando/whatever Joe-The-Grunt uniform.

When you see the pic posted by rageman, there is a certain pattern: at least 3 sport beards (bad for Bella!) and US 3col desert camo/tan trousers, 2 for sure have dropleg holsters, and the all have civilian tops with some form of assault vest or chest rig. They also seem to wear big black digital watches, like Suunto. The only long weapon in the picture is some form of AR with collapsible stock.

I believe Bella's impression does a very good job, you immediately identify her as being Brit, SF, and operating in Afghanistan (well I do).

I myself wear whatever I find practical and cheap, with little to no regard for whatever milsim look, but that doesn't make me look like a SBS operator, innit?

Or do I miss something about geardoes?

Beige trousers - Asda have them for about £15 right now :P

Black boots of some description

Helly hansen lifa ts hirt - or other t shirt/shirt

Black drop leg

That's do you for a very simple impression. Then i'd say to make the look you need something that makes it look british - a PLCE ops vest for example is a brilliant one.

Personally i'd wear walking boots/ lowas, some craghopper trousers, a helly hansen lifa, with a 5.11 or other shirt over the top, with an ops vest, drop leg and start growing more hair :P

Ka-ching

bh063.jpg

from  your own lists aswell :P.  The fact of the matter is, UKSF wear whatever they damn well want, if they feel its going to make life that little bit easier they'll nab it.  Any discussion about "what am UK speshul forces am wearing" is moot as its very much up to the the individual.

Ka-no

The two blokes wearing Chi-coms are confirmed US SF, the blokes infront and at the back are SBS, they are all going to speak with a village elder, because of increased Taliban activity in the area. I mentioned this in my thread on MilPhotos.

So, what is your point?

Ka-no

The two blokes wearing Chi-coms are confirmed US SF, the blokes infront and at the back are SBS, they are all going to speak with a village elder, because of increased Taliban activity in the area. I mentioned this in my thread on MilPhotos.

So, what is your point?

Fair enough on the photo, however my point still lays. You cannot argue whats right and whats wrong with UK Special Forces loadout as its up to the individual. From existing photos it ranges from regular issue kit to full on walking up a mountain gear. The total number of British Special Forces in service in Iraq/Afghanistan, whilst probably under the 1000 mark, will be far more than those who've been photographed.

The one true guiding principle to putting together any British special forces loadout has to be... what can I get on my high street? My local army surplus has in the past had russian style chest rigs in stock and theres a Squadron of SAS based here. It runs to reason that any guy in the SAS/SBS/SRR would have taken trips to the army surplus to see if there was anything they could of augmented thier loadout. Whats more they certainly would of went to the army surplus prior to deployment to quickly adapt for the enviroment they will be facing. Whats more all British troops are sorta renowned as scroungers, so theres nothing stopping a British Special Forces feller from picking up a fairly common chicom in Afghanistan.

Basically the pics are a reasonable guideline, however you've got to think beyond the pictures as to what is reasonably possible and likely. Anything else is paramount to chairsofting, which in my mind is not worth the time to read.

how am i meant to get a tan in A'stan in a shirt? :P

yeah, ill look into a tee possibly, i guess more coverage is good for public relations, as Afghanistan's dominant Islamic interpretations tend to disapprove of showing too much flesh, and tbh to those Afgans who support such a view, I'd be considered practically naked there, which would be a bit inconsiderate to the culture. *whistles*

Archived