Paintball Heashot

sniper_boi

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this kind of thing should be showed to the public more often. Everyone knocks airsoft for getting kids shot, but look at paintball. Not 1, not 2, but 3 friends of mine have gotten concussions or in one case went into a coma because of a paintball to the uncovered head. I have no doubt in my mind that a paintball on a colder day could easily kill you.

I think this kind of thing should be showed to the public more often. Everyone knocks airsoft for getting kids shot, but look at paintball. Not 1, not 2, but 3 friends of mine have gotten concussions or in one case went into a coma because of a paintball to the uncovered head. I have no doubt in my mind that a paintball on a colder day could easily kill you.

because oil bases freezes?

Edit: I take that back ORH

I have no doubt in my mind that a paintball on a colder day could easily kill you.

because oil bases freezes?

They do freeze. Paintball in the winter is a painful sport. And, as per (some) rules you don't need to take the hit unless the ball broke on you... there's going to be lots of hits.

Paintball guns do bear a lethal potential. The muzzle energy is typically around 10-15 joules (an airsoft gun at 328 fps w. 0.2 grams is 1 joule for comparison), and the energy is restricted by rules. They could easily be turned much higher depending on the model, and nothing physically prevents you from using other ammo besides those soft gelatine filled spheres.

-Sale

Half-dollar sized bruises (bruises, not whelts), $90 for a box of 5000 rounds, bad attitudes, and masochists. That's why I don't like paintball.

There's also the neon uniforms, "markers", "hoppers", and not being able to aim worth a damn.

Thanks sale, you said what I was planning to say. I constantly urge my friends who play paintball to come over to airsoft or play safer. They turn their guns up to 500+ FPS and play with only ski (!!!!) goggles on. It's not surprising that one of them ended up in a coma. I've actually submitted this to mythbusters that a paintball can be lethal under normal playing conditions, along with a number of calculations I made. The response I got was that it was a great myth to test, but I'd already proved it there with the numbers.

Hence, along with the plethora of other reasons, is why I play airsoft.

otherrandomhero you really need to work on that, things just seem to drag on when your involved.... like when a history teacher hits the good part of the discussion...then bores you of it with 1 extra word...

^_^

Depends where it hits.

If you are really unlucky, getting hit at the back of the roof of the mouth can kill you with a relatively low velocity.

As well as the temples, arteries, windpipe and base of the skull at the back of the head.

In HK, I once played Paintball - we use smaller 8mm paintballs here that break at the slightest touch (lots of bloody jamming) and a maximum of 10J, which is pretty weedy by PB standards.

Someone took one to the temple in a game and got a concussion.

Airsoft, people. It's much safer.

Could you disclose how many Joules it takes for a projectile strike to the head to knock you unconcious/coma/death?

As I recall the courts see anything over a foot pound as potentially damaging and in legalese that also means lethal (that is 1.35J or 377fps with a .2)

In the UK the legal power limits are: Air pistol - 6ftlb. Air rifle - 12ftlb.

I am not 100% but I remember a friend of mine telling me that the legal limit for a paintball marker in the UK is 20J which is just under 15ftlb and the equivalent of a bb going at 1471fps. As much energy as a kilo weight being dropped from a first floor window.

E=Mgh

20=1 x 9.81 x ?

? = 20/9.81 = a bit over 2 meters.

ouch.

The reason they are allowed to be that powerful is because the ammo bursts, absorbing some of the energy.

As has been mentioned before, they don't always burst.

If you get a "rubber" or the balls are frozen (I have experienced a paintballer who froze his deliberately and brought them to a game in a thermos - he met my friend pain <get some nuts, grrrrr>) then you are in trouble.

I have also had marbles fired at me by chavs with pb markers and my friend and I used to shoot malteasers at each other.

Paintball guns are bloody dangerous. We all know what happened to P.J. from Byker Grove.

The reason why paintballs are so expensive is because where I've played you're not allowed to bring your own ammo. The reason for this is because, as said above, people freeze them. This in turn is done because I believe paintballs are made of animal fat or something and therefore have a limited shelf life. Freezing solves this problem, but in turn can probably leave exit wounds :P

I agree with all the previous posts. Airsoft is so much better than paintball. The last thing you want is to get a concussion from a paintball that hasn't broken on impact, get told you're still in and get shot again...

That's REALLY stupid. Man I hate paintball, I tried playing it a few times and it was awful. I ended up getting shot by my own team mate from 10ft in the neck!! Ouch! I had a bruise for 2 weeks! The paint is disgusting and it gets everywhere, all over you. Oh, not to mention the "markers"...don't even get me started.. <_<

airsoft ftw.

i found paintballing fun when i went, i didnt get shot too much (despite being the president in a certain game...in other words i had a bright orange jacket). althgough now i think about it, a shot did dislocate my thumb in a speedball game.

but yes, airsoft is better. safer, full auto, non gravity feed, accurate... need i list any more?

Archived