The system was being abused and the continual complaints and issues with it detracted from staff and admin time that could be better served elsewhere. That's just the way things are.

The rep system is likely to disappear completely in the next forum upgrade later on this month anyway, as there's a massive software upgrade due.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two words superglued together in response to this:

HOORAHAAAAAAGH!

"Is that good or bad?" "Well, let me put it this way Eddie, the possibilities for Tiberium no rep system HOORAHAAAAAAGH! are... limitless!"

In all seriousness, probably good long term.

So now instead of giving a -1 on the spot after a flame war, all the kiddies will head over to the Sale section and give them the -1 there? Did anyone think of this besides me?

It's not everyday someone calls themselves "utterly retarded", so check my rep here for a good laugh from sekiryu.:)

Hah. You're trying to show your rep off, but when you click the link all you get is "Empty". You're right. I did get a good laugh. :P

Edited by cllwayzata2011

Well it's about damn time :P

Just in the last few days someone gave me a rep. point for the "My time in the US" thread, citing his reason as "You shot a USP, which is a gun I own".

What the hell? Why do I deserve more reputation for that? Or is it just Internet ######-waving about the guns he owns? ;) No offence meant to the guy who gave me that rep. point, but the use of the system has always been a sore point with me.

I think this was a fantastic idea. Too much childishness on the forums just because of that one thing.

However the down side of it would be that we can't tell how trustworthy a person is. Look at it as the way I did up till the end. If the person was -8, I wouldn't take their opinion or advise very critically. But if they had +20 (+), then I'd listen to them more readily because they were "more well liked" on the forum, and thusly had a higher chance of being truthworth, at least in the respect of being truthworthy on a forum. That doesn't really go a long way.

(NOTE: for the users with +200, I never listened because I knew who they were. Havoc and Sledge for the most part. And no one listens to them)

~Prometheus

The only good thing about the Rep system was it allowed you to see good posts you had made in the past.

Glad to see it gone, though. Didn't quite sit right with me that I had more reps than Arnies - no one really should.

So now instead of giving a -1 on the spot after a flame war, all the kiddies will head over to the Sale section and give them the -1 there? Did anyone think of this besides me?

Anyone found to be abusing the reputation system will receive a week's suspension without exception. Should it be repetitively abused by an individual, I'm sure you can all guess the outcome. This may seem harsh, but if there's no reason to follow the rules then there will always be those who will break them.

Im glad to see the back of it, it should of stayed as a sales rep only, nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe you could only give sales rep after a transaction, a PM should be sent to the user and the other saying like "a transaction has been completed, please leave a feedback on them" or whatnot.

And you can only give them feedback if they have completed a deal, that way it'll stop people abusing the rep system.

I also think a good idea may be to just make the rep bar viewable in all forums, but only editable in sales forums. It would just show what kind of person you are, because they could look at your rep, and see if you're honest or not just by your transactions. If you have a lot of bad transactions, it would show them not to trust you.

I also think a good idea may be to just make the rep bar viewable in all forums, but only editable in sales forums. It would just show what kind of person you are, because they could look at your rep, and see if you're honest or not just by your transactions. If you have a lot of bad transactions, it would show them not to trust you.

Good idea Matt. +1 for you... Wait. <_< Darn.

Seriously I do believe that would be a good idea.

Edited by evilliboba
Or seeing as how it would still be irrelevant in any other part of the forums as it now pertains solely to sales, we could leave it as it is.

I agree with Jack here. I can see what you're saying, but it seems to me that how good a seller a person is has little relevance on anything else such as their technical know-how, their general personality, etc. I think as long as the new feedback system is used in the correct way that there should be no problems.

Besides, surely if it was visible everywhere, we would just see a lot of very sad people putting up false sales in order to boost their meaningless number (much in the same way as some chaps now seem to have taken to sticking in their sig... ;) )

In relation to the question about previous commercial deals, I can't see any issue with past closed / confirmed sales having their plus reps re-added by the seller and buyers, provided they link back to actual purchases. I would stress however that I am only a moderator and so if you're wanting to do this I would advise you to check with Arnie first. :)

Well 90% of my rep points were from helping people, 9% were from projects/ideas and 1% was for making someone laugh.

Funny to see all the people who had lowish rep counts saying they're glad to see the back of it - no doubt because their ego said they should of had more :P

Whilst the rep system gave an at-a-glance look at how well liked/respected a member is, I kinda go by how long a person has been a member- respect for elders I guess (not that you have to be old to have been a member a while but you get my meaning). That, and looking at what people actually type will give me a good indication of how intellegent/knowledgable a person is.

Edited by Triggerhappychappy

tbh anyone whos around arnies for a while, knows whos who, regardless of rep system, granted i had around 100, but i dont mind it going, it was abused, and i much prefer the ascuk syle of sales only

although thiers was accessable in normal forums too, peps only used it for sales

i much prefer to see how trustworth someone is than how funny they are...

Well 90% of my rep points were from helping people, 9% were from projects/ideas and 1% was for making someone laugh.

Funny to see all the people who had lowish rep counts saying they're glad to see the back of it - no doubt because their ego said they should of had more :P

Interesting - have you been reading a different thread to the rest of us? I have seen quite a lot of users with high rep in here, and have seen little grievance on their part.

I find it quite sad for you that you find random numbers on the intarweb affect your ego one way or the other.

As has already been said, the best way to judge a person is based upon the content of their posts. Heaven knows what judgements people may make about you if you always make such contributions.