BB comparison

sirrith

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hello people. i have been looking for some bb's cheaper than the tm's, and also lighter. i narrowed it down to either the G&P .28's, or phx .28's. which do you recomend i get? (i figure the phx's are not as good as the G+P's, but they are much cheaper, so i was wondering how much of a difference there would be.

Get the best bbs you can. It does make a BIG difference IMO, especially at longer ranges.

why wouldn't you do it outside in the conditions you will be playing. Who cares how they are indoors if you are using them outdoors? You will RARELY have a day with ZERO wind.

As stated by tomcat, this thread is about comparing bbs. Because of this, we need to have the same conditions, or as close to the same for every bb, otherwise the test would be unfair, and therefore pointless.

i conducted some tests with my rifle and a mates today.

I dont think BB comparison should be a fair title for this thread,

to me bb comparison would mean the same bench mark rifle shooting the different type of bb's whilst everything else remianed the same,

every one has a different set up, so they all factor with the accuracy.

ill get my results up soon along with a rifle setup.

if everybody else agrees, should we change this to maybe "rifle grouping comparison" ? as thats basicaly what we are doing.

Ok heres my results.

First information on each rifle:

My Rifle:

TM Gpsec, Fitted with;

Zero Trigger

PSS10 Spring (515fps with .2)

PSS10 spring guide

PSS10 Teflon Cylinder

PSS10 Cylinder Head Dampener

FireFly V Hop (Hard Version)

PDI 6.01mm inner barrel (430mm long)

Ammo Used: .36 Digicon NON coated

Staceh's Rifle

TM Gspec Fitted with;

Upgraded Trigger Sears

Stock Cylinder, and Stock Piston

PSS10 Spring guide

PSS10 Spring (420fps with .2)

PSS10 6.03mm inner barrel (430mm long)

Ammo Used: .28 Extreeme BB's

2 tests were carried out, in an enclosed warehouse, from a prone postition:

DSC00686.jpg

First test was done at a target 10m away, measured with a tape measure :)

DSC00687.jpg

My Results:

DSCF0082.jpg

4cm x 3.5 cm groupings

Staceh's Results:

DSCF0081.jpg

3cm x 4cm groupings

Second test was carried out at 15m away.

My results:

DSCF0084.jpg

9cm x 7.5cm

Staceh's Results:

DSCF0083.jpg

7cm x 7.5cm

I am not sure if my hop was set correctly, as im trying it out tomorrow.

most our shots pulled left of the target, not sure why, as there was no wind, i was expecting better groupings than this, but i would expect theres a reason to the fairly poor groupings, im betting its the hop more than anything.

if most shots pulled left and there is no wind, then it could be your scope isnt zeroed correctly, adjust the crosshair to the left (so it is ontop of where the bbs are actully hitting) then try again and it should get the bbs to land where you want them.

Well, originally I intended this to be a BB comparison thread, but I dont mind, if you feel the title change is appropriate, then feel free to do so :)

Nice tests by the way, I really would like to be able to do 10-15m tests indoors..

Given a couple of weeks, we should be able to get some 30m test results as well, i 'think' the warehouse is just about long enough for 40m tests. I think personally the tests should be carried out in a wind free enviroment, given the nature of the weapons used.

Gonna grab some different ammo types as well as zeroing my scope to perfection first. See how my rifle performs on Bauers ammo and his on mine.

What we could really use is a benchmark for comparison, a stock TM Gspec firing .20/.23/.25/.28/.30/.36 at 10/15/20/25/30 metres, with the hop set right.

I think bauers right, its more a grouping thread than a bb thread at the moment, maybe someone could collate the information for airsoftsniper.co.uk into some kinda spreadsheet of diff ranges/weights/make and groupings?

• 3 weeks later...

These are great & objective test results. Really pleasing too see, rather than the usual 'kills @ 120feet' rubbish ya normally see.

I know this is annoying, but @ 500fps practical targets are normally 50m +.

So can anyone do these same type of tests at that type of range.

Especially liked the indoor off the sand bags thing.

Some time ago I did similar on a very still day using A5 size targets out to 70m.......No photos & not quite as scientific, but hit about 9 out of ten times!!

If I get the time to reproduce this & post photos I will.

What I found was that different bbs were effected differently but the hop & any gentle breeze. This of course only showed over these longer ranges.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that a certain set up may well give a very accurate result @ 7 or 15m, but this may well be rubbish as more practical ranges are approached.

Greg.

That is very possible due to the nature of the hopup and the surface of the different brands of bbs, however, if we were to test them with a breeze, the test would be invalid, as there would be no way to ensure the breeze is the same with each shot.

It would be quite safe to say, however, that the chances of the bbs with better results in these tests would also produce better results in game conditions. I'm sure you can see my point: if a certain brand of bbs has a grouping of 40mm due to fliers, and another brand had a grouping of 20mm, because it didnt have any fliers, then it stands to reason that the brand with the 20mm grouping and no fliers should have a better grouping at larger distances, no?

Testing at long range must be done in a wind free environment with numerous brands of BB on the same day from the same rifle to be anywhere near a conclusive test.

I understand that with breeze (ie outdoors) it will give more "in game results" but those results could favour a different pellet each time you did the test, purely down to random factors out of your control.

Such results could still be posted but would not be scientific enough to be conclusive. Instead they would just show the performance of your own particular rifle on that day. That in itself is interesting but far from hard evidence that a particular pellet is better than another.

Good Hunting ;)

Well, I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but what would be an optimum BB on a gun shooting about ~1.9joules? That is, get the most amount of distance without sacrificing accuracy.

Should have mentioned, I don't know what kind of barrel is in it (free gun from a friend, but it's been chrono'd), shoots at 1.9, bolt action, etc etc (Sirrith has seen it). While i'm asking, should I revamp the internals?

Well, I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but what would be an optimum BB on a gun shooting about ~1.9joules? That is, get the most amount of distance without sacrificing accuracy.

Should have mentioned, I don't know what kind of barrel is in it (free gun from a friend, but it's been chrono'd), shoots at 1.9, bolt action, etc etc (Sirrith has seen it). While i'm asking, should I revamp the internals?

I find that .25-.3 would suit that but most folks go for heavier ammo due to its stability in flight (less affected by wind).

The very best thing you can do is beg, borrow or buy a small amount of various ammo & test them yourself to see which one suits your gun best.

My experience favours Maruzen .29sgms but they are comparatively expensive. Guarder high precision made .28's need a little more hop, but deliver almost the same result & are a lot cheaper.

Go skirmishing, ask around I'm sure you will meet some helpful folk, who are more than willing to help your plight.

Greg.

• 3 weeks later...

something odd i just realised after ordering some ksc perfect .30's is that they are shooting farther, faster, with a flatter trajectory, and more consistently than my marui .30's. the difference is not THAT big, just a small difference in all of the above categories. considering though that i am paying much less for the ksc's and that i am getting BETTER results though, i have to assume that something is up....

have you checked to see if btoh the marui and ksc bbs are the correct weight, and not just heavy/light bbs that are mispackaged.

the trajectory is only realy effected by 2 things, hopup and bb weight (wind doesnt coutn as it would effect both sets of bbs). so chances are the weight is different, or maybe one set of bbs arnt gripping the hopup right. im not sure. Faster would sugest the kscs are lighter though, because 2 bbs, both .3g and both 6mm fired from the same gun (assuming the gun is consistent) will fire at the same speed, irregardless of manufacturer.

Archived