Army SF & SOF Pics

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

070228-F-2992S-002.jpg

USAF ParaRescue.

Awesome photo, though. Not seen it before, and I friggin' love the PJs. Gives me ideas as to what to do for Beltring...

Edited by HaVoC
Special Forces is a group within itself, special operations forces refers to the community as a whole. So army units would include Rangers, SF and D-Boys, though I guess they're called CAG now

SOF refers to any Special Operations Forces units in any service. Navy SEALs, AF PJs and CCTs and, technically, Marine Force Recon should count. If you want to limit it to Army only, USASOC units would be appropriate though this would count PsyOps and Civial Affairs as well.

Edited by jager
Wow, I guess you missed that whole army part of the sentence huh?

The "and" in the sentence is a conjunction between two ideas. It can be interpreted as two different or two similar ideas depending on your point of view.

I guess whenever someone has said "SOF" around me, it's always been refering to SOF as a whole.

Fair enough. Understand however that we already have a FR, EOD and SEALs thread.

This thread was created because those groups were already represented and army ones were not. Furthermore, have a look through previous pages to determine trends of focus... there should be little confusion as to the focus of this thread.

I'm all for an Army thread considering I've been in for about two years now.

As for all the questions on what SF uses as far as gear; anything that works for that person. I know some guys that swear by MOLLE, others that prefer fixed vests or chest rigs. It just depends on what your mission is and how you are operating. If they're doing a low profile operation, they'll use local uniforms/clothing and gear. If they're operating in Vehicles, chest rigs worn high on the chest would be more appropriate. For CQB, they'll break out the body armor like the CAG guys in some of the pics. Dive teams prefer split chest rigs so a rebreather will fit comfortably on the chest and won't get in the way of the magazines.

As a side note, some guys swear by wearing a vest over the body armor for the simple reason that if they need to dump it, all their mission essentials won't go with it. API rounds burn through plates, so if you dump the armor, you can recover the vest and carry on.

But it say Army SF and SOF, like one refers to just Army and the other is more general. Must ask Catch22 what he means

Well.... I meant for the thread to be just Army but didn't want to limit it to just SF. So.... it got the SF & SOF title. I should've named it "Cool US Army Pics"

So..... Who gonna start the "AF SOF - TACP, PJ, EOD" mega thread?

I got pics to put in it