Tanaka Works M870 shotgun

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Anyone upgraded one of these like the CL ones? I wouldn't mind one just I don't want to pay the price Redwolf charge to change the thing.

Or failing that is there a kit anywhere?

Well, from what I can see, it seems like all that Clarence Lai does is merely remove the inner barrel and tinker with some other worky bits such as the hammer spring. IMO, not really enough to warrant spending an extra 200 of your yankee dollars on...

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone tried putting regulated co2 into one of these, or is it not going to make a difference becuase of how the hammer mech is designed to hit it only a bit. Seems like just modding the hammer is what needs to be done so it empties the shell. Madbull says their regulator goes down to about 2x pressure green gas is at.

Whatever Clarence Lai does to his "hi power" shells allows co2, i wonder if its a stronger o ring or something.

An upgraded trigger spring would no doubt give better performance....need to look into this because i dig 870's

Edited by Azulsky
  • 1 year later...

So now that this thread is back as an active topic... does anyone still have a Tanaka M870 that's actually working at the moment? Or is the internal quality still rubbish and they all fall apart within a few months of use?

You would think that Tanaka would have recognized these faults and fixed them by now, but I suppose the number of airsoft companies that actually listen to their user base and make improvements based on user feedback is very few.

• 2 months later...
So now that this thread is back as an active topic... does anyone still have a Tanaka M870 that's actually working at the moment? Or is the internal quality still rubbish and they all fall apart within a few months of use?

You would think that Tanaka would have recognized these faults and fixed them by now, but I suppose the number of airsoft companies that actually listen to their user base and make improvements based on user feedback is very few.

I still have mine, and it still fires (most of the time). even though i'm a plinker, it has shown some worrying wear - namely a crack in the hammer has appeared. I try to not dry fire it or use stronger gas on hot days. I've also noted that there are light strikes during hot summer days when I use green/propane.

it comes down to it that Tanakas in general are not upgradable; there is no aftermarket support, no clones even.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I've got two of them, in working condition :) And a Maruzen 870 BV (Bullet Valve) Woodie.

And Hi! again. I'm new to the forum but I've been a member here for a while.

I've been reading and learning a whole lot from all of you on the forum.

Now maybe it's time I've said something and start sharing my knowledge.

My passion are guns, especially shotguns. :D

Here's a sample of my collection.

Pardon my english since it's not my native language, I'm from Sweden you see.

• 1 month later...
Hi! I've got two of them, in working condition :) And a Maruzen 870 BV (Bullet Valve) Woodie.

And Hi! again. I'm new to the forum but I've been a member here for a while.

I've been reading and learning a whole lot from all of you on the forum.

Now maybe it's time I've said something and start sharing my knowledge.

My passion are guns, especially shotguns. :D

Here's a sample of my collection.

Pardon my english since it's not my native language, I'm from Sweden you see.

How reliable are the Tanaka shotguns? Did you have to modify anything to get it to work correctly?

I've found really mixed reviews, some say Tanaka's will break on you fairly quickly while others claim they've shot thousands of rounds through it with no ill effects. :P

Well! I can tell you this much, be prepared to take it apart some day and modify it, and don't wait to long.

It also depend on how you use the gun. Wallhanger version with a little plinking with 134 gas might last

for perhaps a 200 rounds +/-50 or even more. It all ends up to the gas you use

and how hard you rack it, since the chamber and the barrel fastening tube (it's a one piece assembly)

as well as parts of the bolt assembly is plastic and quite thin at some places, that makes these parts fragile.

I can go on further but I won't. Some smaller things can be fixed though without having a major workshop, I've done a low budget repair myself.

Maybe I throw up a couple of pics later on my deeper disassembly of the 870. I'm a little occupied right now.

Finally I would say this, I still loooooove this shotgun more than anything else, you can't get much closer to the real deal :D

Sorry! Maruzen. Love you too, but not that much. :P

Haha okay thanks, so would you say the Tanaka M870's are the most realistic feeling/solid exterior wise? Is that why you love it so much despite it's internal issues? It's just the internals that will need some work someday? :beer:

Also, where did you get those sling swivels for the front and rear? They look pretty cool! :blow:

Edited by HelloKitty

Yeah! I 'd say it's as close as you can get to the real steal. And yes, the internal parts are the biggest trouble on this gun. :(

The swiwels I bought on Ebay, I think the brand was "Uncle Mike's". I bought a set for a fistful of dollars :D

They came with the wrong kind of threads though, on both the swivel screws, so I had to re-thread with M4 metric thread

and put nyloc selflocking nuts on the inside of the pistol grip as well as the inside of the cap in front of the magazine tube.

They wouldn't be able to rotate freely otherwise and would unscrew themselves with a sling attached to them.

That's all folks! :)

I got my Tanaka M870 today. Two questions:

-> I noticed that there is some wobble to the fixed stock, it's not too noticeable until you grab it and wiggle it. Is this how they all are?

-> I noticed that the front foregrip has some wobble to it as well, is this how real ones are too? Or did I get a defective one?