Army SF & SOF Pics

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's CAG's task? Is there even a group with that name, my acronym insticnt says "Combat Air Group" but I don't see a unit named that, I know there are Airforce folks that run CSAR and Combat Control, but sniping seems a bit of a reach.

anyone know what sniper rifle CAG is using?

at 0:24, 0:48 and 1:50

Although you only get a glance at the rifle being used at the aforementioned times in the training vid it looks to be a Mk 12 Mod 1, as there appears to be full length RIS rails along the side of the handguard (whereas the Mk 12 Mod 0 has shorter RIS rails on the sides of the handguard and is/was favoured by Army SF). The Mod 1 is/was the NSW version. I could have got the models mixed up though as I seem to get these two confused at times.

Most of the current stuff I've been seeing, or reading, indicates that they're bring supported by sniper units. That would mean that Devgru or Rangers would have an overwatch or security. Also, in Afganistan at least, they operate in such small groups that having a sniper and spotter would be harder to manage, I'd imagine. I could be 100% wrong too...

Most of the current stuff I've been seeing, or reading, indicates that they're bring supported by sniper units. That would mean that Devgru or Rangers would have an overwatch or security. Also, in Afganistan at least, they operate in such small groups that having a sniper and spotter would be harder to manage, I'd imagine. I could be 100% wrong too...

The DevGru/Ranger support would make sense, given that since 2001 the US has shown a greater willingness to form Combined Joint Special Operations Task Forces (CJSOTF) in order to draw together various SF/SOF personnel to undertake the War on Terror. I mean, it's not that unusual for CAG and the Rangers to work together - Gothic Serpent demonstrated what could be considered the embryonic idea of CJSOTF. In fact, thinking about it this it is even truer; after all AFSOC and NSW elements were assigned to the Task Force as well.

IIRC - Chris Osman's book (as mentioned in the SEAL thread), specifically the bit about the SEAL snipers deployed to Fallujah, suggests that the sniper teams were being supported by one or more Army Rangers; something which might support this.

Whilst NSW and CAG have been more heavily called upon for their DA capabilities due to the intensity of the urban warfare being experienced in Iraq, I doubt that CAG would have completely allowed their sniper capabilities to fall by the wayside.

My experience was very short, I was just trying to show that there is alot of joint operations. But they were pretty bad *albatross* because the one dude was riding on the hood on the humvee. At least I thought it was cool, and they weren't wearing cammies, green pants t shirts ball caps.

No certain unit in particular, just a kit bash of what I have. My molle belt is empty at the moment except for an Dump. I do have the backplate on with a MAP and small GP pouch both in Khaki.

2.jpg

Need:

- PACA/LVAC

- Black Suspension For ACH

- Comtac II's

As for a sidearm, Currently I have an 226r with M6, is this ok. Or maybe (1911 Gi, 1911 MEU, M9??) need some insight on that.

I'm open to constructive criticism and more dirt, I know.

Cody

A stupid question...

CAG have some kind of loadout similar to SAS CRW?

I´m thinking to do an impression by this way. The basic kitlist i´ve think is:

- CWU 27 in black

- BHI UAV

- PT-1 BA

- UMP .45 or maybe MP5 or 416 with 10" barrel

- .45 1911

Don´t be hard with me dudes! :lol::lol:

No certain unit in particular, just a kit bash of what I have.

As for a sidearm, Currently I have an 226r with M6, is this ok. Or maybe (1911 Gi, 1911 MEU, M9??) need some insight on that.

First off, I'd say to nail down exactly who you want to portray i.e. SEALs, SF etc. Once that's sorted then the choice of secondary should be easier to decide upon based on available reference pics.

SEALs are using the SIG P226 (some pics even suggest NSW have Glocks), whereas SF tend to use the M9 (although I've pics of 10th Group using Glocks). The 1911 is, or was more of a CAG choice; however that's not to say that SF haven't used it at some stage either. CAG have also been rumoured to be using Glocks as well. As for the MEU, aside from the Marines, I've not heard or seen anything to suggest that someone is also using it.

Based on the SureFire HL1, 14.5" barrelled M4 and your choice of Comtac II's I say that you were leaning more towards an SF impression; as the majority of reference pics I have show more or less the same kit be used. Having said that though, I do believe that there may be the odd pic out there of SEALs using Comtacs so given the fact that you already own a P226 I'd maybe stick with a SEAL impression.

Hope this helps a little.

I defiantly want to stay away from a Seal Load out, there pretty picky about that here. I had a pic a while back that inspired this load out, it was Army Special Forces, in the A-Stan Mountains, the good ole black polartec fleece top with BDU Bottoms. As for the Mk18 RAS, My other gun is on the work bench, just your bog standard M4 with: PeQ-15, ACOG, KAC QD and Crane Stock that Will replace the Mk18 RAS for this load out.

I'm still in the air about an sidearm, Ill see what others input is..