• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Hickam's website:

5/19/2008 - HICKAM AIR FORCE BASE, Hawaii (AFPN) -- Joint terminal attack controllers--or JTACs--found a unique place to train for close-quarters battle: in one of Hickam's base housing areas.

JTACs are part of a tactical air control party (TACP) team. These battlefield Airmen live and work with Army ground units, and their main function is to coordinate air strikes in support of combat operations.

Soldiers don't knock politely before entering a suspected terrorist hideout; they kick the door down, clear the building's rooms for their own safety, and then assess the situation. The battlefield Airmen that fight alongside them need to know how to do these things the same way Soldiers do them.

Teamwork like that requires plenty of practice. JTACs are seeing a growing amount of urban combat downrange, so close-quarters battle training is incredibly valuable for them.

"At any time a JTAC can find himself at the company level--or even at the platoon level--on a clearing team, clearing through rooms while they're doing close air support in support of urban operations," said Tech. Sgt. Mark Kistler, a JTAC assigned to the 25th Air Support Operations Squadron at Wheeler Army Air Field.

That's why one of Hickam's old neighborhoods, currently scheduled for demolition, is so valuable to him and his teams. While abandoned buildings may not seem too useful to some, they're much better--and more realistic--than where the JTACs usually train.

"Normally we are limited to a range-type complex where they have all kinds of restrictions," said Sgt. Kistler. "You don't get the atmosphere of being in a real urban environment," he said.

"Here, we're able to come in to houses and apartment-style buildings like you might see over in theater and they can get real-life training dealing with stairways, dealing with objects that are inside, like bathrooms and kitchens, that you normally don't get to see so much in the urban training areas here in Hawaii," he said.

For the training, JTACs split into two opposing forces: an Aggressor Team and a Breach Team. Aggressors took cover inside the houses while the breach team planned their attack.

Younger JTACs like Airman James Aldridge, who is preparing to deploy for the first time later this year, appreciated the element of reality the housing units lent the exercise.

"Today's training was more urban, with cars driving by and people around," said Airman Aldridge. "In other exercises we're in remote locations, surrounded by vegetation and wildlife. It felt more realistic being able to breach through doors while reacting to realistic attacks," he said.

In a few months these homes will be torn down and replaced with new places for Hickam's Airmen and their families to live. But for one day they were urban battlefields, helping to better prepare Airmen to fight the war on terror.

"It's training that could save my life one day," said Airman Aldridge.

Hickam is home to many active duty units - mainly the 15th AW, but there's quite a few tenant units, as well.

Last I checked the AF doesn't have JTACs. We have dudes that do the same thing but not under that name. Hickem is all ANG now too according to my buddy that is stationed there.

I agree Kraut, stupid difference, but it seems like something written by the AF and for them to call their own people by the wrong name is puzzling.

SOF-JTAC.jpg

I think this picture kind of says otherwise...

Couple that with:

A qualified (certified) Service member who, from a forward position, directs the action of combat aircraft engaged in close air support and other offensive air operations. A qualified and current joint terminal attack controller will be recognized across the U.S. Department of Defense as capable and authorized to perform terminal attack control. Also called JTAC.

US Marine JTACs are trained at Expeditionary Warfare Training Group, Pacific (EWTGPAC), and Atlantic (EWTGLANT), Air Force students are taught at Nellis AFB, Nevada and Navy students at the Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center (NSAWC) at NAS Fallon, Nevada by SEALs assigned to NSAWC.

Forward Air Controllers or "JTAC's" are now also trained at Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany through the JFCOE (Joint Firepower Center Of Excellence).

The Royal Australian Air Force in 2006, became first foreign air force to receive Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC) accreditation from the United States Joint Forces Command (USJFCOM)[1].

Edited by tommyknocker2121

We've finally been issued our DF-LCS (Defensor Fortis Load Carriage System). As you can see, it's ACU - the Air Force will not be issuing combat gear in the ABU pattern:

PICT0001-1.jpg

Pretty much all Eagle Industries stuff, I probably would've picked different pouches, but hey, not my choice. Still haven't received first line yet. Once we do, stuff will get moved around again.

IBA pouches include:

2x 3xM16 mag

4x 2xM16 mag

2x single baseball grenade

3x single M9 mag

1x handcuff pouch

1x IFAK pouch

1x MBITR pouch (back)

2x 1L water bottle pouch (back)

1x hydro/Camelbak pouch (back)

The kit includes other pouches - baton, flashlight, etc., but I have no room for them until we get our first line belts.

080605-F-9963E-911.jpg

A nose for danger

Staff Sgt. Clifford Hartley and his military working dog, Cir, maneuver through urban terrain training June 5 at Naval Air Engineering Station Lakehurst, N.J. The course prepares security forces before deployment. Both are from the 437th Security Forces Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Paul Evans)

080617-F-9351O-149.jpg

Joint terminal attack controllers review map data using the MVRIII, or Mini Rover, while participating in Atlantic Strike VII June 16 in Avon Park, Fla. The MVRIII is a global positioning system integrated micro computer utilized for targeting purposes. Atlantic Strike is a joint-forces training event involving JTACs from the Army, Air Force and Marines and is held semi-annually at Avon Park Air Ground Training Complex. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Stephen J. Otero)

Hehe I haven't seen an MWD since Mayport...

Thought I'd post this as it's semi-relevant =)

DSC08334.jpg

DSC08337.jpg

I believe I posted it quite a while ago but I've completed the final touch-ups.

Now if I could get the inside to work... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...