tm hi-capa 5.1 problems firing

matthewryan2k

hello, im in desperate need of help here. got a tm hicapa 5.1 that im cosmetically upgrading with shiny silver parts. just installed a new trigger onto it, closed it up again and it wouldnt fire.

consulted wege's hi-capa takedown (and also emailed him receiving helpful suggestions) and various other tutorials and have at least managed to make it so you can cock the hammer, pull the trigger and the hammer goes back up as it should do. from this i understand that the leaf spring is aligned properly as before the hammer whould be jammed, so it at least works

the problem here is that when i put the slide back on and cock the hammer, it stays down and pullling the trigger doesnt have any effect. randomly fires, sometimes in full auto!!!!

i have come to the conclusion that it is this part of the gun, circled below that is causing the problem:

pistolhelp.jpg

it seems to be in an up position so that when pressed or the slide is moved over it, it pushes it down, jamming the hammer in the down position.

i didnt take any of that section of the gun apart so i cant see that ive done aything. hopefuly someone can give me ideas on fixing this as i cant see anything else that can be done. thanks

Your leaf spring isn't properly lined up. I had this problem to but some guys at the ISPC meeting we had helped me with it.

Your leaf spring could be worn down and therefore leading to full-auto fire.

Contrary to say KSC1911 the leaf spring on a TM Hi-Capa should slide right in without the use of force.

Last but not least; Do NOT fire the gun until you know for certain that all parts are correctly installed and working.

Rack the gun open, push down the slide catch, safety on.

Squeeze the trigger, if the hammer moves something's up; if the hammer falls once you push the safety down something's up.

Safety off, fire. Cock hammer; uncock hammer.

Once you've fulfilled all these criterias you can load the mag with gas and do some dry-shooting.

The part you have circled is the firing pin lock. It locks the firing pin forward for a short time. It doesn't affect the hammer, so it shouldn't be your problem.

BTW. Usually these things work with the firing pin lock removed, because the pressure of green gas is enough to cycle the slide anyways. Removing the valve lock is one way to run green gas without stressing the slide that badly.

It sounds more like your leaf spring isn't pushing the sear properly forward, and that the right finger of the leaf spring isn't pushing the disconnector upwards properly. The combination of these problems could lead to the problems you described: Won't fire, then all of the sudden goes full auto.

-Sale

• 3 weeks later...

hello, back from college for the summer so now is the time for me to look at it again. below are pics of the leaf spring. whether or not they're useful i dont know but here they are anyway:

DVC01096.jpg

DVC01094.jpg

still having the same problem: when i put the slide on is usualy when it all goes wrong. take the gun apart to reinspect the leaf spring but it seems like its in the right place, strange

had a look at the leaf spring, ive tried it in all manner of postitions (the middle prong) . sometimes it will allow random firing: automatic/semi, the hammer doesnt always stay fully down. other times the hammer locks back after the slide blowsback and after the initial shot it doesnt fire at all.

could this simply be a need for a new leaf spring as i have tried everything! i've even become a master of replacing the leaf spring without needing to take off the grip or slide (much quicker)

i think i have success....kind of. seems to fire as it should do (i.e. not in automatic, or when you put the magazine in etc..) but sometimes it doesnt allow you to fire- you have to manualy pull the slideback to get it to fire. so maybe this is a new problem? (all this for a new trigger!!!). probably should point out it has a shooters design metal slide on it so maybe more powerful hammer spring would sort it out?

okay, i have a noose and a stool ready. please i still need help.

pinpointed specificaly the problem. hammer works fine, its just when the slide cycles it seems to be pushing down on those two silver parts highlighted earlier causing the hammer to stay down. usualy manualy cocking the slide a few times makes it work.

I just had a similar problem, If I describe my symptoms, if yours match, Ill give you the solution.

Take the slide off and cock the hammer manually then fire, does it shoot like normal?

Then put the slide on, rack it, does it shoot?

Do all this with no mag.

Dom

I just had a similar problem, If I describe my symptoms, if yours match, Ill give you the solution.

Take the slide off and cock the hammer manually then fire, does it shoot like normal?

Then put the slide on, rack it, does it shoot?

Do all this with no mag.

Dom

with the slide off, cocking the hammer allows firing of the weapon

when i put the slide on, there seems a 50/50 chance that it will allow you to shoot. when it doesnt shoot the hammer stays down as normal but requires pressing down slightly until a clicking noise happens. then it allows you to fire.

thanks in advance for helping my continual struggle, heres a lovely picture of the gun you are helping to save:

DVC01104.jpg

Round 2 of questions:

Did you happen to buy a new PDI Sear for your hi-capa and install it?

Could you take a picture of the SIDE view of your leaf spring, to see the prong alignment?

Dom

all the internal working parts are stock tm. the sear is the same as the one that came with the gun bought new (no previous owners)

images of the leaf spring:

DVC01133.jpg

DVC01131.jpg

also a note: i have tried the leaf spring prongs in pretty much all directions and this seems to be the only one that doesnt make the hammer unmovable (and thus prevent firing)

i get same problem monts ago.

Guys, please look your pictures and find the diferences in that springs... the problem, its because you spring loose the original form.

you can do 2 things.

buy a new spring.

get old spring and give the original form.

Archived