Does anybody police the picture thread forum?

Most of the threads have become general discussion of anything vaguely related to the subject. Pictures are few and far between.

Personally, I'd suggest deleting the existing threads and starting again.

I'd also suggest that, in future, there is a standard format for picture threads whereby you post a pic and also list the manufacturer of the product, what changes you've made and any other info.

That'd stop the threads collapsing into pages of Q&A about a particular feature of a particular item in a specific picture.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the main culprits seem to be the avatar-less masses.. those who frequent the forum only to get information as quickly as possible..

I thought the WA issues thread would cut down on the chaff in the 1911 thread, but there's more than enough spam coming from the TM upgrading newbs.

--

Maybe there should just be a picture thread mod.. someone to prune out the useless comments & questions that have been asked eleventybillion times.

It would be very tedious and time consuming and hard to find someone to actually do the deed and continue doing it for nothing.

Theres alot of people with a few hundred posts in picture threads who have posted little or no pictures themselves, its not all nameless faces asking about things they could get browsing a retailers page for 5 minutes.

Be nice to be able to tell certain people they should know better but theres no real control when all parties are behind a machine.

As has been mentioned before somewhere, just scroll through the thread until you reach a pic.  Your not forced to read the posts with no pics.

Tell you what; try that in the M14 thread and let me know how long it takes you to find an EBR.

We're not talking about the odd comment. We're talking about page after page after page of discussion with no pics at all.

Fair enough. I can't say i've ventured into the M14 pic thread. Can you not just do a search through the M14 thread with EBR as one of the keywords. That is assuming people post that information.

I do agree it would be helpful to post what you suggested along with the pic/pics though.

Tell you what; try that in the M14 thread and let me know how long it takes you to find an EBR.

Agreed, but that's because some certain people feel the need to troll every post that DOES contain an EBR.

Same as the ridiculous "raped armalite" discussion.

That said, searching's always an option I suppose. We do get some interesting/useful discussion out of the picture threads from time to time.

Edited by Lithium Jack

I quite like the on-topic discussions in the pictures threads, most of the time there better than the ones you find in the general discussion forum. I find it easier to ask an AK related question in the AK picture thread than make a new thread somewhere else.

It's just when they go way off topic that they spoil the thread.

Here's an idea :rolleyes:

Perhaps the majority of picture threads are like that because that's what people want?

I know that when I post a picture I like a comment or two, if I get a discussion even better!

As has been said it's really not hard to scroll through until you find a picture, unless that's a bit tricky for you lot ;)

Tbh, the systems not broke, don't try and fix it. If everyone elses enjoyment and use of the forums is annoying you....

Edited by PariahWolf

a lot of people post their pictures to gain feedback on what the masses think about them, if we remove the comments then people are less likley to bother posting pics since they will not recieve any praise or suggestions.

just a thought

Here's an idea  :rolleyes:

Perhaps the majority of picture threads are like that because that's what people want?

Perhaps it doesn't matter what you, or a small clique of people, want. Perhaps the important thing is to abide by the rules of the forum?

The pic threads were started to post (and discuss) pictures of guns. They weren't put up to create a "Random discussion about M4/MP5/1911/P90/Whatever" thread.

a lot of people post their pictures to gain feedback on what the masses think about them, if we remove the comments then people are less likley to bother posting pics since they will not recieve any praise or suggestions.

just a thought

Compliments can be sent via PM.

What exactly IS the point of the picture threads?

I thought it was to display pictures of your guns.

I wasn't aware that it was actually a sort of miniature community within a community all of its own.

I've nothing against comments or questions relating to a picture that's been posted but it's undeniable that the level of chat in a lot of those threads goes WAY beyond that.

Thing is, from the POV of a person trying to find specific images, the pic threads are almost totally useless. I doubt anybody will have the patience to scan through 200-odd pages of random posts in the vain hope of finding something they're looking for.

The only people who actually know what's in those threads are, I imagine, the little clique of people who use them as a private chat area.

Maybe what we need (if it isn't already possible) is a gallery system which allows you to search by gun type and, crucially, create pages of thumbnails that can be viewed easily.

Course, that would remove the need for the picture threads.

Edited by Stealthbomber
Maybe what we need (if it isn't already possible) is a gallery system which allows you to search by gun type and, crucially, create pages of thumbnails that can be viewed easily.

Course, that would remove the need for the picture threads.

Maybe a gallery with the option to post comments would be a good compromise? Sort of like the Blog section, where some one could post a "picture entry" into a picture section, and then comments could be posted like they would for a Blog. Could use a lot of forum space though. Maybe if images could be externally hosted, and a gallery mod could browse through every once in a while to delete old threads? It sounds a little complex, I'm mainly just thinking out loud; I don't really care either way.

Edit: I have to agree, it's a major PITA to navigate pic threads. There are a lot more comments than I recall, and not only that, but many people don't really label their pics.

Edited by ChrisNorthInGer

Comments - Yes, they're always good, nothing like a bit of envy when you've slaved over a custom gun.

On-topic conversations - Yes, so long as they're short and sweet and don't involve two members having a running conversation.

Off-topic - No, obviously.

Questions - Yes, so long as theyre not extraordinarily drawn out.

--

In my eyes there should be at least 5 pictures on each page of a picture thread, any less and it should just be called "M4 discussion thread w/ pictures" or something..

how about capping picture threads at say 50 pages then makinga new one. makes it less drawn out.

maybe a few tweakings tot eh forum (arnie can it be done) to

1 make a minimum post "size" in characters so the "nice gun" comments are minimised

2 remove images in quotes automaticlay (yes it ###### me off as well and i did say so a while back)

3 limit the size of hotlinked images so they arent HUGE which seems to be creaping in.

i personaly avoid the picy threads due to the spam which goes on there.

as to removeing them., no its nice to 1 look at others pics for identification of neat mods 2 gloat over new toys

also persistant spammers

how about capping picture threads at say 50 pages then makinga new one. makes it less drawn out.

all that means is that pictures older than 6 months will be lost..

I can't see the point in the picture thread forums. A waste of bandwidth in my opinion.

Almost every image in the picture forum is hosted somewhere else.

I just had a scan through the most current picture threads and I honestly can't see the problem.

The vast majority have around 5-10 pics per page. Its true that a small minority of threads such as the M14 one get clogged up with rubbish. However it appears to me, thats no representative of the whole.

IMO theres no point in a picture thread without room for comment as it should be a resource for information not showing off.