MadBulls Gemtech Talon and Trinty System

MadBull Gemtech Talon System & Trinity Silencer Review.

trinitytalonzd1.jpg

This is the third and final installment in the MADBULL’s licensed GemTech product series; if you missed the previous two you can read them here:

Gemtech G5 Review Gemtech HALO Review

Now as this is the last review in the series, (right now there are no new Gemtech products by MadBull on the market or in the process of being released) I would like to take the time to thank Simon and his team for supplying these products for review and for waiting patiently while I find time to review them.

This review is a little special as it doesn’t just cover the Trinity Silencer but also the Talon rail system as well, so for the price of the system $150.00 USD you’ll get a silencer set and a RAS enabling you to have two variations.

Here is some information on the real steal GemTech Talon and Trinity system:

The TRINITY has become a commercial favorite for its ability to adapt easily to various host firearms. You can switch the modular adapters to make your Trinity a 3-lug fast attach suppressor for 9mm carbines such as the MP5 or UZI. You can swap mounts and use our L.I.D. (Linear Inertial Decoupler) recoil device for flawless cycling on many hard-to-function handguns including Glock 9mms. Installing a simple thread-mount rear makes for the shortest package with Beretta 92s, fixed barrel 9mm pistols and carbines, and even in a pinch on .22lr firearms. Available threads are 1/2-28 and M13.5x1-(LH). The TRINITY removable rear allows ease of cleaning the blast baffle and entrance chamber!

There is even our TALON – an entire 9mm barreled AR15/M16 upper that the suppressor module threads into, shielding it under a rock-solid modular Picatinny rail system for use on a compact short barreled rifle or submachine gun.

The TRINITY is a dry suppressor, but can also be used with a small amount of coolant for maximum flash and sound reduction. Its light weight and small size makes for a pleasant, accurate shooting experience as compared to nose-heavy suppressors.

Physical Specifications:

Caliber 9mm

Overall Length 6.5 inch (168 mm)

Diameter 1.25 inch (31 mm)

Weight 5.6 ounces (160 gm)

Construction Materials Aircraft Grade Aluminum

Standard Finish Matte Black Anodize

Now as a regular skirmisher I have been interested in a M4 variant designed specifically for CQB environments, the Patriot style M4’s haven’t really done anything for me so I have continued to use MP5’s and UMP’s for that role. So when MadBull announced that they had released a licensed version of the TALON system with Trinity I was very interested to see if this could fulfill the role of a primary CQB weapon.

Having spoken to the team at MadBull they informed me that the Airsoft version is 100% 1:1 to the real steal version so holding that in mind I proceeded to get stuck in.

Packaging.

The Talon System comes in the standard MadBull boxing with the product image attached to the top for identification, now although some of you out there aren’t really interested in the packaging I must say that the box is very sturdy and doesn’t waste space cutting down on shipping costs.

externalboxmediumzs9.jpg

(The reason why the box looks a little beaten up is because Japanese Customs had to inspect the item before delivery)

Upon opening the box you are presented with the BIOSE ID card and the instruction pamphlet explaining how to assemble your Talon and trinity System. Lifting these out the box is then separated in to two separate boxes, each of them about the same size as what the GemTech G5 and HALO came in. Now I was really impressed with the packaging of this product from the start and you could tell that MadBull wanted you to get this product in the best condition possible.

internalboxmediumvk4.jpg

The top box contains all the fixing mounts, screws, rails and Trinity Silencer, while the bottom box contained the lower and upper parts of the RAS, outer barrel and silencer attachment all individually wrapped in bubble wrap of sealed in bags.

everythingyougetmediumhl0.jpg

The Talon RAS Kit

The Talon RAS system is separated into an upper and lower frame, the top being clearly labeled with “TOP”. Now for Airsoft that’s not really essential as we have no Gas Tube running through the RAS but it’s just another 1:1 detail that we are beginning to expect in MADBULL’s product range. The kit also comes with fore grip mounts and also 20mm rails that attach to the frames and enable the user to pretty much place grips and rails anywhere that they want them to be.

raskitmediumbn8.jpg

The Trinity Silencer

Now before I start on the silencer there are a few things you guys need to know, first off MadBull has made two types of the HALO Silencer, the Non-US version which actually has silencing capabilities due to the high compact foam inside it, and the US version that is a solid aluminum tube.

