Army SF & SOF Pics

old but still cool.

dfst9209429zj9.jpg

EDIT: I believe this is the first model of the M4. Notice the M4 barrel? the first of them came with the older A1 recievers. If i'm wrong it could be a old M727 carbine.

Edited by trfo2o
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the MAP craze at all. As I see it, it's a way of carrying quite a bit of kit without having to wear a pack over your rig, yeah, great. But you can't get to it unless you completely doff your rig (or unless you have someone else rummage around in there for you). That seems clumsy, inconvenient and, in a real situation, potentially dangerous.

I just can't see the usefulness, personally, at least not in the HUGE numbers that the latest craze surrounding them seems to be producing. I mean, I'll be the first person to admit that they look cool, but they only seem useful to me in very limited circumstances.

Yar, MAPs are useful if you're hardcore enough to unleash their full potential. I chug mountain dew before ever game and use my map to hold back up dry clothes for low profile post warfare operations.

Edited by HeuteGegangen

Well they must have their uses since they're issued as part of MLCS, MBSS, SFLCS and FSBE II.

It's also not a new concept. ABA, Eagle, LBT were all producing rigs with fastex buckles on the back for day packs decades before molle came along.

Like you said, it's a way of carrying kit that needs someone else to access it for you. Therefore, why would anyone put anything from their fighting load into it? Obviously, it would only contain items which you would need when not in a dangerous situation.

Things like: radios, explosive moe gear, extra medical supplies, clothing, laptops, food, water... you get the idea, not exactly stuff you will get out under fire without your buddies around.

Now that I can see a use for. Same goes for the Paraclete RAV/RMV Assaulter's Back Panel. The reason is, they're divided up and serve a specific purpose - flashbangs in one pouch, mags in another, breaching tools elsewhere, etc etc.

The MAP, on the other hand, just seems unfocussed. It's not obvious what's in each pouch - nothing is discretely marked. Yeah, you can arguably get more in a MAP, but if you need to carry a lot of stuff, why not just run a small 3-day pack?

EDIT: Reading my post through, it sounds really negative. I'm not slating the MAP design as rubbish, but I just can't figure out why they're so popular. They look to serve a VERY specific purpose, and it's a purpose that I can't see many people having the need for.

Edited by HaVoC
Now that I can see a use for. Same goes for the Paraclete RAV/RMV Assaulter's Back Panel. The reason is, they're divided up and serve a specific purpose - flashbangs in one pouch, mags in another, breaching tools elsewhere, etc etc.

The MAP, on the other hand, just seems unfocussed. It's not obvious what's in each pouch - nothing is discretely marked. Yeah, you can arguably get more in a MAP, but if you need to carry a lot of stuff, why not just run a small 3-day pack?

EDIT: Reading my post through, it sounds really negative. I'm not slating the MAP design as rubbish, but I just can't figure out why they're so popular. They look to serve a VERY specific purpose, and it's a purpose that I can't see many people having the need for.

I'm saying that there has been an evolution from the MAP (a concept that has been around for a while) to the assault panels. Yeah an assault pack is nice because you can easily remove it in the field, but you also have an extra set of straps running down your shoulder. A MAP is less cumbersome but in the same hand the MAP is less accessible for the person wearing it. Thus the reliance on teammates, or should I say the purpose of wearing a MAP is for your teammates. It is totally debatable, some people like them and some don't. The military uses them for a reason that obviously escapes us.

but if you need to carry a lot of stuff, why not just run a small 3-day pack?

It will never make sense to you if you think of it as a smaller version of a full assault pack. The 3-day, was originally designed for, well, 3-day missions. You can squeeze in your sleeping bag, food and other living equipment.

However, you can just about squeeze a roll mat into the MAP. It will probably make more sense if you realise that it is an evolution of the hydration pouch, just much more useful and flexible. They are usually used for more mission specific equipment.

Whether or not you can see it is a moot point. There are a lot of people in the real world using it so it follows that they have a need for it.

If you are talking about airsofters; when I last used a MAP (not just for looks) it carried water (duh!), ammo, extra pyro and food for 24 hours. If I had used my RAID, the stuff would be bouncing around everywhere and I would have been carrying a lot of unnecessary weight in nylon.

I've always seen them as an evolution of the hydro pack, funnily enough. I mentioned the use of a SMALL 3-day pack, more in line with the new TT 1-day pack or something even smaller (Camelbak HAWG, for example).

Yeah, you have an extra set of straps, but to me something like the HAWG would be infinitely more useful than a MAP.

Going back to what I was saying, I'm not saying the MAP is a bad design - far from it. What I'm trying to figure out is why so many people use them. I'd have thought they were far too niche an item for the widespread use they seem to have gained.

Not seen those specific pics before tinkle, thanks. It looks BIGGER than the 3-day in the second pic! :lol:

I'm still interested in one as a carry-on bag for flights, though. It has the ID window, a big carry handle, and the size is perfect. That's the market for it, right there.

Anyway, yeah, I should have phrased it better. Packs like the TT 1-day and the HAWG are a relatively new thing and don't seem to have a name yet. The HAWG is a HAWG and doesn't seem to be categorisable. Ah well, you get what I mean. :)

Dunno about using it as carry on. Generally in the UK carry size limits are 55x40x20 cm maybe a bit bigger.

Never measured it but I've been refused my RAID pack as a carry on.

mremerica, imagine my surprise when pictures of me and some mates turn up on some french website as 'real operators'

i'm torn between webbing and a Plate carrier of some sort for my SF look.

not to mention the camo.

its kinda a blend of Seals and Delta (they both look so cool)

kit list:

Pro tech helmet

Baraclava

BDU/Flightsuit ???

Plate Carrier/Webbing+Armour

Drop leg dump pouch

Safariland 6004 Holster

S.W.A.T tan boots

Nomex Flight gloves

Goggles/Shooting glasses

Scrim net scarf/Shmegh thingy ?????

Weapon is will be a TM 14

any help would be appreciated

I'd also like to add about the modular assault packs (MAP) is that you can put satellite comms, PRC 148 MBITR, camelkback, and extra flotation devices in it. They are just the right size. For entry tools, it would be harder to access them if they were inside the MAP.

Paraclete does seem to be the order of the day.  RAVs and Plate carriers (without cummerbund) are the most commonly seen in smoke green, but other colours are used as well.  Also seen in use are the BHI DOAV and this

1911s in 6004s

Clothing wise, what suits the environment.  Confirmed sightings of DCU, BDU, ACU and multicam.

M4 with RAS MRE or HK 416.

I'll pm you with a list my buddy wrote.

Tinkle, would you mind pm me that list too, I've pretty much picked out the stuff above with various MICH's added, but would like some more suggestions on a CAG-outfit. Cheers,