Crye Precision Armor Chassis

Agent47

• 3 weeks later...

I know the reps over at Crye pretty well. I've spoken to Crye in the past regarding the Armor Chassis. They are VERY adamant that this will never be available to the public. Only LEOs and Military personel.

They also have a hard enough time filling all the orders for those in the USA, which as far as they're concerned take top priority, hence it being almost impossible for those located outside of the US, to buy anything direct from Crye.

You'd think they'd try and expand their manufacturing capabilities considering the demand.

I guess they are keeping it small to ensure high prices with low cost.

According to the Crye rep, they don't want to give up the rights to the pattern as that's where a lot of the money is. Which is within their right... it is their intellectual property afterall. I did not get the impression that they're deliberately trying to keep their products high priced, it just costs more because they're a small private company that has limited resources. The cost of production on their end is reflected in the price of their product. Production costs being what they are, if they were to sell it for less, their profit margins would suffer considerably. Also, it's not like they're having financial troubles... They're a full time production and they can barely keep enough product on the shelves for US public consumption. Also, they are trying to meet buyer demand as they moved to a new facility several months ago.

Personally, I don't buy Multicam because it's considered "Gucci" or whatever people call it... I buy it because it's the best camo for the environment I play in.

I know the reps over at Crye pretty well. I've spoken to Crye in the past regarding the Armor Chassis.  They are VERY adamant that this will never be available to the public.  Only LEOs and Military personel.

They also have a hard enough time filling all the orders for those in the USA, which as far as they're concerned take top priority, hence it being almost impossible for those located outside of the US, to buy anything direct from Crye.

Figures about the unavailability to the public - the chassis itself is years ahead of our time, almost any country would like to reproduce that thing.

From the wannabe forums the individual in question has been 98% confirmed as one of the owners of the Toy Soldier corporation, the one that made the replica IBH helmet some of you SEAL geardos are wearing. Considering the fact that Toy Soldier also makes the 1/6 action figures of military personnel with accurate gear, and considering the fact that there is a 1/6 scale GRAW Scott Mitchell action figure in existence (check ghostrecon.net), the possibility is that Crye knows this guy is an action figure maker and may have given him the chassis for him to create an appropriate scaled model, or maybe this guy actually knows a merc.

Either way, only way one of us can get our hands on this thing is to use a middleman...hey, I can dream you know.

the possibility is that Crye knows this guy is an action figure maker and may have given him the chassis for him to create an appropriate scaled model, or maybe this guy actually knows a merc.

I think it's more likely that he has a connection with a someone in Military, or LE. I get the impression from most RS manufacturers that they really don't care for "toys", be it 1:1 scale replicas, or action figures. As far as they're concerned, if you want accuracy, you buy direct from them!

According to the Crye rep, they don't want to give up the rights to the pattern as that's where a lot of the money is.  Which is within their right... it is their intellectual property afterall.  I did not get the impression that they're deliberately trying to keep their products high priced, it just costs more because they're a small private company that has limited resources.  The cost of production on their end is reflected in the price of their product. Production costs being what they are, if they were to sell it for less, their profit margins would suffer considerably.  Also, it's not like they're having financial troubles... They're a full time production and they can barely keep enough product on the shelves for US public consumption.  Also, they are trying to meet buyer demand as they moved to a new facility several months ago.

I think you misunderstood me there.

They are obviously making a good profit and there is very high demand for their product (as you said). Normal business practice in that situation would be to expand production capabilities as much as possible: you have surplus capital and a guaranteed market. In this case they not developing to meet demand in such an aggressive way, this tactic has its own advantages but will mean your product is always going to have low availability. I never suggested they should give up their IP rights and I think that would probably be the worst thing they could do right now.

I think you misunderstood me there.

I understood. :) Hence my comment that they've recently moved to a bigger facility in order to help meet demand... even though it still might not be on the scale we'd all like to see it be. ;)

My earlier comment was more related to all those (of which there are many) that blast Crye for not selling the BDUs at the same price range as that of say, ACUs or any other off the shelf camo BDU. Just because the majority of airsofters (not you, but like I've said there are many others) feel like Crye gear is way too expensive and that Crye should sell it for less than half it's current price, well that's a moot point. Any manufacturer will sell their product for what they believe it's worth or at least what they envision the market would bare. If they were hurting that bad financially they would either have to slash their prices considerably, change the product so that it's less expensive to make, or bail out of the business altogether. The fact is, they're financially doing very well, so much so, that their prices don't appear to be going down anytime soon. The impression I've always got from them, is that their primary concern is outfitting consumers who would be using the product in real world (i.e. not mil-Sim) situations. Especially Americans, as they themselves are an American company. So all the b!tching and whining airsofters do (again, not directed at you, seriously) kinda falls on deaf ears. We'd all like things to cost less. This isn't a cheap hobby to start with. Sometimes things just cost what they do.

