GAU-8

rwham

That would depend on your budget. For about $2k, I'm sure someone can whip out one for you. For about $100, I can make it out of household tubing, make it fire through the center and the barrels rotate only in your imagination unless you're willing to fork over 10 more bucks for an electric fan motor.

I think it would be cheaper to duct tape together the gearboxes from 6 mini electric guns and then wire them to the same trigger, and use a fan motor to rotate the barrels. Run the wires through a gyro like on a BMX bike to keep them from tangling and there you have it: a minigun for under $100. Bonus points for extending the mini's barrels to be actual length instead of just using oversized pipe around them.

The OP's pic is not a GAU-8 as has been established. The real thing runs half the length of the A-10 its carried in and thus probably 5-6 meters long.

Bare in mind that the picture at the top is minus the ammo drum. The whole gun is indeed 6.4 meters, the barrel length is 2.299 meters. The GAU 8 is fairly recognisable due to it hving 7 barrels and the odd look muzzle break affair at the front. Check the picture at the top with the picture of the nose of an A-10 on the following page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8

I agree a GUA 19 would be sweet and way more practical(was gonna post up that exact idea but I was beaten to the punch!), if you had the smarts you could even make it 8mm though that may be a bit extreme for airsoft (328fps 8mm BBs at 1,300rpm :o ) The GAU 8 is totally unworkable as an airsoft prject, largelly because of suck back, airsoft equipment is just not made to fire a pellet down a 2.3 meter long barrel. Further more barrels that big and heavy spinning that fast would represent a serious hazard to anyone near them.

You'd obviously have to do some customization if you were using much longer barrels. Create a custom bore-up cylinder/cylinder head/piston head with a much larger diameter than normal. That would provide an appropriate amount of volume, as well as generate less pressure so that the BB won't accelerate to an insane FPS.

Or you could just use a regular-length inner barrel. Unless you want to wave the gun around while firing.

My thought is still "even if you could, what would be the point?" there are many far smaller and more practical rotary cannons out there than the behemoth that is the GAU 8. For simplicities sake I'd sugest the GAU 19, three barrels just seems so much simpler than 6 or even 7. The cool thing about the GAU 19 is that you could mount it on a vehicle of some kind to be transportable, then you could make it either 6mm or 8mm, probably have a lower RoF if 8mm other wise it would be pretty viscous, say 1500rpm for the 6mm and 900-1000rpm for 8mm.

Archived