ICS M4 CQB Review

Not true, ICS switched gears in their 2007 models to be all TM compatible.

Do the 2007 versions come with metal bushings?

I worked on three ICS AEGs before, an AK74m and two M4s, one of which was bought in 2007.

The AK had a turbo 2000 and metal bushings, and the gears were not TM compatible.

The older M4 had plastic bushings and a turbo 2000, and the gears were not TM compatible.

The newer M4 had a turbo 3000, and plastic bushings, and the gears were not TM compatible. I admit I didn't check the rest of the gun for any of the other upgrades on the 2007 line, but I assumed it was a 2007 because of the Turbo 3000.

So, either my client got fleeced, and sold a pre-07 M4 with a turbo 3000, or ICS haven't changed the gears.

Any current ICS is fully TM compatible. Turbo 2000 models and the very early Turbo 3000 models were not.

*EDIT* Very nice review Fareast!

If you use a TM style stock do you lose the ability to open the receiver?

I've wanted one of these puppies since I first saw it. I completely agree on the carry handle. Easily remedied though :D

Edited by Epyon

From my experience, you can attach a marui compatible stock tube with a shorter screw so that it won't intefere with the upper gearbox. It requires a bit of filing of the part that the stock tube fits onto but it's entirely possible :)

From my experience, you can attach a marui compatible stock tube with a shorter screw so that it won't intefere with the upper gearbox. It requires a bit of filing of the part that the stock tube fits onto but it's entirely possible :)

Sorry but i have to disagree, Tokyo Marui stocks work by srewing into the actual gear boxes where the spring guide is.

Just take alook at the image below, It's from the front page, bottom hole is for the ICS stocks, top hole is for Marui, and guess what, it goes straight into the upper gear box. So it is going to interfere with the gear box isn't it?

p5021934mediummw6.jpg

Fareast you've taken the wrong bit off dude. :P

Pop the sliding stock off the tube by pulling down on the rocker and take the end off the tube by undoing the screw revealed inside the last notch for the stock, look inside the tube and down the end you'll see a screw.

Undo this and the widget that fits inside the gap on the back of the receiver and attaches by the flat head screw comes off the other end, this is the bit you fiddle with to screw a TM style tube on.

Edited by cazboab

Would it be possible to transplant this gearbox into a TM or TM compatible? ((in my case the VFC 416)) I love that two part design.

On another note, anyone want to buy an old but still working Mp5k PDW with metal body? no reason... *goes to check stock on various retailers*

The ICS mech will only work properly in an ICS receiver, due to the way the forward assist works, how the stock attaches and the fact its actually very slightly longer than a marui mech (or copy thereof). You can get the same features by fitting a PCG pro-win gearbox, although the gearbox costs $230 and there's a lot of work involved.

Edited by cazboab

Just for a note, on the full stock ICS guns (not sure about the sliding stock) the stock screw goes into the same hole as on a marui. The difference is that while the marui screw actually reaches the gearbox and spring guide, the screw on the ICS does not and actually threads into the reciver.

The back end of FarEast's gun looks quite a bit different from the ICS recievers I've seen... although I can only speak about my own gun. I think the difference is probably due to the way the folding stock connects to the gun, although I could be wrong.

On another note, I find it hard to believe that people have not encountered ICS guns. It seems like the innovative gearbox design would be a draw. Indeed, that is why I have purchased two ICS guns.

The back end of FarEast's gun looks quite a bit different from the ICS recievers I've seen... although I can only speak about my own gun. I think the difference is probably due to the way the folding stock connects to the gun, although I could be wrong.

Both of mine look like that without the stock adaptor connected (the bit that goes between the receiver and a full or LE stock). The folding stock's buffer tube has it's own integral adaptor.

On another note, I find it hard to believe that people have not encountered ICS guns. It seems like the innovative gearbox design would be a draw. Indeed, that is why I have purchased two ICS guns.

Same here on the unique selling point. The ICS split gearbox is a gem.

Sorry for the primitive question, but how does the other controls (specifically the dust cover, hop-up, and charging handle) work on the ICS? I have a G&G M16, and opening the dust cover to access the hop-up adjuster dial can be a somewhat frustrating task, and the charging handle does nothing more than make a "neat" sound when you pull it back and release.

Edited by seppuku

The ICS has the fully functional charging handle that flips open the dust cover. Unfortunately, the charging handle does not have a mechanism which keeps it pulled back so you can access the hope with two hands. One hand has to be applying force to pull back the charging handle while the other hand fiddles with the adjustment dial. So, adjusting the hop in an ICS is probably just as frustrating a task as in the G&G.

...and here it is:

Stockadaptor.jpg

That's what i mean :) As has been said above the stock screw threads into the adaptor rather than the gearbox as in TM. I'd imagine that FarEast got confused because the folding stock edition doesn't have this "standard" stock adaptor.

Though the person who took the picture has put the screw into it from the wrong side!!! (I know it's not you Reptile hehe)

I'd imagine that FarEast got confused because the folding stock edition doesn't have this "standard" stock adaptor.

No your right it doesn't! Thank you for clarifying this for me Tome, So basically players that purchase the sliding stock version will be able to attach Marui stocks to the ICS.

Yet another little bonus!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Can anyone confirm or deny if the battery box will take a standard mini battery?

i see some people saying yes and some saying no so im confused!

this is the only issue stopping me picking up the side folding stock version of this beautiful gun :)

I managed to squeeze a mini in there and secure the caps. The box doesn't seal completely so I may buy a mini nun-chuck battery just to get the perfect fit.

Can someone recommend me a good threadlock? The barrel nut on my CQB is a bit loose and I can easily twist the handguard side to side. It was like this out of the box too. <_<

Edit: I forgot I had an armorer's wrench. I'll see if that works tomorrow.

Edited by LegitMaan