BB comparison

sirrith

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tested Guarder .28 HPM (2500 rounds clear bottle) today at 50 meters, versus SGM and white straight (orange label), but it was a disappointment... Compared to the other two brands the Guarder produced much bigger groups. The difference was so obvious that I didn't even measured the groups.

I guess the Guarder will be good enough for my Asahi, but a big no-no for my sniper rifles.

SGM (or TM .30) wins by a mile!

Gutter!

I am baffled as they work so well for me. Trash, what is your barrel/fps etc? Did you find they needed extra hop, or were they just unworkable?

Sorry to hear they didn't work out for ya. But fair play for giving them a go.

Greg.

It won't be tomorrow Scithe, it'll be next Sunday. But I'll try and get in contact with him through other means.

thanks for the offer. after readin trashers tests i canceled my order. so it can wait till next sunday at your game. really appreciate the help (i would preffer the .36 uncoated ones over the .43's, but i will take what i can get :))

also greg, its kind of strange.... i find that the .29's are insanely accurate in my rifle with the 120 spring, but they cant hit the broad side of a barn with my 150 installed.... i have not heard about anyone else having this problem, but maybe trasher is getting better groupings from the sgm's due to the fact that they are slightly heavier.... who knows :P

The guarders are defiantly not on the same scale as the sgms and will have larger groupings, i am supprised though that you got alot better groupings with the white 0.36s than the guarders. The guarders may not be as accurate during grouping testing but i have found that they are good enough in actual games against body sized targets. Are you sure that wind conditions didn`t play a factor in the results, also as greg pointed out the guarders do seem to need more hop than the sgms or even 0.30 bbs, are you sure that the less hop was throwing them off target.

I am baffled as they work so well for me. Trash, what is your barrel/fps etc? Did you find they needed extra hop, or were they just unworkable?

Sorry to hear they didn't work out for ya. But fair play for giving them a go.

Laylax stainless 430mm, Firefly hard rubber, rock solid 558fps.

I set the hop for each brand.... Guarder produced the widest spread, BBs tended to curve left or right at 50m. Few consistent hits. Switched to Straight .36, tighter groups, less flyers. Then loaded .29 SGM, reset the hop. Nice tight groups, minimal # of flyers, consistent shots.

Next day I fired around 400-500 .28s from my Mk23 (bone stock) and a borrowed TM SOCOM (guarder ftk, 420fps). For these guns, the Guarder .28 was an excellent choice, very similar to the GP .28 in performance.

In the end, I bought around 10K BBs to feed my non-sniper guns.

The guarders may not be as accurate during grouping testing but i have found that they are good enough in actual games against body sized targets. Are you sure that wind conditions didn`t play a factor in the results,

It was a calm, foggy day, 7 Celsius, but I'll give them another try next weekend, just to make sure.

In my sniping experience (70% woodland, 30% urban) I rarely have the luxury to engage fully exposed, chest sized targets. I managed to pull off some difficult one shot kills this Saturday w/ the SGM (for example: range ~60m, hugging the ground, firing through a small gap under the foliage, through a window at ~55m half covered by a tree branch, through a doorway behind the window, into the very surpised target :) ). I think this would be very hard w/ a less consistent BB.

Laylax stainless 430mm, Firefly hard rubber, rock solid 558fps.

I set the hop for each brand.... Guarder produced the widest spread, BBs tended to curve left or right at 50m. Few consistent hits. Switched to Straight .36, tighter groups, less flyers. Then loaded .29 SGM, reset the hop. Nice tight groups, minimal # of flyers, consistent shots.

Next day I fired around 400-500 .28s from my Mk23 (bone stock) and a borrowed TM SOCOM (guarder ftk, 420fps). For these guns, the Guarder .28 was an excellent choice, very similar to the GP .28 in performance.

In the end, I bought around 10K BBs to feed my non-sniper guns.

Trash,

I wonder if it's the fps?

I use the Hpms with 400-500fps, perhaps above this you need the extra weight? As previously posted, I suspected the hpm's only have this window of efficiency: I've had my vsr up to 665 fps & not seen an improvement in accuracy using this ammo. I've often thought a heavier bb would improve things but not bothered experimenting due to my site's 500fps limit. It is also supported by your results in the mk23/socom etc.

I wonder why the sgm.s have a wider window of efficiency? Maybe you are right Scithe; an extra .01g makes all the difference.

Really interesting to know, many thanks for posting.

Greg.

The Mk23 is an interesting case, since it has the same VSR type of hop sleeve, short fixed bbl, 1 Joule on green. Amazingly accurate w/ GP or Guarder .28s at 40m, and noticeably less accurate w/ .20 and .25 BBs.

As for the velocity, my VSR is shooting better at 558fps than at 600fps.

The fps could be part of the solution, but I also suspect that certain barrels like certain BBs better.

The Mk23 is an interesting case, since it has the same VSR type of hop sleeve, short fixed bbl, 1 Joule on green. Amazingly accurate w/ GP or Guarder .28s at 40m, and noticeably less accurate w/ .20 and .25 BBs.

As for the velocity, my VSR is shooting better at 558fps than at 600fps.

The fps could be part of the solution, but I also suspect that certain barrels like certain BBs better.

Very true, but I'm on lalax too.

????

Greg.

• 4 weeks later...

About a year ago we had some BB tests for the Finnish airsoft magazine Softaaja. The heavier BBs were shot through my Type 96, having following parts installed:

PDI cylinder set lvl 3, PDI Spring SPR300, Laylax Damper cylinder head pro, Laylax Zero trigger set, PDI hop up chamber, PDI 6.01mm Inner Barrel, PDI Barrel Spacer, Sturman 6-24x50GD, OK 495MM Silencer, Maruzen bipod, KM RH75 V-shaped hop rubber.

The tests were shot indoor at 20 meters. The absolute winner of the test was Maruzen SGM. The grouping was 45mm with a average deviation of 18,9mm. The average speed of 8 shots was 155,4 m/s (=509fps, 3,417J) with a deviation of 1,87 m/s. No other bb was even close of it. I think we hit a very bad bag of .43g Straights, grouping was something over 100mm. Can't remember the color of the label, we weren't aware of those then. By the way, the SGMs were weighted with a calibrated powder scale, the average for ten BBs was 0,28g.

I'm still using .43g Straights with my Type 96. They're the only bullet good for the ultimate range shots. I tuned my gun down a little bit because of new nation wide limits, it has now a FF 150 spring and it shoots 2,99J with .43g Straights. I've been using SGM's with my cut down 200% PSG-1. SGMs are damn good, but maybe too light even for 2J guns if thinking about the maximum range. I think I'd gain more range with good quality .36g BBs.

I hope we can take more tests in the future at a bigger range. It would be really cool to have wide test results indoor @ 50m or more.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, no good.

Thanks for getting straight to the point ;)

What weight do you think would be best in a JG?

I heard KSC do high quality bb's

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/erol/erol.html ???

EDIT:

Would like to buy the bb's today so they will hopefully have arrived by tommorrow (I have a skirish at around 1ish) do you think zeroone will be able to do it within that time...

No.

The fastest delivery I got from them was next day, but even so I ordered the item about 7AM.

Shame about their dodgy practices. I was really liking their fast delivery times....Oh well.

Thanks to late now then :P , my original questions however still remain, what would be the best weight to use in the JG, also are the KSC's any good?

Cheers :)

Archived