BB comparison

sirrith

wow, according to their site they are still making the .33's... so why does nobody sell them?

anyway, i dont entirely understand your question bodeups. the firefly is a v-hop no?

and greg, you'v got me intrested on this silk sealing technique now :P was the gun that it worked so well on a tokyo marui? if not, what brand was it? can you give me more details on what this stuff is and how it works? cause with an fps increase like that it has got to be worth looking into :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think KM do some v-hops for AEGs, but im not sure about that. I know they do for the VSR.

other than that, no idea.

Scithe, just a word of warning about the SIIS .33s

I bought a pack of them a few months back, and some of the bbs had bits sticking out, and I found a wierdly shaped lump of plastic in the bag that looked like an anorexic bb.

Maybe it was just my bag, but I havnt trusted SIIS since :P

wow sirrith :P that is messed up. i didnt find any poblems with my .33's there was some crud in the bag (aside from the excessive amount of white powder used, i found some collored specs in the bag and on the bb's) but nothing severe however it does cause some severe inconsistencies. however after wiping em down between my fingers they fire insanely accurately, like nothing i have ever seen. there are a couple of fliers here and there, but it is generally worth it.

out of curiosity, have you tried firing the good ones through your rifle? how did they work out?

Scithe,

Yes it was. A G-spec. The figure was between 'un-sealed' & 'whipped'. I've achieved similar on other vsr's & aegs, but that was the best I can remember.

The hop taping thing (wrapping ptfe tape or similar) is the popular way to 'seal' the hop to the barrel, helping to reduce air loss between the two. I figured 'whipping' would be more efficient. I have no comparison figures between 'taping' & 'whipping' & it could be that they are equally efficient. It may even be that taping is better than whipping, but I very much doubt it, as the whipping (if correctly done) gives a very strong seal.

Thinking about it, taping is just whipping, but with tape, instead of whipping silk. :unsure:

Go to a fishing shop or site for info on how they attach rings to the rods.

Basically you put the hop rubber on the barrel in the normal way & then wrap the silk (bought from most good fishing shops for a few quid), fine cotton or a synthetic, around the hop rubber for about 2mm at the barrel end. Too tight will distort the rubber & too loose will mean no seal, you'll see what I mean as you do it. Keep the tension constant & wrapping neat. The starting & finishing technique are a bit difficult for me to explain (there are no knots, the end tags are pulled back under the whipping) but if you do a search on the net (maybe 'whipping eyes to rods' or something) you are bound to find a 'how to'.

It could be done to any hop on any gun but in my experience the pressure only starts to be lost when ya get above 420 fps. I only use the process on guns that are shooting over that.

Good luck, I doubt you'll regret it.

Greg.

cool, thanks man.

only thing though, is that after looking up whipping silk (now that i have a better idea what it is) it seems that it would be somewhat harder to wrap the hopup with it than teflon tape as it is a thread rather than a flat tape.

normally i do not tape my hopup because, although my rifle shoots over 420fps, the teflon tape does not increase the fps by any noticeable amount. i have tried every method possible, taping over the hop, between the hop and barrel, taping both under and over. but all that it does is prevent me from closing the hopup chamber as tightly as without it. there are no effects on the performance. do you know why this is? will the silk solve this problem?

What barrel & spring set up do you have?

I would not expect taping to make any difference unless the spring is over 150.

& yes, it is harder than taping, but with a bit of practice, it should tke about 2 minutes, plus taking the barrel/hop out.

Greg.

150 spring behind a 303 barrel, I would expext to get more than you are. This is as per the example I gave, only with a 430x6.03mm lalax.

Try the whipping & remove, (if its there) the air brake/silent shaft from the front of the piston & seal any hole (if left).

Greg

what kind of fps should i be getting from my setup? (keep in mind i was just guessing, i have not chronoed it.)

also, i found that the silent damper does not really decrease my range, but it does make my rifle a hellofalot quieter, so i want to keep it there.

A spring rated achievement is more than possible 150m/s=495fps.

The air brake should make a noticeable difference on a chrono, if not on your shooting. Air brake removal performance does vary a bit. In my experience it, like the taping, only gives significant gains with 150 springs or stronger.

You are right about the noise.

Extending the barrel could give you best of both worlds: The fps will go up, I've recorded like for like fps of 535 with a 430mm & 565 with a 555mm inner barrel.

Greg.

nah, i thought about putting in a 430mm barrel, but i wind up using my g-spec without the silencer for a cqb role (yes, it is possable) a lot so i dont want to lose the ability to shorten it.

anyway, i will be visiting a sports store to get a closer look at the whipping silk and see if it will be worth getting.

thanks for the help.

hello again everyone. i went out to shoot today and for some reason my siis .33's stopped shooting well. i dont know why... they just randomly stopped shooting well. before i was getting inch groupings at 100ft, now the bb's are all over the place. i shot at a target about 30ft away and the first shot was high, so i adjusted my scope, and it hit waaaaay to low (no, i did not adjust wrong). i had taken appart my vsr to clean it and tape the hop, i was thinking that that may be the cause of it. but then i removed the tape from the hop and it still wont fire accurately. i know it is not my g-spec since i still have a few maruis and they are shooting just fine.

anyway, i am giving up on these bb's as it has been doing this for several days now and wearing in is not helping. i guess they really do suck and i had just gotten a lucky bag.

so, time to find a new bb. sirrith, did washing the .36's reduce fliers?

ya... looking now i see i forgot to mention that. i have a total of three bags which i had gotten since at first they were so good that when i saw they stopped making them i did not want to run out for a while. i was running low on my second bag so i oppened a new one and poured the rest from the first bag into the second bag. i also tried the third bag with nothing but negative results.

i am looking into going with the straight .36 bb's, but i hear they leave residue in the barrel and hopup unit. is this true? or is it just for graphite ones?

ah, cool. those seem to be the most accurate bb's from what i have seen earlier in the thread though they do seem to have a couple of fliers here and there. does anyone know of any bb's heavier than .30's that have the same accuracy as the straight .36's, but are somewhat more consistent?

The washed .36 did get improved groupings, and I would certainly not recommend you use them without washing them, it really messes up your hop and barrel.

My rifle has a m130 in it, and a 430 6.03, making it shoot slightly over 450. it still does perfectly fine with .3gs, so I havnt really looked for anything heavier. I was tempted to try some .43s though.. hehe

Scithe, it's interesting you should bring this up as I have noticed unusual performance with my SIIS 0.33g bb's as well.

I was tinkering about with the 3 heavyweight BB's I have this morning (SIIS 0.33g, and Digicon 0.36g and 0.43g both uncoated varieties). Currently using a Laylax hard hop rubber and bucking.

I adjusted the hop for the 0.36g and was happy with the performance. Tried the 0.43g and was satisfied that the under-hopped performance was still good enough in a pinch.

But then I tried the SIIS 0.33g. I fired 10 shots, and expected them all to reach for the sky. Instead, every one of them dropped out of the end of the barrel at about 80 feet, consistently. The only explanation I can think of is that the powdered coating on the 0.33g BB's is somehow lessening the hop effect.

Did you try rubbing the powder off of the SIIS bb's Scithe?

actually, this you may find somewhat amusing, i noticed that the siis .33's were performing best after firing a fair amount of shots through my rifle after cleaning. so apparently the powder is a good thing with these. either way though, my main problem is that they are inconsistent. some shots will go high, some low (there can be as much as 6ft between shots at 125ft) and some shots will veer to the side, but never the same side. very frustrating.

Archived