Also, one thing that a lot of people may not realize is that even though it appears that a very limited quantity is made available on their website, that is simply the quantity that is made available to individual consumers. They spend most of their resources and energy towards filling large volume contracts. What appears on the Crye website is the limited amount they've produced purely for individual buyers and any excess run off from the larger contracts they make.

• 3 months later...

here is my take on what some say is the ultimate armored vest.

cryeyx1.th.jpg

this is obviously homemade, but pretty close to an identical crye design

not shore if black was the best complement color but its what i had to work with

the camo pattern is a subdued urban digital i use for MOUT/CQB ops

its not finished yet still have to make the hard insert plates and plate shoulder, as well as the shoulder stops.

i have about 60 dollars invested in all the gear shone and about a 20 hours of time.

most of the research for this was found at military morons site under the crye tab (lots of good pictures) and since the PALS grid is a universal size measurements were easy to figure out.

by the sounds of things if your not going to make one your not going to get one

the one pictured on the first post here looks very real. i have only seen 2 others. one from Canada and one from Philippines and they are both homemade copy's.

i have seen a picture of an acuall crye vest in acu it was in a armed forces PDF magazine.

anyway here is the point:

when i finish this. the creation process, materials used, and yes the patterns will all be freely available on my web sight, no worrys i will post the link to it here on arnies for information purposes. (ie building your own)

it will also have the artisent helmet on there as well as every thing else i build.

(thanks to dragon skin i now know what i'm going to do with all my old poker chips)

but that project is on hold till my multi cam fabric shows up.

sorry for all the rabbling but contact me if you have any questions.

billiambush@hotmail.com

I know someone who makes a dam good copy he wants a lot though i will get him to make me one after ground zero

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...3entry1472373

Everything of mine is real crye, only thing is my vest, its a HGSG mad bull one it sucks i want a real crye, the above guy charges $400 though

I know the reps over at Crye pretty well. I've spoken to Crye in the past regarding the Armor Chassis.  They are VERY adamant that this will never be available to the public.  Only LEOs and Military personel.

They must be a rinky dink operation if everytime they get a decent sized order they're pretty much unable to produce anything outside of it for years on end.

I understand that Military and LEO sales take priority, but what I don't understand is why they seem to be shut down for months on end to fill those orders. I mean how large have those orders been? A few hundred for the Future Combat Systems Demostration Unit, the actors in Transformers, and maybe a few LEO sales outside of that really isn't the world is it?

I am glad they have licensed out their pattern to others, but I wish they would do the same for a non-ballistic airsoft version of their Chassis.

They must be a rinky dink operation if everytime they get a decent sized order they're pretty much unable to produce anything outside of it for years on end.

I understand that Military and LEO sales take priority, but what I don't understand is why they seem to be shut down for months on end to fill those orders.  I mean how large have those orders been? A few hundred for the Future Combat Systems Demostration Unit, the actors in Transformers, and maybe a few LEO sales outside of that really isn't the world is it?

This has been rehashed over and over and over and over again. The public simply does not know the numbers and the degree of wide spread use Multicam receives. They may only be used by a handful of individuals as you and others have suggested, on the other hand, they may be used in larger quantities than any of us can guess. Just because it's not featured all over the interweb... doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And the costumes made for transformers were custom/tailor made to the actors' specs. All Chassis' were returned to Crye Precision at the completion of the live action shoot. Still, there is no denying that Crye Precision is not a company on a scale large enough to handle a plethora of both Military contracts and the demand of the Public Consumers. Perhaps they simply don't want to overextend themselves without full military support, which they won't know about until 2010.

I am glad they have licensed out their pattern to others, but I wish they would do the same for a non-ballistic airsoft version of their Chassis.

AFAIK, that will never happen. It would be nice, and I'd buy one for sure regardless of cost, but they simply have zero interest in it (regardless of whether or not that makes sense to the rest of the consumer world). It is entirely possible that they may feel that the proliferation of Multicam in the Airsoft world may diminish the interest in it within the RS world (who are their primary target consumer group).

A few hundred for the Future Combat Systems Demostration Unit, the actors in Transformers, and maybe a few LEO sales outside of that really isn't the world is it?

Crye only supplied two sets of multicam for the movie. Matt out of Washington supplied the rest and the props departmewnt modified them to add the knee and elbow pads. Even the Crye vest used in future weapons episode were not Crye, but were made by TT.

This info is from the source as I am good friends with Matt (will not disclose last name) and directly from TT as I play with many of the guys that work there.

Crye only supplied two sets of multicam for the movie.  Matt out of Washington supplied the rest and the props departmewnt modified them to add the knee and elbow pads.  Even the Crye vest used in future weapons episode were not Crye, but were made by TT. 

This info is from the source as I am good friends with Matt (will not disclose last name) and directly from TT as I play with many of the guys that work there.

Can you ask him where did the Multicam headwrap cometh from in TRANSFROMERS ?

RE: Crye,

Not only are they not interested in making their armor chasis widely available, they are specifically concerned that knock-off versions be made in violation of either Multicam patent or the chasis patent iteself.

Archived