Safariland Mk.23 Holster Review

I finally recieved my Safariland Mk.23 Holster from CopQuest.com, they had to order the holster directly from Safariland so it took about a month. I'm doing this review specifically for Mk23 users, but Safariland obviously makes more than one type of holster.

First Impressions:

It came in a nice Safariland Zippered Bag as seen in the picture...

Picture012-1.jpg

It says on the bag "Innovation. Not Imitation." Below "Safariland" I was pretty satisfied about the first impression. When I took it out of the bag I was pleased on how simliar the holster felt compared to my Blackhawk 1911 CQB. The outside of the holster is solid yet flexible plastic. The inside of the holster is a soft material that protects the gun from scratches.

Using the holster

I got my KSC Mk23 and slid it in. At first it was a tight fit, but after holstering the gun and drawing it about a dozen times it fit easier. This isn't exactly a quick draw holster. There's a plastic strap at the top of the holster that secures the gun from falling out. It clicks into position with the hammer rocked back. There's a thumb release button that you push down which unlocks the strap allowing you to push it forward and out of the way. Here's another picture of the holster, notice the strap at the top, it's in the locked position keeping the gun in place.

Picture014.jpg

The leg straps are all adjustable, it takes some time to get them all to the right size, but it's all pretty standard stuff.

The gun is very secure when it's in the holster, BUT how secure is it to your leg and while you're running?

The million dollar Question: Is it possible to holster an MK23 comfortably?

YES. Even with the magazine in the pistol, the holster stays put. I ran up and down stairs, croutched, jumped up and down and the holster stayed put. Granted I took my time adjusting the straps, and it was tight on my leg. The straps are flexible so you can kneel and bend your legs comfortably but they won't come loose.

More pictures of the holster on me, where I put it (how high, etc)

Picture016-1.jpgLike all drop leg holsters, you will need a belt that fits you tight.

Here's the top view, unlocked the ready to be drawn.

Picture021.jpg

Conclusion:

I've never used another holster for my MK23, but I've heard that the cheaper ones fall down and come loose. This is a solution to those of whom own an Mk23 and would like to use it as a sidearm. There are accessories for the safariland holster much like the Serpa ones. You can buy mag pouches that bolt on either side of the holster. For those of you who don't own an mk23, this is still a great holster, however I recommend you look at Serpa's line of holsters just because they're easier to draw.

I reccommend the Safariland holster especially to Mk23 owners. If you've struggled with finding a good holster for your socom, look no further! This is it!

Mk23 owners- When holstering your pistol, I reccommend you take your magazine out, it decreases the weight of the gun significantly and makes it more comfortable to holster.

Any questions? Please feel free to ask! I've got more pictures too. If I missed anything please let me know. I can't think of much more to say soo let's open up the floor to some Q and A! I hope I helped, thanks! :)

Very nice!

How much did it cost?

Thanks! I probably could have gotten it cheaper, but I paid $114 for it.

Like I said, If I didn't own an mk.23, I would get a Blackhawk Serpa CQB. I own one of those, and they're easier to draw, about the same price and they have two straps that go to your belt which is more comfortable. However, for a big gun like the socom, this holster works great!