BB comparison

sirrith

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you aim at the same place every time,

you measure your groupings, even if they are not near the place you center your cross hairs.

this is because you scope might not be zero correctly. but the grouping will still remian true.

Next Skirmish weekend (sunday end of month) ill do a grouping test at 30m roughly with a couple of different makes (SGM .29 and Digicon non coated .36)

Both with hop set correctly for the respective bb.

to give an example of the groups i was getting.

a MARS Milk Drink bottle isnt very big, my shots were hitting it, or going to the side and hitting the mud by and inch at most. ill do a proper record with paper next time though.

I actually looked it up a while back and some grouping competitions, measure from the bullet centres and some measure from the edges of the holes and take away the calibre you are firing (ie 6mm for most of us).

I suggest we just look at the horizontal and vertical size of the groups from marks in the paper as it is often difficult to tell where the "centre" of the holes are from BB's. They did not cut the paper too well due to being spherical. Having vertical and horizontal measurements, gives you 2 bits of data to look at. Rather than just how far apart the 2 furthest shots land, giving only one measurement.

Perhaps we should standardise what we are doing, for all future tests. i still have the target to remeasure if necessary.

I agree that the test needs to be prone and braced, but in my limited backyard, with split levels; I cannot do that and hit the target. I have to fire from kneeling and rest on a bench. :(

I think that due to the lower accuracy of Airsoft guns compared to air rifles, we need to come up with our own method of grouping at 30m. Lets face it you could well get a "flier" with a single shot bolty that would not hit the target.

Perhaps the targets should be mansized and see how many hits can be recorded from ten shots at various ranges?

magictomcat : click on the review database in the top right of the screen.

Good Hunting ;)

I actually looked it up a while back and some grouping competitions, measure from the bullet centres and some measure from the edges of the holes and take away the calibre you are firing (ie 6mm for most of us).

Ok

Perhaps we should standardise what we are doing, for all future tests.

That would probably be a god idea.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself enough. I was getting at using a man, as the target. :P I guess to compare BB's you need paper and do not shoot over 30m. After that judgement, rifle and wind come into the picture more.

I am too used to long ranged shooting with larger targets, in an effort to make the shooting as helpful to me as possible. I'm not used to shooting paper targets up close, as you may tell. I guess my own style of target shooting is more like FIELD ARCHERY, which involves shooting at targets through cover and in tough situations. This is the best practice firing you can do, to aid your chances of getting that one shot hit at longer ranges.

Even if your HOP is turned fully off, the pellet must still sit behind the nub and therefore contact it upon firing. If not then the pellet would just fall out of the barrel once you cocked the rifle and pointed the muzzle down.

To me, if the pellets gave great groups at 30m with no HOP on that doesn't make them the best pellets for longed shooting with HOP UP on. I think this test will show more than just pellet performance and will show a combination of rifle and skill too.

magictomcat: you press "upload products" once on the review database page (at the top right hand side), if the product you want to review is not already there.

Also if you are happy with your custom HOP, then do not change it. Can you take a picture of it and put it in the TANAKA thread when you next have it stripped (I don't expect you to dismantle it just for that).

;)

Id say the targets themselves dont matter, as its the grouping that counts, so as long as you measure the groupings, its fine :)

I personally prefer to have the smallest point of aim possible to minimize human error in aiming at the target, hence the small red dot on my sheets.

I've put a few BBs through a variety of guns while testing various things and something occured to me which I thought I'd mention...

If you had a sufficiently padded BB trap, it'd be interesting to shoot BBs through it one at a time and seperate out any "flyers" and then, afterwards, reshoot all the flyers and see if they're still inaccurate the 2nd time.

That would prove if the BB was dodgy or if it was a hiccup with the mechanism of the gun.

I mean, to take this to its logical conclusion, if you take a single BB and shoot it over and over it should give much better groupings than a bunch of BBs.

What we could do with, as well, is a set of super-accurate digital scales to weigh BBs, to see if that's where the influence lies.

I would never reshoot BB's in a serious airsoft gun. Apparrantly the pressure of being shot has effects on the BB and I would not want to see one explode in my rifle. Interesting idea though.

I agree about the scales being something that could prove much about the quality of different pellets.

As I say, I think tests at long range show off the rifle/user more than just the pellets.

Good hunting ;)

I think you'll still get those in the general/newbie forums, since these are for snipers/upgraded guns, and noobs dont tend to want to pay so much for bbs :P

and since most ppl who ask that done search, haha

Ok, well I I re-did the tests, with hop ON this time. The rifle setup is exactly the same as in the first test.

The first set of results will be reposted for easier comparison without having to switch between pages (sorry 56k-ers :P )

These results are from the FIRST test with hop turned OFF

bbcomparison.jpg

bbcomparison2.jpg

Marui .3g

Vertical grouping:

33.5mm

horizontal grouping:

25.0mm

Marushin .3g

Vertical grouping:

35.0mm

Horizontal grouping:

35.5mm

STRAIGHT .36g washed

Vertical grouping:

35.0mm

Horizontal grouping:

35.0mm

These results are from the SECOND test with hop turned ON

The hop was turned on at 7 clicks for ALL the tests.

maruihop.jpg

marushinhop.jpg

straighthop.jpg

Marui .3g

Vertical grouping:

24.5mm

Horizontal grouping:

22.5mm

Marushin .3g

Vertical grouping:

41mm

Horizontal grouping:

32mm

Straight .36g washed

Vertical grouping:

24.5mm

Horizontal grouping:

31.5mm

Surprisingly, the hop reduced the groupings by quite a bit! Very nice surprise indeed, haha. No fliers in the marui bbs, amazing grouping.

Marushin's performance was horrific, even the main body was pretty scattered as you can see, very disappointing.

Straight gave quite interesting results, same vertical grouping as marui, but due to 2 fliers, almost as bad as marushin in the horizontal grouping. However, if you look at the main body, you get a 20x22mm grouping, which is better than marui! Then again, with 2 fliers in 10 bbs, where marui had none, my conclusion is that marui is the overall winner.

In case you forgot, this is my rifle setup:

ALL laylax internals, with upgraded sears instead of zero trigger.

laylax 430mm 6.03 tightbore

firefly SOFT v-hop bucking

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would put all my results up in this format aswell, for easy visual comparison.

S6001002.jpg

All out of the same TANAKA m40a1 with the same amount of HOP.

PELLET ............ Vertical ........ Horizontal

0.28g G+P .......... 3.1 ................ 2.8

0.29g SGM ........... 3.0 ................ 3.5

0.30g EliteAirsoft ... 4.0................ 3.1

0.30g SIIS ............ 4.0 ............... 3.1

0.30g MARUZEN ..... 2.1 ............... 3.7

0.30g HFC ............. 4.0 ............... 3.0

0.36g Straight ........ 3.1 .............. 3.0

User error could well be a factor. I hope to do it again but from prone with bipod.

I hope to do some more longer ranged testing soon. I know someone with STRAIGHT 0.43g and will add them to the tests.

Good Hunting ;)

Archived