Tanaka Type 99 Arisaka

sekiryu

actually, the T99 featured one of the strongest bolt action systems out its time, I've read that most Japanese soldiers would take off the dustcover, as it was rather unecessary and made a lot of noise.

LOL just read the "miscalculation" on the price, oh well this is still gonna be a hot hot gun in Japan, since this is the equivalent to the American Garand (time-wise). I imagine this will sell like hotcakes over there.

The Type 99 was both 6.5mm and 7.7mm (a logistics nightmare) but it held up well against the problems in the Pacific but against the M1 Garand it was a bit obsolete.

Wonder if it can mount a plastic bayonet and do a kamikaze charge with it (Japan LMG's had bayonet lugs, the only army to do that ROFL).

BTW i agree with sekiryu, L85A1 is pish, its plastic furniture melted and it jammed to easily.

'FireKnife'

haha yea that cal is kinda weak... I heard that towards the end of the war, many of them were used with sub-par wood.

wood shmood, towards the end of the war they were made with sub-par steel. i've read that some of the rifles made in the dying days of the war are too unsafe to fire.

then again, the rifles made before the war are widely regarded to be the strongest (best design, best steel) bolt action rifles of the day. loads that would cause enfields, springfields and K98ks to explode would be taken in stride by the T99.

wood shmood, towards the end of the war they were made with sub-par steel. i've read that some of the rifles made in the dying days of the war are too unsafe to fire.

then again, the rifles made before the war are widely regarded to be the strongest (best design, best steel) bolt action rifles of the day. loads that would cause enfields, springfields and K98ks to explode would be taken in stride by the T99.

Maybe the steel was good, but looks to me like a plain Mauser bolt system. Plus the Japanese were still using Hotchkiss-based MGs and subpar submachine guns, and had low manufacturing capability. They fought that war with their resolve, not their weaponry.

I would disagree, the Japanese imperial forces used strategies of lighting fast strikes (such as the siege on Hong Kong and Singapore immediately after Pearl Harbor), overwhelming their enemies with superior numbers and armament, such as artillery. The, U.S., on the other hand, had much greater numbers in terms of weaponry and manpower when compared to the Japanese, of course there was also the Chinese who tied down ~2 million Japanese soldiers while the U.S. took the fight to Japan.

I would disagree, the Japanese imperial forces used strategies of lighting fast strikes (such as the siege on Hong Kong and Singapore immediately after Pearl Harbor), overwhelming their enemies with superior numbers and armament, such as artillery. The, U.S., on the other hand, had much greater numbers in terms of weaponry and manpower when compared to the Japanese, of course there was also the Chinese who tied down ~2 million Japanese soldiers while the U.S. took the fight to Japan.

That's precisely what I mean - the Japanese didn't have superior firepower, but look at their fight-to-the-death attitude as the US began its island-hopping. That's what I referred to with the word 'resolve'.

Sweet! My grandfather served in the pacific during WWII and captured an arisaka type-99 from some dead guy. It is now in my posession. as a result, I REALLY want an airsoft version to play with (cant shoot real bullets at people lol). I was thinking about the KTW version, but that's $1200. I was thinking about making my own, but I dare not tamper with my grandfather's war trophy. while an arisaka is only $200 and the airsoft internals would be $100, i stand a high chance of breaking something and losing $300. I'd happily pay an extra $200 for the added performance and reliability.

Is there any word about if Tanaka will release this to the US? does Tanaka always release things in Japan first and THEN the rest of the world?

I'd imagine so since the Kar98's has Nazi emblems

I'm not sure if the Japanese would think selling the imperial Chrisanthimum would be quite Kosher. When they surrendered their rifles at the ends of WWII they scratched out the seal on all their rifles before they put them down....they're pretty serious about that stuff.

You wouldn't happen to know how to tell the early production models apart from the late production models would you?

Archived