Clothes & Gear for hot & humid conditions

KWP

I guess for most of us summer will be hot and for some also humid. In my area it'll be pretty humid with around 90% humidity and more. So, I am very curious about your solutions for a highly tactical outfit, that doesn't only look cool, but allows your body to stay cool.

Btw, do not just think about current official and issue stuff. Trekking and Mountaineering equipment and clothes can be very effective as well if not even better. Hope to see loads of interesting ideas – thanks.

I have no personal experience with it but i hear that underarmour is freakin GREAT.

That new crye half underarmour, half multicam bdu shirt should be awesome. If i rob a bank anytime soon i plan on getting one of the shirts.

Yeah, the Crye Multicam Apparel is great.

I even just recently found Kifaru provides a complete solution

in MultiCam, that keeps the upper body free and thus allows superb ventilation and movement. It's called the Tailgunner System. That's it.

MultiCam rules :)

During the summer here in Florida (aye!) I dress like I normaly do. I have a black under armor-like shirt that I can wear, but black sticks out in the environment I play in. The under armor whisks away the mosture and greatly cools the skin down. You will definitely feel any sort of wind movement if you are outside (it feels ever so good!).

I am thinking about buying some OD or brown under armor from Lightfighter Tactica ( seen here)

Ive thought about playing without a BDU jacket, with only my brown undershirt, but the area we play in has lots of bugs. I dont like finding random bumps all over my skin (unless they're battle wounds =] ).

Ah Ive been looking to discuss this for a long time.

Im will be looking to buy the 'under armour' shirt. Looks good.

Maybe i will buy a TT MAV as well as it wont be as hot as my Tac. Vest yet still be able to hold my stuff.

Heat and humidity is a real big issue here in Hong kong for summer. :(

Oh and would This be a good alternative? (long sleeves, OD)?

Thanks

Cruxed, yes sir, that would be a good alternative. I would buy a shirt like that, but I like to cover up my arms.

I also recommend NOT wearing a BDU jacket over the under armor. I believe it stops the air from getting to the material, so it wont help in whisking away moisture from your skin.

Cruxed, yes sir, that would be a good alternative. I would buy a shirt like that, but I like to cover up my arms.

I also recommend NOT wearing a BDU jacket over the under armor. I believe it stops the air from getting to the material, so it wont help in whisking away moisture from your skin.

I must admit I like Trekking/Hiking Equipment. That's why I hoped for some ideas of that area. I think the sophisticated fabrics and design often used for such clothes are very effective compared to the common cotton-based bdu's, that soak up sweat like a sponge and hardly dry so that they stick uncomfortably to your body. Moist/wet clothes are a good way to get a cold in the winter or even in the middle of the summer, when your body cools down after a game in your still wet BDUs. Maybe wearing nothing is best (*joke), but suppose the skin is too bright, unless you got a nice overall body tan or paint :D .

Well, I've been using under armor for a few months, underneath my BDU's. Since it's been cold, I've also worn another long-sleeve shirt over the underarmor. It hasn't prevented the under armor from working. The long-sleeve shirt gets damp (or without it, my BDU's) after 4-8 hour games, while I remained pretty dry; that stuff is amazing!

Under armor works great under things. Their main market (at leas tint he US) is american football players, such as myself. I own quite a few.

Also, I don't know where else you can buy em, but on the naval base where I live they sell the "military" kind which is basically a tannish OD ish color and a grey color, too, that I have never seen elsewhere.

Also, I don't know where else you can buy em, but on the naval base where I live they sell the "military" kind which is basically a tannish OD ish color and a grey color, too, that I have never seen elsewhere.

That's a good point. When I checked out sporting goods stores, the only 'tactical' color was black. I could only find OD & grey were online. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I got them.

Why not try british tropical DPM, it is great in hot weather and also in cold weather

cheers

Her Majesty's Armed Forces is with no doubt one of the finest on this planet, but for certain reasons I prefer other stuff for Airsoft, e.g. see photo in the thread "General Discussion/Pictures of your Gear".

