Artistic Airsoft

Actually I use it for everything, from selecting to vector drawings. Maybe it's because I'm a left handed artist using a right-handed mouse that I do better with the pen in photoshop. 

I gotta say though, working with paths in photoshop is just as easy when you get used to it, regardless. Once you know the keyboard short cuts it goes quickly. Illistrator has always seemed kinda pointless to me ever since I learned how to use vectors in PS. What is your take on why one is better than the other when it comes to vectors?

By far, the best is illustrator. Its purpose made for vector work. I do use photoshop heavily however, post vector to add or finish off work. ( I teach Graphic Design and I'm also a freelance Graphic Designer )

Heres a simple vector. A T-shirt design logo for a company here in the UK.

15hy2rp.jpg

p.s. guys this is a copywritten image dont reproduce in any way.

Edited by ENGLISHFELLOW
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

elchinator, your pictures look great, nothing like an SAA right? They photograph really well. Although the nickel ones can be difficult to work with because of how reflective they are, so my hat's off to you.

Thanks !

Yes, those reflections really gave me a hard time. That's one of the reasons, I made the pictures in b/w. It covers some of the "wrong" colours... ;)

But once you have the right angle and a good background, it's quite easy to photograph a nickel plated gun. You can even use the reflections for some nice effects.

colt0135ec.jpg

I think it's more difficult to take good pictures of black guns, as they have a very hard contrast on them. You made good use of that!

Again though that doesn't seem like anything you couldn't do in PS using the pen tool, tracing over a scanned sketch or reference images off the web.

For the sake of argument, it took me longer to write this post than it did to trace part of your graphic in photoshop using the pen tool:

22ws2.jpg

15kd.jpg

Really though, I want to know what specifically makes illustrator better?

Simple. PS vectors arent actually vectors. they are jpg layers(made from pixels). Using illustrator ( true mathematical vectors ) you can scale up or down to massive scales without losing any image quality. A vector on IL can be made the size of a building and not lose and quality or show pixelation.

here is an example.

the first image is PS at 1500% magnification

15hzst3.jpg

the second is an identically sized piece at over 6000% magnification. look at the difference in quality.

15hztoo.jpg

I understand that clearly, but a path in photoshop is the same, you can make it as big as you want without it loosing quality. It's only once you stroke/fill/select/do whatever to it that it can loose quality.

BUT I get your point now, it does make it easier when you can fill or stroke your paths without worrying about losing quality. If I had a computer that didnt crash every time I switched from PS to Illustrator I might actually consider using it now ;) I will say that the only important thing is what you end up with, not what program or whatever you used to make it.

I understand that clearly, but a path in photoshop is the same, you can make it as big as you want without it loosing quality. It's only once you stroke/fill/select/do whatever to it that it can loose quality.

BUT I get your point now, it does make it easier when you can fill or stroke your paths without worrying about losing quality. If I had a computer that didnt crash every time I switched from PS to Illustrator I might actually consider using it now ;) I will say that the only important thing is what you end up with, not what program or whatever you used to make it.

Oh of course. its always best to use what ever program you feel most at ease with. I prefer IL simply because in industry IL is the standard and it allows clients to easily alter scale or colour for rediculously high resolution printing jobs.

I learned illustrator early on, photoshop can't do full on illustrations, and illustrator can't do full on page layout, they each have their own territories. I'll vote for Illustrator purely because you can't import PSD vector art into After Effects at all, something I do on a daily basis. But you can easily bring in .ai files. Too bad Adobe can't find their own talent to save their lives in regards to video, they dropped the ball with Premiere so bad it's not funny.

DirtySanta; yeah dude, that is sweet :D As far as I'm concerned `art` in this thread is a good enough heading for any picture interestingly modified or particularly well taken, regarding something airsofty.

I have yet to find anyone who can categorically describe what is `art` and what isn't, anyway ;)

Trasher; thats very a nice picture mate, well done..

Simple. PS vectors arent actually vectors. they are jpg layers(made from pixels). Using illustrator ( true mathematical vectors ) you can scale up or down to massive scales without losing any image quality. A vector on IL can be made the size of a building and not lose and quality or show pixelation.

PS vector tools are not all that exciting... but they get the job done. If you're making web graphics or anything that isn't supposed to be printed, PS is all you'll ever need. IL is a great program, but it's primarily made for print/desktop publishing. Edited by aljorik

Its not very Artistic to be quite honest :P. But..........

DSC043381Small.jpg

.....I thought you might like to see some really Moniez :D - £12,150 in total - Me likeys :rolleyes:

DSC043311Small.jpg

I walked into Wolf Arm. today with it - But I wasn't allowed to buy anything :(

Edited by kliskey

I'm guessing: savings account transfer?

;)

And walking into Wolf with that you could walk out the door as the proud owner of, ooh, about 3 AEGs, perhaps?? :lol: *fruitcage* ripoff merchants that they are, but I guess operating out of inner London isn't the most economically viable choice in the world, mind you.