Cutting High-Cap Mags,

Alright I have been building a custom RPK drum mag for my TM AK-47, and I need to cut holes in the side of the hi-cap. These holes need to be fairly large to allow BB's to roll into them, need to allow plenty of BB's to roll in and also need to be able to cut

I was wondering two things

1. Where should I cut the holes, I have measurement pictures. Like I have taken a high-cap mag apart before but, I am unsure of where to cut so I wont damage to loading or feeding mechanisms.

Here are pictures of the magazine...

ak2uk8.jpg

ak1ai9.jpg.

So from where to where would be safe to cut...

2. What would I use to cut it, I have very few tools available. as most of my tools are at our cabin...

I have

-Soldering Iron (I use it to cut through plastic,)

-Hack Saws

-A grinder

-Chisels

-Razor Blades

-Exacto Knifes

-Sharp Sticks

-Etc...

So anyone with experience what should I use to make a semi-clean easy cut into the side of the mag without damaging it but with the largest hole possible?

Take the plastic guts out of the magazine shell. I'm not sure how AK mags are on the inside, but there should be two huge windows on either side above the winding mechanism. Cut this entire area out of the metal shell, or at least what will be covered by the drum.

Second question- Really none of those tools can do the job. Do you know anyone who will let you borrow a dremel?

Tap out the pin on the metal lip, pull off the metal lip then pull out the innards.

Lay the innards over the outards (is that a word?) and draw around the hole in the side and cut out that area of the casing.

It'll look something like this on the innards, the brown area is what you'll need to cut out.

PICT0308-1.jpg

The best tool for the job is a Dremel type tool but you could probably get a way with using a drill to start the holes then thread a thin bladed hacksaw thru both sides and cut it that way.

You could always order a CYMA plastic hicap and go to town with the soldering iron... Leaves you with one extra working mag, too - the one you didn't have to chop up ;)

If you dont have a dremel you need to drill a guide hole at every corner and then saw with the hack saw if it got a thin enough blade to get throug the hole. There are actually very few things you need a dremel to do, it just makes things easier

Archived