Now the reason for the difference is because unregistered silencers are totally illegal in US, importing one will get you into a whole lot of trouble with the authorities as these are restricted items by the ATF.

M30) Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers NFA firearms?

The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax. See Questions M15 and 16 for application details.

If I have any further questions as to the classification of a paintball or airgun silencer, who should I contact?

Please send a written request to ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a), 27 CFR 479.11]

This review is on the Non-US version that actually has silencing capabilities.

The silencer comes with three pieces in the kit, Outer Barrel, locking nut/Silencer mount and Trinity Silencer. Each piece being made to interact with the other and to the highest quality standards.

silencerkitmediumgv0.jpg

Now assembling the Trinity to the gun is a walk in the park if you are still using a plastic bodied gun, but if like me you are using a metal body you will need to remove the paint from the upper receiver mount where the barrel nut locks into position. This is because the Talon is made to exactly the same specs as the real version so it’s a tight fit on Airsoft version. I used a Dremel to sand off the paint and a slight layer of the aluminum then applying some Silicon lubricant attached the outer barrel.

outerbarrelmediummp4.jpg

I then locked it into place with the nut/Silencer mount. I found by screwing the lock down and the removing it again loosened up the threads making it easier to attach the unit.

silencerattachmentmediuvu7.jpg

Once this is on you’re ready to attach the Trinity Silencer, which screws easily into place on the locking nut/mount.

completebarrelassembledqr2.jpg

The material used in the Trinity Silencer is the same along the whole range of Gemtech products and is a compacted fabric stamped into disks. These are then spaced along the length of the silencer and have proved to be very effective at sound suppression, In the GemTech HALO review it suppressed the sound by about 10dB, we will see later if the shorter barrel length and Trinity Silencer make any difference to the results.

p3251791mediumrp6.jpg

Assembly

Assembling the Talon RAS on to the Trinity system is a piece of cake, just slide attach the top and bottom halves of the RAS loosely using the provided hex bolts and then slide over the top of the trinity system.

mountedtotrinitymediumho1.jpg

fixingmediumaz2.jpg

profileviewmediumoq1.jpg

Once the RAS is securely fastened your ready to put all the rails and mounts exactly where you want them. As you can see you can have a lot of fun putting things exactly where you want them and with 8 faces on the RAS to place things it can be tricky to come to a final decision to where they go.

placementmediumaq7.jpg

One of the best rails is this off set mount, any players using a laser as an aiming device will love this as it can place the laser right up by other aiming dives without it blocking their field of vision, while also enabling the user to adjust the laser perfectly to co-inside with that device or backup iron sights. MadBull actually have made a extra set available through stockist for players who want to really build a truly personal fitting weapon.

offcentremountmediumrr8.jpg

lasermediumer3.jpg

The other nice touch to the MadBull Talon System is that you don’t have to use the Trinity Silencer that come with it, as the RAS can be mounted on any M4/M16 variant by locking over the delta ring, now players with Tokyo Marui’s will need to purchase a Classic Army Delta ring due to the fact that the Talon is designed exactly like the real steel version.

15b1d5cc2df34c66087e4f6jb5.jpg

Quality Score: 10/10

Built to 1:1 spec of the real Talon System and Trinity Silencer, excellent finish with unique serial nubers and plenty of extra bolts and screws. Easy to assembly.

