Sales Area Sub Division Of Threads

Hi

I noticed that the sales area has been subdiveded into sections such as AEGs, Gear, accessories etc..

I just wanted to post a thought on this and how it would affect my own specific browsing (and so maybe others) and purchases (Though I havent had a lot).

I can see that the new way will make it easy to go straight to an AEG if say a person was looking for such an item. For me though, if im looking for something actually specific I tend to use the search function and so it wouldnt really make it any easier.

The one thing it would affect is browsing. I often look in to see what new things have come up in a kind of window-shopping way and I dint know what im looking for until something inspires my imagination. Having many sub-forums makes this a much more time-consuming job (forums are always slow for me, though a bit better lately) and so there is a fair chance I will miss things I may be interested in. Not too good for buyers and sellers alike.

I also wonder how someone would decide where to post when they have multiple items within a sale (as is often the case) which could lead to many many threads or just people missing sales/buys. (Or is that what the bulk-sales bit is for?)

I dont mean any disrespect to the opriginators of the changes but I know that it will make a difference to how I browse the sales forums and just wanted to make these points in case others had similar habits.

Best regards

Alex

I can't see how it puts sellers at a disadvantage really. Personally I always chose UKAN & ASCUK for selling things over Arnies purely because the subdivision into sections made it easier and clearer. I find it a lot better to, for example, look in the AEG accessories section for an mp5 mag, than have to go through 5 pages of shoelaces, dpm and other assorted ###### to stumble across one for sale.

I can't say I've ever used the search function to find stuff for sale myself, to me that would seem more time consuming and effort driven than just browsing at leisure through the relevant sale section. I guess there are always differences of opinion, but for me the subdivision is a step in the right direction & one which I had been hoping would happen for ages over on these forums :)

Yeah stop whinning dude its 100x better this way, and if you have multi items to sell, try the BULK section :rolleyes:

The search button hardly ever worked for me any way, it would bring up 100's of thing completely unrelated and 2-3 years old.

Thanks for doing this arnie or what ever admin done it, as i say its much better like this :D

I can't see how it puts sellers at a disadvantage really. Personally I always chose UKAN & ASCUK for selling things over Arnies purely because the subdivision into sections made it easier and clearer.

Lets be honest now, most people like the subdividing section, but the reason that most people would choose ascuk over here is for the rip-off potential awarded to you by not having to state an asking price, only one of their many sales-related *fruitcage*-ups if ask me.

-------

And about sales of mass items, I too believe that the bulk section just aint good enough.. it just doesnt get anywhere near the same attention as the gbb/aeg sections, and is mostly filled with gear threads, meaning not so many people are going to see whatever amazing guns you're trying to sell.

You could always split up your thread, but then that's just taking up more bandwidth ;)

TBH, I think the reverse is true.

I often found it takes longer to browse through the pages of Arnies sales threads if they are filled with page after page of m16 replicas for sale.

Surely there aren't many people who think "I have £200 to spend now let's see what's out there!?"?

Most people MUST think "I need a new vest" or "I need a shotty for CQB", right?

Beyond that, I really can't see how splitting up the forums makes browsing slower.

Looking at 200 items on 3 forums takes as long as on one forum. The only difference is the 2 page refreshes it takes to move from 1 section to the other.

Even if you think this is unacceptable, once you decide to look further back than the first page, you still end up having to refresh the pages.

What's the problem?

It's all very well saying "I use the search function if I'm looking for a specific item" but that doesn't always give you the whole picture.

Maybe you're looking for a 1911 pistol so you type "1911" into the search box.

You're immediately missing out on any hicapas, P14.45s, SVIs and M945s that are available.

Of course, you could say "Well, in that case I'd do another search for the other items" but then you're back in the position where your searching is going to take as long, or longer, than simply browsing the relavent forum.

I think this is going to help alot, I always know what I'm looking for, and only very occasionally browse leisurely, but I like to know what I'll be browsing either way, it makes me wrathful when I want an assault vest, but around the ad for the assault vest there are half a dozen armalites being sold, separating it out makes it much easier to find what I'm after, it also beats the search function because if I'm looking for a pistol of some sort, and I have a few ideas of what I want, I can look for those few ideas, without having to do several searches...

it should also mean sale thread stay on the front page longer.

if i put an AEG mag up for sale for instance, theres only a certain type of thread that can bump it down the list. it cant be bumped down by gun sales, gear sales, GBB sales etc, so in theory should last a bit longer on the frotn page.

...but the reason that most people would choose ascuk over here is for the rip-off potential awarded to you by not having to state an asking price...
True for some I guess. I tend to be put off buying from people who don't post prices purely for that reason though, and if the price isn't up purely out of laziness for not knowing the value of the items in question, I wouldn't want to deal with that person anyway :P

My post was only intended to put forward one view point in the event it had not been considered. Im totally okay with the fact that the majority of members it seems preffers it this new way and thats okay.

