Army SF & SOF Pics

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking again, I think you might be right. Those are definately the pics I was thinking of, though (the top 3). Ah well, looks like my memory failed me again. :rolleyes:

Doesn't disprove the use of FSBE AAVs by Army SF though. Stephen (101st Abn.) used one as a private purchase, as has been said, and I'd not bet against other guys using them. :)

Oh yeah, as a sort-of aside, I remember the 'generic SF' guys in the TV show 'Over There' using FSBEs (which caught my eye straight away). Authenticity in these programs is often lacking, but to go through the trouble of getting Tan FSBE AAVs, they must have had some military advisor hint at their usage, I'd imagine.

Edited by HaVoC

Over There was the biggest POS ever. Don't even think for a second that they actually cared what kind of armor carrier an SF dude wore. They probably couldn't afford a CIRAS replica, so they ordered the FSBE replica from WGCshop instead. :D

Edited by BARsrule2
Looking again, I think you might be right. Those are definately the pics I was thinking of, though (the top 3). Ah well, looks like my memory failed me again. :rolleyes:

Doesn't disprove the use of FSBE AAVs by Army SF though. Stephen (101st Abn.) used one as a private purchase, as has been said, and I'd not bet against other guys using them. :)

Oh yeah, as a sort-of aside, I remember the 'generic SF' guys in the TV show 'Over There' using FSBEs (which caught my eye straight away). Authenticity in these programs is often lacking, but to go through the trouble of getting Tan FSBE AAVs, they must have had some military advisor hint at their usage, I'd imagine.

Those pics are rangers wearing SPEAR ranger body armour.

The trouble to get AAVs? Dude, there is no lack of airsoft shops in the US selling guarder gear. Veeeery easy to get a hold of. IIRC the show struggled a bit to get a network to take it on in the first place, then was *beep*-canned, not all military advisors now everything about the military. Seen this myself on set with someone who was I think, in a ceremonial guard unit try to tell us that the british army taught to shoot with a chicken wing. We didn't say it to his face, but there was a current serving squaddie with us who told us after that he was taught to shoot with both elbows tucked in.

Even the legendary John Mac is not an encyclopedia of british gear. Sorry for being a bit long-winded, but what I'm getting at is that many of these professionals were probably very good at what they did and could give a toss what people in another unit stationed on the other side of the country were wearing.

Good point on chickenwings, although I've seen some guys shooting like that before now, both in the UK and US forces. Some just prefer it, I guess, and take to it once they leave training.

I guess if said advisor had been shooting like that for however many years, he'd probably advise as such just because. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On the chicken wing topic...

Myself and two team mates who had parents who served in the military remarked that when they shot they all shot with a chicken wing. It may be an old skool thing.

Its definately an old school thing, I was taught that way when I first started shooting rifles (my dad taught me), but two years ago at a Junior High Power Comp I was told they don't teach people to shoot that way anymore. Must be an old thing

I was watching the history of the m16 on the History Channel, and it was showing the m16a1's when they were first introduced, and the training videos all the soldiers held them at least halfway up the handguard, with both arms horizontally out. It was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. They did not even lean into their shots.

I use yellow too, I think it helps you see more contrast in things, and see better in low lighting. With yellow lenses you can see the huge color difference in real multicam gear and fake multicam gear, but you cant with clear lenses. Clear would probably look a lot better with his awesome kit though. I really like the helmet and NVG mount you got going on there, great job.

Blue tints? They're just for the cool guy factor. :)

I've tried many tints and still find clear to be the best all round option.

If it's really bright, then I'll use grey, vr28 or g26. The VR28 does work really well when it's bright enough, enhancing contrast.

I agree, I find the clear ones to be the best option also. It was my first time using the yellow lenses to test it out.

MSA TC2000 Med Krylon'd with real deal nvg and rhino mount.

Petzl Tactikka with green lense.

ESS ICE with yellow tints.

Self Modded RAID style BDU's

Danner Acadia Boots.

Hatch operator gloves.

Alta superflex kneepads in black.

1st line

BHI molle belt in OD.

Gerber 600? multitool

SDS canteen pouch in woodland

SDS CQB m4 pouch in woodland(was used as holster)

TAG dump pouch in coyote

PPM quad pistol mag pouch in coyote

2nd Line

Eagle PC with CB in MJK

Eagle double m4 pouch in MJK

Eagle medical pouch in MJK

Eagle MBITR pouch in MJK

SDS M16 pouch in woodland x2

SDS canteen pouch in woodland

Tactical Tailor Gp pouch small in tan

Phantom MAP in khaki

various chemlights grimloks and carabiners

Replica MBITR

That should be the bulk of it.

Your army databases seem to be wrong.

Nope, I think they are right...

ricesf.jpg

the guys on the left, looks like 2 of them have Battlelab rigs on...judging by the straps...Tinkle, think you can help me out here? And...uh....Al Gore, top right 2nd from right anybody?

Edited by Blarney

Yellow lenses: Improve contrast in overcast conditions. They also work well under dense foliage.

Blue lenses: Dusk/Dawn twilight. So they have very limited use.

I personally use yellow lenses in woodland. More contrast helps when everything is greens and browns. In urban games I prefer using clear lenses, as they are better in fairly dark rooms inside.