Field Report

Like the previous review I wanted to actually test if this kit does provide the player with suppressing capabilities. I’m going to be using an YFE sound level meter again that I used in he last review, for those not familiar with it or haven’t read the previous review the YFE sound level meter is used by both the Japanese police and also the environmental dept. here in Japan.

yfesoundlevelmetermediurl6.jpg

Now, please note that this weapon has had a custom cut Black Python barrel fitted, which is actually only 13cm long, that’s a little longer than a KSC USP .45 barrel. Also the gear box is a non modified Tokyo Marui M4A1 gear box. Just so you can see just how short the barrel is here is my KSC USP.45 Auto next to the chopped down M4 barrel. I used a rotary tool and a cutting disk to cut the barrel down. I then used a diamond file to remove all the burring from inside and outside the barrel.

comparisondp0.jpg

Test 1:

This test was conducted using SIIS .20g BB’s with the silencer attached and firing in Semi-Auto mode. The gear box has not been modified in any way. All reading was taken in the units “High” mode, which are shown in red. Please click on the image to view the video.

silencedtestingwincewa7.jpg

As you can see from the video the average reading was about 90 dB with the silencer.

Test 2:

This test was conducted using SIIS .20g BB’s with the silencer attached and firing in Full-Auto mode. The gear box has not been modified in any way. All reading was taken in the units “High” mode, which are shown in red. Please click on the image to view the video.

silencedfullautopf0.jpg

As you can see from the video the average reading was about 102 dB in full-full auto with the silencer.

Test 3:

This test was conducted using SIIS .20g BB’s without the silencer attached and firing in Semi-Auto mode. The gear box has not been modified in any way. All reading was taken in the units “High” mode, which are shown in red. Please click on the image to view the video.

semiautononsilencedit7.jpg

As you can see from the video the average reading was about 92 dB without the silencer.

Test 4:

This test was conducted using SIIS .20g BB’s without the silencer attached and firing in Semi-Auto mode. The gear box has not been modified in any way. All reading was taken in the units “High” mode, which are shown in red. Please click on the image to view the video.

fullautononsilencedsb0.jpg

As you can see from the video the average reading was about 108 dB without the silencer.

Now although the scores aren’t too dissimilar, I decided to test my standard M4A1, in Semi-auto mode the meter read 110 dB whiles in Full-Auto I got a reading of 114 dB, My conclusion is that the majority of the noise is made by the gear box and not the muzzle report. I did conclude though that the Talon and Trinity silencer alter the signature and tone of the report, making it much harder for the listener to determine where the noise came from.

Sound Suppression Score: 7/10

Not so as good at lowering the muzzle report, but due to the barrel length it was to be expected, extra points though for changing the tone of the gun and making a flatter sound thus inhibiting the enemy from detecting where the shot was fired from.

Skirmish Report

The Talon is designed to be used in a CQB environment, so BadSailor and I headed down to All Stars skirmish field where some CQB action would definitely take place either in the Elephant grass or when clearing the bus located in the middle of the field.

Now one of the awesome features of the Talon and the setup I’m using is that it is very ergonomic allowing easier carriage of the weapon when moving as well as allowing faster target acquisition in confined areas, having the battery in the stock also balances the gun out perfectly so I would recommend against an external battery pack attached to the front of the weapon.

twinvj3.jpg

Elephant Grass

One of the biggest challenges I face out here in Japan is clearing elephant grass once we have cleared an area and need to make sure our rear is secure, normally a loud muzzle report will tell other opposition your location as your team sweeps through the area resulting in your team losing a few players to CQB engagements, where the enemy knows your location and you are unsure. Anyone having played in 6 feet high grass will be able to vouch to the fact that you don’t see your target until you are basically on top of them, so the weapon that can be brought to bear the fastest will normally result in the owner’s survival. Yesterday proved this point having come across a sniper with an M14 hiding in the grass ready to pick off our players from the rear.

Also the TALON is excellent when it comes to suppression of the muzzle report, other members of the unit I was in reported that although they could hear BadSailor and I clearing up they couldn’t locate where the sound actually was coming from, and they were only standing 3 meters away from us in the grass, this definitely gave us an edge when sweeping up stragglers as we were able to move onto them without drawing attention due to unnecessary noise from our weapons.

