Army SF & SOF Pics

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, the soft armor under the RAV is there because the plates in the RAV won't always completely stop the bullets. Better safe than sorry when it comes to 7.62's. Same concept with all the people wearing CIRAS and PACAs under them. Better safe than sorry when it's real steel, and if you are trying to be spot on with a loadout, then you might add that to your collection.

if you are only placing hard plate armor in the RAV, then yes, you need a soft armor carrier underneath for adequate protection. ALL plate armor (even "standalone") require soft armor (kevlar) backer. Although a round will not penetrate plate armor (appropriate for the rated round), the impact itself will still cause serious injury or death without a soft armor backer. Most people choose the RAV because it can carry both soft and plate armor in one package. hence why you don't see many folks wearing a soft armor carrier (like a PACA) under a RAV or CIRAS.

if i remember correctly, Level III will stop most 7.62 rounds. Level IV should stop 7.62 AP (armor piercing) rounds. Again, Level III and IV plates will require soft armor (usually Level III or IIIA) underneath to prevent serious impact injuries or death.

I think its time I explain...

The only reason the PACA is in the picture is because i had to have some structure to keep the RAV standing for the photos.

Because my SAPI plates is in my other vest.

So there we ended all speculations :ph34r:

mjkgalore2be9.jpg

Eagle CIRAS-LAND with the same pouches displayed earlier.

if you are only placing hard plate armor in the RAV, then yes, you need a soft armor carrier underneath for adequate protection. ALL plate armor (even "standalone") require soft armor (kevlar) backer. Although a round will not penetrate plate armor (appropriate for the rated round), the impact itself will still cause serious injury or death without a soft armor backer. Most people choose the RAV because it can carry both soft and plate armor in one package. hence why you don't see many folks wearing a soft armor carrier (like a PACA) under a RAV or CIRAS.

if i remember correctly, Level III will stop most 7.62 rounds. Level IV should stop 7.62 AP (armor piercing) rounds. Again, Level III and IV plates will require soft armor (usually Level III or IIIA) underneath to prevent serious impact injuries or death.

Not exactly true. You don't need soft armor under all plates, and in some cases its really unnecessary. Quote from a friend:

A Level IV "Stand-alone" plate or any other "Stand-alone" plate means that the plate stops the threat projectile and complies with the NIJ standard for penetration and back face deformation on it's own accord and without soft armor behind the plate
Edited by TheLair
  • 2 weeks later...
I worked with what I had for gear, so aside from an "authentic" look, what do you all think?

Well it isn't a Ranger impression if you have no Ranger gear, your weapon is wrong, you have too much facial hair, and your flag is worn incorrectly. I think the idea of an impression is that it looks like to person or persons you're portraying. About the only thing that it ranger-ish is the BDU.

Well it isn't a Ranger impression if you have no Ranger gear, your weapon is wrong, you have too much facial hair, and your flag is worn incorrectly. I think the idea of an impression is that it looks like to person or persons you're portraying. About the only thing that it ranger-ish is the BDU.

You're right... I should just shut up and let these pictures do the talking.

arq.jpg

agf.jpg