Tokyo Mauri Vz61 Scorpion

Bing a lover of all things eastern bloc I picked up a VZ61 scorpion when It came onto the market. With no Eastern Bloc pistols being available i thought this might fill the gap until someone makes a decent russian GBB.

Anyway on with the brief review.......

First up a couple of pictures of the Box art work and what you get once you lift the lid on the box.

boxwork.jpg

insidethebox.jpg

inside the box you have the VZ61, a 50 round magazine, a small ris rail and a couple of box's which contain the 7.2v battery, charger, muzzle cap, sight adjustment tool, allen key, small bolt, barrel extension for adding a silencer and the usual paperwork supplied with any TM AEG.

Here's what it looks like out the box.

leftside.jpg

rightside.jpg

stockextendedright.jpg

stockextendedleft.jpg

It's actually a very small gun and here's it next to a MP5K and a USP for comparison.

sizecomparison1.jpg

sizecomparison2.jpg

The charger I received was a 2 prog jobby so I cut the thing in half and plugged the special charger unit into my normal charger. On fast charge it was good to go after about 20 minutes. fitting the battery is a simple job. you twist the little cap on the bottom of the pistol grip and it comes away from the grip. All you have to do is align the battery the right way and slide it it.

fittingthebattery.jpg

I chrono'd the VZ61 and got a nice result of 230 FPS with a plus of 233 and a minus of 228. The RPM is about 750 on a fully charged battery and the little magazine with its 50 bb's is emptied in about 4 seconds. I will probably buy the little drum magazine or hope for someone to produce a Hicap or i will be swapping mag's every 4 seconds.

The hop up is adjusted by pulling back on the cocking lever which inturn exposes the hop up unit.

hop.jpg

It's very easy to adjust and seems to stay in the place that I set it for.

Edited by mightyjebus

The scorpion also comes with a little RIs rail and once attached to the bottom of the receiver with the supplied screw and allen key allows for all sorts of bits to be bolted on.

risrail.jpg

The barrel extension allows for any -14MM silencer to be fitted. All you have to do is unscrew the original outer barrel and screw on the adapter. Then it's just a case of screwing on the silencer of you choice.

extender.jpg

Well this is a short review and below i have included a few more photos. Overall this is a great little gun that really really needs Hicaps because once you pull that trigger you just want the bb's to keep coming.

Some more pictures:

everything in the box:

outsidethebox.jpg

the little bag's of bits:

littlebits.jpg

Battery comparison with a CYMA Glock AEP:

batterycomparison.jpg

is the drum mag out for this yet? anone got it? used it? wanna add a little review of the drum in here? if the drums are cheap, hold a decent amount of rounds, (i think 120 is fare for a gun this size :P ) and dosent require battery i may partake in a skorpion, just for reliving GoldenEye on the N64 lol

I know we will.

I know for a fact that at least one clone company is working on copying it as I type.

230fps is pathetic - I have spring pistols that do better than that.

DL, the hop up unit on these AEPs are extremely well built, so even though it only shoots in the low to mid 200s the range is absolutely fantastic.

Clone Skorp? hmm...

DL, the hop up unit on these AEPs are extremely well built, so even though it only shoots in the low to mid 200s the range is absolutely fantastic.

Except that the MP7 (which has the same gearbox as the scorp) gets 250fps.

And long range matters not a jot when this is clearly a CQB weapon.

Except that the MP7 (which has the same gearbox as the scorp) gets 250fps.

And long range matters not a jot when this is clearly a CQB weapon.

Then does FPS really matter than much if its a CQB weapon? FPS is not a HUGE factor for CQB, its when your picking off targets at a distance that matters.

I'm pretty sure you can upgrade it to better performance, besides isn't the CYMA 030 like 200 fps?

High FPS does not mean as much of a difference as other things.

Then does FPS really matter than much if its a CQB weapon? FPS is not a HUGE factor for CQB, its when your picking off targets at a distance that matters.

I'm pretty sure you can upgrade it to better performance, besides isn't the CYMA 030 like 200 fps?

High FPS does not mean as much of a difference as other things.

1) The CYMA CM030 is 220fps.

2) The FPS is still an important consideration - even in CQB I want my bbs to land on target quickly.