Classic Army M15a1 'Vietnam'

Ho-hum, another Armalite.

I bought this because I have always considered the a1 the nicest looking of all Armalites. And because I needed a gun that I havent modified...I always seem to make matters worse when I try to improve them! :D

Pics are down the bottom. Styling differences over the a2 are subtle, but significant, giving the rifle an altogether slimmer and lighter feel. In fact the a1 is 160g lighter but it feels much more.

Sumary of differences:

a1

Triangular foregrip attached directly to the receiver (I think) with a straight mount rather than with a pull-back ring. This somehow feels more comfortable to me than the a2.

3-prong XM16E1 style flash hider.

Grey body with black features.

Straight handgrip (no ridge below the middle finger) with mock hinged base (where the cleaning kit went on the real steel).

Rear of receiver near cocking lever tapers rather than bulges.

Rear sight has height adjuster wheel - this is done using the flip-over rear sight (which is the aperture adjuster on the a2). Windage adjuster is a flat, notched disk.

No casing deflector and different style forward assist button.

Matt grey fake bolt.

Rubber stock plate.

a2

Tapering cylinder 2-piece foregrip mounted on a tapering pull-back ring.

Enclosed 'birdcage' flash hider.

Black is black, baby.

Restyled handgrip.

Wider receiver back.

Rear sight elevation adjuster with 2 aperture sizes. Windage adjuster is a large cylindrical knob (which tends to lose its grub screw/bearing!).

Shell deflector ridge and circular forward assist button.

Shiny silver fake bolt (newer models than mine may be matt now. Ignore my red hop cogs - thats an aftermarket piece. Originals are yellow, identical to the a1).

Metal stock plate with flip-down window to insert battery.

---

So theres not a huge lot in it. You prefer the a1 style, or the a2/a4. Easy.

So I opened the box. First thing I notice is the paint. It is awful. Oversprayed in some places, some chips out of the paint and one side is even streaked as if overspray has been brushed in. There are a few bubbles, specifically in the groove behind the carry handle hole. Interestingly, the rear receiver screw is 2/3rd grey like the body and 1/3rd black...so its been partially sprayed.

Took it out...dang, this is light compared to the a2. Not a lot in reality, but it feels so much different I had to weigh them to see what was going on. Foregrip feels really nice and it shoulders well. Then I noticed my second disappointment. Im sure that theres no other way they could do it, but the seam where the 2 pieces of the foregrip meet runs right along the top/bottom line of the grip...through the vent holes. So some meet, some dont and it looks a bit untidy. Plus theres a HUGE sprue mark under the foregrip.

Problem 3...Im a stickler for straight sights etc and the front sight looked out. Im not sure if it is (or if so, its not significantly so)...its the flash hider. That cant be moved on the a1 model... :rolleyes:

I usually hate removable stock plates but this one is really sturdily attached. I have to put it on my knees and use some force to remove it which is encouraging. Battery in...let 'er rip. I thought itd be a bit faster than the a2...hardly any if any difference. Thats fine, Im a midcapper.

Took it gaming and test fired a few shots. Fine for a few, then they dropped. Pooey hop adjuster keeps winding itself off. So I do my '0p hop trick'...cut a small circle of plastic out of a pop bottle and use it as a washer to grip the adjuster. Thats worked so far!

Firing, it sounds meaty as a long barrel should, not clacky at all. Id recommend however that anyone who buys one of these should replace the hop rubber immediately...its not very good. I like the mixture of accuracy and spray that it provides but outdoors it really isnt very reliable so Ill be changing the rubber.

Final odd thing - the mag well is very tight. Takes MAG midcaps and Dboys hicaps fine, bit tight with CA long hicaps, tight as heck with KA VN midcaps. They go in, but its a bit of a squeeze. KA VN midcaps look good though, and they feed perfectly.

---

So overall, Im a little disappointed by little features but overall pleased. Style wise, if you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you will like. For the pedants, the 3-prong flash hider makes it an early (mid 60's) style a1.

Im happy to answer any questions anyone has :)

Edited by GuzziHero

Very nice and to the point review there Guzzi. I can't wait till I get my new job so I will be able to fund myself getting a couple new CA Armalites. You just sold me on this one, I will be getting one along with an M15A4 Rifle just for that classy youthful look next to the knobbily mean look of the M16A4.

I just remembered what I forgot to remember before :D

The way the receiver locks together is all new. My 1 1/2yr old M15a2 uses 2 tiny little metal rods. My 6 month old M15a4 CQB SEAL uses meaty little black rods.

But the M15a1 has a section on the upper receiver that extends back and goes tightly into the lower receiver. Makes disassembly slightly awkward because its hard to seperate but unlike the other 2 there is no body wobble *at all*

---

BTW, if anyone has the XM177E2, Id love to see a review. Specifically, is the stock more solid than previous M4 style models? Thats what stopped me getting the XM177E2...I *hate* those weak and wobbly stocks. Cheers.

I just remembered what I forgot to remember before :D

The way the receiver locks together is all new.  My 1 1/2yr old M15a2 uses 2 tiny little metal rods.  My 6 month old M15a4 CQB SEAL uses meaty little black rods.

But the M15a1 has a section on the upper receiver that extends back and goes tightly into the lower receiver.  Makes disassembly slightly awkward because its hard to seperate but unlike the other 2 there is no body wobble *at all*

---

BTW, if anyone has the XM177E2, Id love to see a review.  Specifically, is the stock more solid than previous M4 style models?  Thats what stopped me getting the XM177E2...I *hate* those weak and wobbly stocks.  Cheers.

Here what I can tell you about the XM177E2,I don't feel like giving a full review,I am not great at it.But here's what I can say.

The stock on mine wobbles a little. Build quality is nice other than that,although I could do with out the Armalite trades. The delta ring was a bit tight, made it difficult to remove the foregrip at first. It can take a 9.6v slim nunchuck like the one intellect produces. A 8.4 mini will work,but the hand guard will not fit to well and it looks horrible.

As for the gear box, a friend of mine opened it up for me. Compression stock wasn't great, needs a bit of work,ROF was pretty good,no problems. I had him swap out the stock spring for a Guarder SP100 and had it reshimmed, its shooting over forum limits now, I was getting 320 out of it before.

Edited by nightblade117
  • 4 months later...

My Current ArmaLite's

G&P M16A1

Jac M16A1

SP M16A1 Carbine

SP CAR15

I've got some G&P VN style mags and find them OK, I have had a few problems but they seem to be feeding fine now. I did take a little time, and a lot of silcon lube. I also bought a box of 5 King Arms VN style mags and find these great, never had a problem feeding and the plastic feed really good. I use a TM VN Hi-Cap as a backup, and again never had a problem with it, but it's a hi-cap :(

Got to say that the CA looks nice, the white trades put me off a little but I think if I was going to get another AEG it would be this or their XM177. How is the paint holding up?

Edited by happy.al