"Long may she reign"

Interesting topic this - having spent 4 years as an airborne grunt at Fort Bragg and also having done time at jungle warfare school in Panama and a tour of peacekeeping in the Sinai, hot weather comfort is something I've not really known.

Certainly from my experience the US Army combo of cotton t-shirt and NYCO BDUs or rip-stop cotton BDUs SUCKS in hot weather.

From what I've seen, the newer British poly-cotton airtex and rip-stop fabrics look like they'd be more comfortable, but I haven't tested them myself. Another product which looks like it might be good is the Powerbase T-shirt from Special Air-Sea Services - but it could be more intended for colder climates.

Anybody know of a good moisture-wicking t-shirt for hotter weather?

Deary me: a discussion of 'ideal in humid conditions gear' and no-one has mentioned vietnam issue OG107s?

A set of gear specifically designed for the the humid areas of the world...Modular M56 web gear can be suited to the situation,OG107s, Some jungle boots and an M1 pot with a Mitchell Cover...perfection for 'Betty Swollocks' weather ;)

Roll on May, when my new 1972 impression rolls out at Fireball

• 3 weeks later...
{...}

Anybody know of a good moisture-wicking t-shirt for hotter weather?

Any T-Shirt made of those sophisticated fabrics as found in Football Tricots and particularly Hiking/Mountaineering clothes, e.g. "OmniDry" from Columbia.

I currently use an OD Acteryx Shirt with Mandarin Collar and 1/2 Front Zipper made of those synthetic moisture-wicking fabrics. Works pretty cool.

Tips for keeping cool in hot weather, quote from 'optactical' on the wannabe forums.

1. NO underwear, you will not believe how big of a difference this makes, on very hot days lose the t-shirt also.

2. Wear your chest rigs low if you don't have on body armor...chest rigs trap heat in your lungs and heart, causing your circulatory and respiratory systems to have a higher temp in their distribution points. This is the reason you see so many active duty guys still wearing the old belt order in jungles instead of high speed kit.

3. Minimize your load, bullets, water, meds, commo, navigation, survival and NVGs. Travel light.

4. Hydration backs are great, but they also cause a lot of sweating and tubes and bladders heat up quicker than canteens and Nalgenes, drinking hot water also raises your body temp.

5. Always keep bug juice in your 2nd line gear, in the same pocket as your camo.

6. Boonie hats are hotter than PCs (Patrol Caps), and if you are in thick jungle, or out of the sun in general, they only serve to look cool and heat up your head...which by the way is the part of your body that 90% of extra heat escapes from. Since you guys have no politics and commanders to deal with, get a bandana, or a patrol cap.

7. Don't wear gloves if you don't have to, camo your hands and keep you sleeve cuffs open all the way for circulation.

Tips for keeping cool in hot weather, quote from 'optactical' on the wannabe forums.

1. NO underwear, {...}

{...}

..., but I am not a Scotsman, I don't like certain parts of my body hanging loose :D.

I also think it's better to wear a moisture-wicking T-Shirt even in the summer when your BDU has cotton fabrics, because you don't want something cold and wet sticking directly to your skin. Under certain circumstances this can even cause a cold in the summer.

The rest of your list is quite agreeable, thanks for the info.

Well, I've been using under armor for a few months, underneath my BDU's. Since it's been cold, I've also worn another long-sleeve shirt over the underarmor. It hasn't prevented the under armor from working. The long-sleeve shirt gets damp (or without it, my BDU's) after 4-8 hour games, while I remained pretty dry; that stuff is amazing!

That's pretty much why I didnt suggest wearing BDUs over under armor. I tried it and it only made me hotter, and I do believe it made me a bit damp.

Ahh well, I guess it's all about personal opinions =]

Someone here said a while ago to try wearing I think some sort of "hunting fishnet shirt" under your clothes. Apparently it creates a bunch of air pockets between your clothes and your body that works in both weather conditions (hot or cold) to keep you warm or cool.

Archived