BB comparison

sirrith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVmTrT1XwTc

there is your test. a very rough 150ft. seems like the rifle is shooting hotter than usual,maybe i left the gas sitting in the sun who knows..the bbs were getting to my osama paper target pretty quickly.

groups still close.

the actual target is 5"x5.5"

I know this is me being picky, but I think we need to find some more proof from shots being taken at targets at elevation = to the shooter.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as in footage maybe where the camera is placed by me behind the rifle towards the target? Or the other way around? Ill get a video up asap, if that is what you mean 762?

Hell, might make for a nice angle anyways..

Im thinking about taking a video of a 300ft shooting trial, putting the camera near my rifle..or somewhere you can see the target in the distance..however i doubt the groupings will be close..first test ill try 5 shots and all speculations as far as wind direction and such will be stated..seeing as that a 100yard shot is a tough one for an airsoft gun

I think at 300ft, there are so many factors involved in where the super light, spinning pellets go that it is not that conclusive for "BB comparison." The main factor being that of wind unless your 300ft test is indoors. The idea of the BB comparison test, was to aim at the centre of the target and see where the pellets ended up in relation to each other. ie your grouping.

The film must show your shooting position and then zoom closer onto the target in 1 shot to show it really is at 300ft.

Don't get me wrong, I would still be interested to see your film, as I have filmed numerous shots at 200ft or less. The film will show a combination of your guns performance, the pellets, the conditions and your skill.

I am currently editing a short film about target shooting with our cheapest gun (TM M1911a1 springer"). We intend to work through all the 6mm guns we have, but decided to start with that spring gun, to establish a benchmark.

Good Hunting ;)

nice a springer, should be an interesting test I havent even gotten to play with one in quite some time..deffinately fun for backyard games...or the occasional "here try these shooting glasses on" trick, but I dont know how many people would fall for that one.

anyways, I see what ya mean, hopefully ill get a clip or so in today..my ghillie is complete as well for my sniper guide and ill post that too. Im thinking of actually putting the camera next to the target so you can see the grouping and at the same time..me from a distance. I risk shooting my camera but maybe a thin sheet of plexi glass would do just fine if I place it in front of the camera lense. Either way both angles sound like good ones. Thanks bushman

Here's the FIELD TEST of the spring pistol, which is so worn out that the outer barrel fell off years ago. We enjoyed the test/competition and learnt how to make our future films (tests no.2+) better.

to see the film.

All distances are exact measurements btw.

Good Hunting ;)

My experience favours Maruzen .29sgms but they are comparatively expensive. Guarder high precision made .28's need a little more hop, but deliver almost the same result & are a lot cheaper.

Guarder high precision made .28's (Despite any micrometers, stethoscopes or radiation detectors) are about the same as sgms: they need a little more hop in my guns, 1/10 the price, 19/20 of them land as close to the target as sgm's (8" groups @ 70m).

Super info........................of course how it relates to sgms or guarder high precision made is debatable, so I'll continue to rely on first hand information.

I use Guarder's .28's in one of my Kokusai's and my "goofy" Toy-Tec M203. In wanting to find the right bb for my sniper pistol projects, I wanted to compare them to the Straight .30's and the Maruzen SGM .29's.

10 BB samples per Brand used in each test

Measuring Device: Mitutoyo #500-351

Chronograph: Competition Electronics "ProChrono"

Hop-up: off

Gas: Green Gas

82-84°F deg. Magazine Temperature

Gun: Maruzen M93R, stock except for KM 6.04mm TN 160mm barrel.

Barrels cleaned prior to testing.

Same pistol and magazine used for each test.

We all know different bb batches vary, most have their favorites, and yes...a 10 bb sample group (per manufacturer) would be regarded as statistically invalid as the sample group is too small. That said, here's what I found measuring the following brands in specific sizes.

Straight's .30 gram

Maximum Size range 5.85mm-5.91

Individual BB roundness deviation ~ 0.055mm

Average Velocity 368 fps

Velocity Deviation 15 fps

Guarders's .28 gram

Maximum Size range 5.93mm-5.94

Individual BB roundness deviation ~ 0.00-0.01mm

Average Velocity 385 fps

Velocity Deviation 2 fps

Maruzen Super Grand Master's .29 gram

Maximum Size range 5.91mm-5.94

Individual BB roundness deviation ~ 0.015mm

Average Velocity 375 fps

Velocity Deviation 7 fps

Out of the 10 bb sample the Guarder's the offer largest size, most consistent roundness and have the least individual size deviation.

I buy four bottles of 2,500 bb's each, for $72.00 shipped from:

http://www.epowersportsllc.com/

How do you know what wight of ammo to use in your gun? :unsure:

I don't really have the money to buy numerous bags of different BB's just to see which is best.

For example, I am going to purchase the new JG BAR-10. What weight ammo do you think I should use in this gun?

Thanks for any advice :)

well, there is a simple way to tell actually :)

these are some approxomate measurements that should give you an idea of will work will with what velocities. after that, you simply decide if you want the bb to be faster or have more stability. the heavier bbs will also have a flatter trajectory as long as you stay within the weight limmit your gun can handle. otherwise it will drop sooner than with lighter bb's.