The Bus

I hate the bus! it’s normally packed with snipers or people with support weapons who poke their weapons through the blacked out windows or broken glass to pick off the advancing team, resulting in either a Mexican standoff or a massacre of the attacking team as they try to navigate around it. So the only real option is to storm it. Fortunately the front entrance to the bus is in a blind spot allowing 2 or 3 players to get up to it without being seen, anymore will result in there not being another cover, so we had to be quick and get in the bus before the occupants realised we were on to them and react accordingly.

BadSailor was on the bus first, and the guy can move alarmingly fast, positioning himself into the drivers seat he opened up on the occupants allowing me to move up one aisle opposite him and the guy behind me to stand in the walkway, We eliminated 4 of the occupants who annoying worked as human shields for the brief second it took the remaining occupants to either take cover or bail out of the bus, resulting in a gun battle between the chairs of the coach.

Now this is where the TALON system comes into its element to do the job it was born to do. With limited space within the bus and behind the chairs, full length rifles or assault weapons are a hindrance, the smart ones ditched them and un-holstered sidearm’s to engage us. Those without were easily picked off as they had to really lean out or stand up to bring them to bear, while the side arms were not able to compete with the fully automatic fire or the magazine capacity that the Talon’s were packing.

Skirmish Review Conclusion

I have a lot of CQB type weapons in my collection, MP5’s, MP7’s, UMP’s as well as other folding stock variants of M4’s but I have to say the TALON and the configuration both BadSailor and myself are using is ideal for all types of CQB warfare as well as allowing engagement of the enemy at a distance. The sound suppression is excellent which really gives you an edge in built up areas in urban environments as well as in Jungle or dense woodland where LOS is limited.

p3031666mediumfn3.jpg

Needless to say the MadBull Gemtech Talon system is 1:1 in likeness to its real steel cousin which was born and bred for this type of engagement conditions so it was only natural that the airsoft variant would hold true to its heritage!

It is now on the wish list for pretty much of the members of Team Setsuna and others who saw it and fired it on the test range between games.

Skirmish Score: 10/10 (It just can’t be faulted!)

Conclusion

Out of all the reviews I have done on the GemTech licensed accessories by MadBull, I would have to say that the Talon and Trinity system is without a doubt the best of the bunch, although due to the barrel length the silencing capabilities aren’t on par with the HALO or G5 the overall finish and uniqueness of this product really makes it stand out from the crowd. On the skirmish field it really does shine in CQB situations and with the newly installed Shark Accelerator, also by MadBull the accuracy and range aren’t impeded by the length of the barrel.

At my local sites it turned a few heads and also won the hearts of my fellow team members and is now the standard rifle for the team when playing in CQB situations.

Final Score: 9/10

If you’re looking to silence this weapon even more I would suggest getting the Systema silenced piston head and cylinder head, while also giving the gears a liberal helping of grease and possibly a non vented cylinder. The design and feel of the Talon unit is awesome and it really does the real steel version proud holding true to its roots. If your looking for a CQB weapon that is not only practical but also has a real steel counter-part then this is the one!

I would like to thank Simon Lee and the team at MadBull Airsoft for supplying Arnies Airsoft with the GemTech range; I would also like to thank the Team at 1st Protocol whom managed to get me the CAR 9 adapter for this project.

p3031667mediumwt5.jpg

Maybe so, but the real steel Talon is a CAR9 M4 so when building this project gun i wanted it to be 100% accurate to the real steel.

The other thing is i wanted something unique, I see so many Armalites with this that and the other bolted to it, the CAR9 might be ugly but it stands out and is certainly unique.

I noticed that you mentioned that the new patriot kits that Madbull are producing fit onto an ICS M4, and I was wondering whether you knew if the Talon kit can also fit onto an ICS M4 or not?

Yes it can, to fit this kit on to a metal body I needed to sand some of the coating off both the Talon and the upper receiver where the delta ring engages, so fitting this on other brands will probably require the same sort of process.