Make your AUG STANAG compatible

sekiryu

I managed to modify my TM AUG's magwell to fit Type 89 mags. The process will probably be a little bit different with regular M16 mags.

1. Remove everything.

2. Cut a notch (as needed to your mag's specs) here.

3. Cut these so the mag will actually fit.

4. Cut off the back half of the top magwell piece, and trim off the tab on the front (the one with the foam glued to it). Like so.

5. Remove the foam insert that's at the back of the magwell.

6. Cut a notch where needed on the back of the M16 mag so the mag catch will engage (haven't actually done that).

7. The magwell piece (what the hell is that called anyway?) will need to be moved back just far enough for the M16 mag to feed. It would probably be a good idea to glue it in place.

And:

dsc02618aw5.th.jpg

dsc02619bl3.th.jpg

Fits nice and snug, although it usually takes a little angling/smacking to get the mag to seat.

XM8? I think the XM8 uses the same magwell as the G36, which means you could just buy that STANAG magwell conversion (forgot who makes it).

So, can we get some more pics with thw whole gun assembled? Do you have enough parts to get the whole thing assembled?

I kinda gutted the gearbox........:P

yes they are different guns, but why does it being bullpup matter? all that means is that the mag is in a different place

no it wont work with the XM8, for a start the main reason its possible with the AUG (maybe) is that the Mags are much the same size, so the only real problem is feeding

the XM8 however has a one piece body to the Private parts magwell convesion is out. and the mags are a log bigger, so a stanag conversion would mean substantially shrinking the magwell with could be done with thin layers of ABS inside the magwell but then you have to figure out a way to lock the magazine in place and have a working release mech. just because its modding a gun to fit the same mag, doesn't mean its not a whole other ball game

i wonder...

would this work?

widening the aug magwell with a dremel, then getting an old cheapo m4, cutting off the bottom of the magwell and putting it inside the aug magwell? just wondering

Give me a minute.

I'm half way through doing that now.

With a twist...

Couldn't you just get an AUG mag, gut it and cut the top off and rig it up to let a m4 mag sit inside?

Then you'd not need to mess about with the permanent mods to the magwell.

that is a good idea if you have a load of unused aug highcaps.....which i dont, hence wanting to be able to use m4 midcaps instead.

Archived