R22Master's ICS MP5 review...

First post!

Just wanted to ask R22Master or anyone else really this question:

I'm a complete noob to this and haven't even been once. I'll be playing a couple of games first to see if I actually like the sport (but it's pretty much a dead cert - I used to love paintball and only gave up due to the huge amounts I was spending on it)

After careful consideration I have decided to try and obtain the MP5 as I like the look of it, I was impressed with the review and I want a weapon that will be useful both for CQB and ranged battle. Only problem is that I have some confusion about the statement in red regarding versions 1, 2 & 3 of this model. My main confusion stems from the fact that the manufacturers website does not mention which versions they are but only mentions that the gearboxes are version 2. Would the guns with the version 2 gearboxes be the V3 guns?

Do you or anyone know if the MP5's in current circulation with suppliers are generally the V3 models or do you think I should be checking with the supplier first? I don't want to end up with a turkey! I will probably make this purchase with Zero One Airsoft but am open to suggestion if anyone knows of a better supplier.

Many thanks!

Stephan Torcy

First post!

Just wanted to ask R22Master or anyone else really this question:

I'm a complete noob to this and haven't even been once. I'll be playing a couple of games first to see if I actually like the sport (but it's pretty much a dead cert - I used to love paintball and only gave up due to the huge amounts I was spending on it) 

After careful consideration I have decided to try and obtain the MP5 as I like the look of it, I was impressed with the review and I want a weapon that will be useful both for CQB and ranged battle. Only problem is that I have some confusion about the statement in red regarding versions 1, 2 & 3 of this model. My main confusion stems from the fact that the manufacturers website does not mention which versions they are but only mentions that the gearboxes are version 2. Would the guns with the version 2 gearboxes be the V3 guns?

Do you or anyone know if the MP5's in current circulation with suppliers are generally the V3 models or do you think I should be checking with the supplier first? I don't want to end up with a turkey! I will probably make this purchase with Zero One Airsoft but am open to suggestion if anyone knows of a better supplier.

Many thanks!

Stephan Torcy

The version of the gearbox has no relevance on the version of the gun. It is simply the style of gearbox used in the gun. All MP5's will have the same style of gearbox other than the MP5K which uses one with a slightly different top to the shell so as to accomodate the battery above the gearbox.

Personally, I love the ICS mp5 series. Buying from Z1 should get you a V3 gun but you will be best off giving them a ring to confirm it.

Which type of MP5 are you going for?

Sam

The version of the gearbox has no relevance on the version of the gun. It is simply the style of gearbox used in the gun. All MP5's will have the same style of gearbox other than the MP5K which uses one with a slightly different top to the shell so as to accomodate the battery above the gearbox.

You have misunderstood the question.

The earliest ICS gearboxes were a bit unreliable. ICS had a couple of different attempts to fix the problem and the gun, eventually, became reliable.

ICS have never officially labelled the guns as ver1, ver2 and ver3 etc but one american importer did so as to convince their customers that the gun they were buying was reliable.

Basically, look at the date of that review. It's at least 2 years old. The ONLY guns retailers have on the shelves these days are the latest, reliable, versions of the ICS guns.

Having said that, the ICS MP5 has proven to be a little bit fragile and a lot of them tend to break after a year or so of use.

If the latest Classic Army MP5 (the B&T branded one) is roughly the same price as an ICS MP5 I'd STRONGLY suggest you buy the CA gun instead.

If both the CA and ICS guns are about £200 then get the CA one. If the ICS one is £150 and the CA one is £200 then you'll need to decide for yourself if the extra reliability is worth the extra £50.

on the other hand, my ICS mp5 is nearly 2 years old, all stock bar the wiring job and the stock, and still going strong.

my brothers was going strong aswell, till he snapped it in half. :P

edit - but yes, stealtjbomber is pretty much right. CA news ones are very impressive, but due to my own experience, id have no reason not to get an ics one, unless the CA was cheaper, but i dont think that will happen.

Edited by screamin_weasel

Being the fickle person that I am, I visited Airsoft Armoury in Chalfont today and am now in love with the CA M15A4 tactical carbine. Only thing that stopped me from buying it was the fact that i've never actually played airsoft and good sense says I should at least play it once before I go out and spend £300 on a gun!

Thanks very much for your time though!

• 1 month later...
Being the fickle person that I am, I visited Airsoft Armoury in Chalfont today and am now in love with the CA M15A4 tactical carbine. Only thing that stopped me from buying it was the fact that i've never actually played airsoft and good sense says I should at least play it once before I go out and spend £300 on a gun!

Thanks very much for your time though!

i can gaurantee that the M15A4 will be reliable and will serve you well on the battlefield.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have a question about the mount base. I got my ICS MP5SD6 today and I wanted to attach my mount base high-type (UTG), but it doesn't sit correctly. Now, what mount bases will fit? The owner of the shop from where I bought my ICS gun said, he also tried the TM mount bases and they also don't fit. Now, which mount bases will go? Those from ICS are too expensive, because you have to buy two pieces if you want a hi-type mount base :(

(Sorry for my bad English)

te4cup