Tanaka Works M870 shotgun

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had mine for nearly two years now and it is still working fine. The only niggle I have with it is that it sometimes doesn't load the next round out of the feed tube and into the breach. To stop it doing this you have twist the foregrip clockwise slightly (when looking from above front of grip pushed right, bottom pushed left) and then it feeds every time.

I must say though, I've not actually fired it in a skirmish, just a few hundred rounds in the house/garden (the mrs eventually got sick of polyfilla'ing the cellar walls after my room clearance drills and relegated me to the garden). After reading all the reviews and seeing what people have managed to break, I couldn't stomach risking a £400+ gun that would maybe not be repairable, as a result, I always use my Maruzen M1100's beacause they are cheap, but it's so realistic and so much fun to fire that if I could guarantee being able to repair it, I'd use the M870 every single time.

Who knows, my air-smith skills are getting better now so I may strip the thing soon and see what potential problems there are that can be fixed/strengthened (Doc Glock, any info/help you could provide would be MASSIVELY apreciated).

Every time I go to 'The Mall' I really have to struggle not to take it with me, all I want to do is use it, but I'm so worried about it breaking. Knowing my luck, it'll be one of the stronger ones (it was new in 2007) and will last a few thousand rounds.

Ok! here are links to some pics in my album, to show some of the internal parts that can give you trouble in the future.

Here's the plastic boltassembly, disassembled to show the main parts in it.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/uplo...1661_231621.jpg

The firing block is weak spot in the Tanaka even though it's metal, but it's some diecast ######.

And here's a pic of a partially broken and bent one.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/uplo..._1661_35720.jpg

It could look like this instead and it would last a little longer (Photoshop work)

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/uplo..._1661_63847.jpg

And here we got the barrel and chamber assembly also a plastic part that could at least be aluminum instead.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/uplo...1661_126932.jpg

I will add some more pics later on when I get some time over to dismantle my second Tanaka.

I'm sorry that the pictures ain't that good quality but I'm not a photographer.

That's all folks

Since we are on the topic of improvements of the Tanaka M870 series, I thought I might post my conundrum here too:

There is substantial slack in my forearm when the gun is uncocked (the forearm slides back 8-12mm, if not more) making it impossible to load shells if the gun is not cocked or pointing downwards. Is anyone else experiencing this, or know of any way to mend this problem?

Could it be the that the spring behind the bolt assembly, responsible for kicking out the shells, is too worn out?

Other than that, it's a nice gun once the small problems have been attended.

Welcome! to the Tanaka Club. :D

Don't worry, I think they all suffer from loose fitting especially in the front grip.

I've got two of them and they both got the same thing.

I really think that's the last thing you have to worry about.

Thanks man, I was able to tighten the rear stock just now by removing the butt pad then accessing that big screw. :D

I've had mine for nearly two years now and it is still working fine. The only niggle I have with it is that it sometimes doesn't load the next round out of the feed tube and into the breach. To stop it doing this you have twist the foregrip clockwise slightly (when looking from above front of grip pushed right, bottom pushed left) and then it feeds every time.

I must say though, I've not actually fired it in a skirmish, just a few hundred rounds in the house/garden (the mrs eventually got sick of polyfilla'ing the cellar walls after my room clearance drills and relegated me to the garden). After reading all the reviews and seeing what people have managed to break, I couldn't stomach risking a £400+ gun that would maybe not be repairable, as a result, I always use my Maruzen M1100's beacause they are cheap, but it's so realistic and so much fun to fire that if I could guarantee being able to repair it, I'd use the M870 every single time.

Who knows, my air-smith skills are getting better now so I may strip the thing soon and see what potential problems there are that can be fixed/strengthened (Doc Glock, any info/help you could provide would be MASSIVELY apreciated).

Every time I go to 'The Mall' I really have to struggle not to take it with me, all I want to do is use it, but I'm so worried about it breaking. Knowing my luck, it'll be one of the stronger ones (it was new in 2007) and will last a few thousand rounds.

Cool, is yours still stock even after a few hundred rounds with no issues?

I'm wondering if Tanaka has made any internal changes since they first released them. I hope they do make guns in batches with improvements over time, but maybe I'm just a hopeful since I just got mine and presumably the newest batch. Maybe mine can last a few hundred rounds with no issues. :D

I wish airsoft companies would just make some upgraded internal parts for the Tanakas already! :rolleyes:

Edited by HelloKitty
Since we are on the topic of improvements of the Tanaka M870 series, I thought I might post my conundrum here too:

There is substantial slack in my forearm when the gun is uncocked (the forearm slides back 8-12mm, if not more) making it impossible to load shells if the gun is not cocked or pointing downwards. Is anyone else experiencing this, or know of any way to mend this problem?

Could it be the that the spring behind the bolt assembly, responsible for kicking out the shells, is too worn out?

Other than that, it's a nice gun once the small problems have been attended.

No your spring is not worn, mine is new and it slides around too, my friend who has a real 870 says this is normal! ;)

BTW, I also posted a response to our other tread about this gun.

Edited by HelloKitty
Cool, is yours still stock even after a few hundred rounds with no issues?

I'm wondering if Tanaka has made any internal changes since they first released them. I hope they do make guns in batches with improvements over time, but maybe I'm just a hopeful since I just got mine and presumably the newest batch. Maybe mine can last a few hundred rounds with no issues. :D

I wish airsoft companies would just make some upgraded internal parts for the Tanakas already! :rolleyes:

Yup, 100% stock, I put 20-odd shells through it today while plinking in the back garden, still owrking perfectly. I'm so tempted to take it to 'The Mall' next weekend :D I even just got myself a molle mounted shotgun scabbard for it, so now I have no excuses :D

Edited by TwinTurboCH

Haha do it! Which month/year did you purchase your Tanaka? I'm wondering if we have the newer batch that may last longer than the previous ones :P

Do you guys have the Extended version? or the Regular? I'm thinking that maybe when Tanaka released the new Extended model back in March 2009, they may have fixed some of the firing pin/sear issues too... just a thought.

BTW, I have the Extended 18inch version that can hold 7+1.

Edited by HelloKitty

I've got the 14 inch folding stock version (capacity 4+1), I was going to get an 18 inch version, but the inner barrel is the same length on both and I don't mind reloading more often :) I am tempted to get an 18 inch version but I'm going to run this one a bit more first and see how it holds up.

I've had it since the end of 2007, bought brand new from redwolf.

If I get another one it will be an 18inch full stock.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the necro post, probably beats starting a new one! But man, got one last week second hand, a 14" police, same as OP's, upgraded with the TSC breech bolt, and managed to find a set of TSC steel hammer / sear etc, only to find out that the entire magazine mechanism from a real steel would fit, so ofcourse I'd be ditching TSC's effort to go for a set of rs, around £100 off midway, after half a day of racking it, the slide block broke, and without any replacement on the market, I drew it up on CAD that day and sent it off to be CNC'd the next, that's how much I love this gun, by far my favourite, especially the fact that it comes with a hopup, with only a single bb from a madbull shell on propane, I was hitting a 5-10cm group at 10m, not exactly accurate but definitely skirmishable in CQB situation, can't wait to try my magpul dynamic shotgun slug change drills to change from 6 bb madbull shells to a painted single round madbull shell, can't wait till the slide block comes in 9 days, will probably post a review of my own regarding what can be rs'd and my stage by stage upgrade (exchanging pins with grub screws etc).

• 3 weeks later...