I wasnt "Whinning" or have a "problem" with anything I was simply stating one viewpoint that others may or may not have agreed with, end of story.

I was thinking the exact same as bobspoons and agree with him, mostly. From my point of view I usually don't look for anything specific so I basically have a quick look through to see whats on sale. However as Stealth said the majority of people do have something specific in mind so I suppose it's ok.

Edited by Graeme
Lets be honest now, most people like the subdividing section, but the reason that most people would choose ascuk over here is for the rip-off potential awarded to you by not having to state an asking price, only one of their many sales-related *fruitcage*-ups if ask me.

i agree that not having to state an asking price was anoying.

but i always found my items sold alot quicker over there than here, maybe because they were in the correct sections and not 5 pages deep.

I was just noticing that the subforum titles don't have (UK) or (US) on them. I realize also that at the moment there is no US which is done in that way, but if it becomes that way (which I hope it does), then it would be helpful for browsing if you just "view new posts", as I do. It's a small thing, but I think it'd be worth it.

I don't like the subdivisions. I find having subdivisions makes browsing and selling more tedious due to the extra sections. There are other forums that use such a system and I find I don't browse their classifieds as often as other forums that don't do it.

As a seller, I like that I can just make one ad and list all the stuff I currently have for sale. As a buyer, I like that I can quickly scan one section to browse all sales, and look at one ad to view a seller's whole inventory of current sale items. If I were looking for something specific, I could just use the search feature or scan the sale ad titles. But that's not to say I would mind buying an item I wasn't specifically looking for. In fact, I often buy such items because there are some deals that are just too good to pass up, and I'd hate to think I missed the opportunities because I wasn't looking at the categories for items I didn't specifically need.

I don't like the subdivisions. I find having subdivisions makes browsing and selling more tedious due to the extra sections. There are other forums that use such a system and I find I don't browse their classifieds as often as other forums that don't do it.

As a seller, I like that I can just make one ad and list all the stuff I currently have for sale. As a buyer, I like that I can quickly scan one section to browse all sales, and look at one ad to view a seller's whole inventory of current sale items. If I were looking for something specific, I could just use the search feature or scan the sale ad titles. But that's not to say I would mind buying an item I wasn't specifically looking for. In fact, I often buy such items because there are some deals that are just too good to pass up, and I'd hate to think I missed the opportunities because I wasn't looking at the categories for items I didn't specifically need.

There is nothing stopping you browsing all of them.

It really wont take any longer to browse 2 pages in 5 sections than to browse 10 pages in 1 section will it?

There is nothing stopping you browsing all of them.

It really wont take any longer to browse 2 pages in 5 sections than to browse 10 pages in 1 section will it?

I dont want to start a debate about it and am only posting this thought as a way of trying to possibly explain the persons viewpoint, thats all. Im happy to go with the obvious majority on the issue of having the divisions.

I know for myself, for some reason (no offence meant Arnie) this site is very very slow for me when opening threads/pages and refreshing them (despite receiving 4mb of an up-to 8mb connection). The time to open each thread, browse, click back, wait for refresh, open next thread etc.. does put me off browsing whereas opening the old single thread was not too bad. Its purely a laziness thing / lack of time for me. The single thread combined most of the new posts in one whereas with the seperate threads maybe only the top few posts might be new each time I visit.

Id also add that I dont like going in for opening new threads in new windows to download a few at once to avoid the opening/refreshing issue as I know it puts additional strain on the server.

I know someone above suggested a "view-new-posts" method which sounds great and even thought Ive not tried it, it sounds like the perfect solution. It means folks such as myself can see only new stuff in one go while others can use the sub-divisions. A winner all-round :)

Anyways, all the best

Alex

Just a thought on the issue, more a question really.

If I click the view-new-posts function is there a way I can restrict this to a forum or sub-forum, eg the sales area.

When I click it at the moment it covers the whole site so I have pages after pages, each of which take ages to refresh and so Ive found that It takes too long.

If theres a way to view-new-posts-within-sales-forum Id be really grateful to know it as that would solve my problem perfectly.

Thanks a lot

Alex

one thing i have noticed is people seem to still be posting in the old area below the divisions. when are those being locked? because its annoying having two seperate sections to search through, and i have doubt its hindering sales

Generally if I notice any new threads being posted I'll move them to the relevant sections. To avoid confusion for threads which were in existence prior to the subsections, I'm leaving these in their existing place. Fingers crossed it should be these with new posts only - if you see an entirely new thread, please report it so that it can be moved.

I don't know if I'm in a minority, but I find the new system to be like the Krankies: just really irritating. I can't see that enough threads are being created to need such a system, so it just takes longer to go through all the subforums to see what's new.

:zorro:

That was part of what I thought really Sledge. Ive found now that Im not having a speculative look quite as often any more.

I think most people have been really wanting this sub-division though so I think we are in the minority.

Id prefer it to be best for me :D but I can understand it has to be best for the forum.

Alex