200-300fps: .20-.25

300-40fps: .25-.28

40-above: .28-.30 and up.

for a bar 10 with no upgradesi would recomend G&P .28 gram bbs for the best mix of speed and accuracy. (it would be firing at around 316fps with the .28s)

Booster,

Great info. Always good to have a few stats behind what my practice has shown.

Next one to check would be 'Blaster Pro .28'.

These are a similar price to the Guarders, (1/10th SGMs!)

I've not had the time or correct conditions to test these 'properly', but I shot approx 100 rounds at a 12" target, 60m range.

9/10 hit. Not bad for a 'cheap bottle' that some softers would dismiss.

These bbs are dark green, so you cant see them in flight. Personally I prefer white, so that if I miss due to wind, I am aware. First impressions are that this is yet another example of the sgm monopoly downfall.

Maybe if Blaster & Guarder raised their prices, more people would give 'em a try. :P (The Stella, 'reassuringly expensive' approach!)

Also have a packet of Blaster .30g to give a try. These are white (better for me) & I was attracted to them after achieving 12" groups @ 45m...................with a TM Glock 17 :blink: !!!!!! Should be interesting to see what they do through the VSR.

Greg.

excellent tests Booster, thanks. Very proffesional. If you get the chance, could you test some KSC Perfect 0.30 BB's? There's been a bit of debate about them, and i would really like to see some reliable info about them. I would do them myself, but i lack the tools..

Just picked up some Blaster .3s yesterday from Airsoft Armoury AA Blasters... and after a quick 'seat-of-the-pants' test they seem to be on par with the SGMs I tried a few weeks back. This is in a bog-stock L96 Warrior1.

I certainly won't be shelling out (pun intended) 6x the price for SGMs any more. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

ok, here is my review on the siis .33g bb's. i do not have the shots down on a target yet because of the wind, but i will try to get that done when i can.

the rifle i tested these bb's with has a 150 spring with all laylax upgrade parts in the cylinder, and a laylax .03 barrel. the scope and hopup are adjusted for 100ft (i adjusted the hopup appropriatly for the .33's before the test). the tests were done v. ksc .30's, and the shots were taken from a prone position with a bipod.

physical appearance: these bb's arepowdery and soft. they are textured with little bumps which seems to be a rarely used method as bb's tend to be smooth and pollished. from what i can tell (i have no special tools, so just from what i can tell with the bare eye) these bb's do not have any deffects or inconsistency other than some specs of collor every once in a while.

performance: when i pulled off my first few shots the bb's seemed to have a pretty curved trajectory. i would have to aim with the 4th mill down to be able to hit a target 160ft out. after letting my rifle get used to these bb's though, i found that i could hit the 160 foot mark aiming on the 2nd mill.

compared to the ksc .30's these bb's have a somewhat flatter trajectory. at 250ft with the ksc's i have to aim at the 5 1/2 mill, where on these i only have to aim to the 4 1/2 mill.

the .33's also are very good at getting through leaves without being thrown too much off course. they are also better in wind than the .30's as expected. now, to give you an example of how much better they are in wind, where the .30's would be thrown off course to the point that aiming to the side is useless, the .33's will move only a few feet off course. so with these bb's you will of course have to compensate for wind in your shots, but you will be able to take more risky wind shots than with the .30's.

overall i find that these bb's are dead accurate out to pretty far ranges. i was able to hit a 6" wide target from 250ft fairly consistently.

maximum range on these bb's is something that i have yet to find out because of the wind, however i dont think it is much further than the ksc .30's, but the ksc .30's i find have exceptional range for their weight class.

overall impressions: i highly recomend these bb's for sniper rifles firing between 2.25J and 2.50J because they will give greater accuracy and stability than .30's, but be faster and have better range than .36's.

good points: accurate, consistent, stable in flight, good resistence to wind and plants, great range, accurate when used for lob-shooting, do not lose much velocity from the .30's. theoreticly they lose only 18fps, and when i tested them on drywall they got slightly greater penetration than the ksc .30's which implies that they are only losing about 10-15 fps from the .30's.

bad points: they are soft, so you have to be kind of carefull not to press your nail down to hard on them if you are hand loading them into the magazine. that is really my only grip about these bb's at all. otherwise they are great. i have yet to use these in a skirmish, but i will be using them for my next one, and if they do as well as i think they will then i will be making these my "primary" sniping bb for my 150 spring setup.

have not had time to do an official test yet, partially due to a tornado, but i was showing off my rifle and these bb's to a friend earlier today and i saw a metal poll about 3" or 4" thick. it was 225 feet out, light winds, warm temp, slightly humid (wasjust plinking, so i dont know exact measurements for humidity and temp) was shooting from the ground to a point on the poll about 15ft above the barrel of my rifle.

it hit dead on three shots in a row :D. from 225ft WITH wind. the .30's were thrown off course, and actually didnt get there much faster than the .33's

i was so impressed by these bb's, i just ordered another two bags. (two rather than one in case they stop manufacturing them like they did with the maruis as i could only find one place that had them)

Archived