SunProject M203 Gas Launcher (RIS vers.)

Okay so I got my SP RIS M203 through the post today, along with a ICS PEQ box with laser (that I bought on impulse.. I don't even need it)

I bought both items via ASCUK through a dude called HighTower aka Kevin Small, absolutely wicked chap indeed. :)

Anyway, this isn't a full review, as I don't have a gas grenade, nor a RIS rail on my M15a4 to even attach the M203 onto.... (I know you're thinking "what a gimp..") But hey, I never expected to buy a M203, that is until I saw Kevin's bargain in the for sale section :) (you're a star mate.)

First impressions

Well I was jumping for joy when it arrived, the box looked TINY to house a M203. Now, as you all know I'm not into real steel stuff, and I had no idea on the dimensions of the M203, but I tell you as my first impression, it's tiny.. and it's light. I thought it would be at least a kilo or so, however this is just the launcher, no grenade or anything included.

ResizeofCIMG7436.jpg

note the ripped lid. kevin certainly knows how to package things! i accidently ripped the box upon opening it.. shucks..

The next thing that struck me within opening the box is the absolute meffing shiney plastic used for the handguard grip and barrel. It's horrible as hell, looked like HFC material. Honestly I've held quality stuff, and I've held crude stuff (HFC springers) and the plastic used is absolutely horrid. For £124 brand new in the shops you would expect a high quality launcher for your money. But this isn't the case. You may think I'm exaggerating, but this was my first impression.

The receiver is metal, cold to the touch, which is nice. But it still doesn't compensate for the absolute meffing shiney plastic as I mentioned before..

ResizeofCIMG7434.jpg

nice greyish metal receiver with markings, with absolute heffing shiney plastic

Trigger

I was thinking the trigger would be a complicated mech, but it's not. Depressing the trigger simply makes this metal rod (aka the firing pin) nudge forward.

At first I found it quite worrying, the firing pin isn't actually a hammer that strikes in one strong force, it pokes out depending on how fast you pull the trigger.. So If I was to gently pull the trigger I'm thinking theoretically the firing pin would just hit the back of the grenade gently, the gas would not all be released at once.. Just like trying to depress the gas valve gently on a normal GBB pistol magazine..

Well I will find out once and for all once my KA 165grenade arrives.

ResizeofCIMG7437.jpg

firing pin, which moves moves the same speed as you pull the trigger

ResizeofCIMG7435.jpg

M203 opened

Well that's it. Will write a full review once I get this mofo attached to my M15, and when I get a few grenades or two :D

Cheers y'all.

ResizeofCIMG7433.jpg

The best way to improve the finnish of the plastic is to rub it down with some scotchbrite.

Use a circular motion and slowly reduce the pressure and you'll end up with a nice matt finnish that looks naturally worn rather than sanded.

This works great with metal as well.

FYI Moscarts and other 40mm gas grenades use a differential valve system. It's not possible to slowly open them as they stay closed under simple friction and use their own pressure to blow themselves open when pressed.

They run in exactly the same what the the Brocock systems work as originally designed by Saxby-Palmer.

I see you're a collector of CapitalOne biros too ;)

FYI Moscarts and other 40mm gas grenades use a differential valve system. It's not possible to slowly open them as they stay closed under simple friction and use their own pressure to blow themselves open when pressed.

They run in exactly the same what the the Brocock systems work as originally designed by Saxby-Palmer.

Ummmm..... don't understand ANYTHING you said there.. lol, but I've got a KingArms 165 shower shell and the C33 handguard now. I can update on the review now.

I see you're a collector of CapitalOne biros too ;)

Well.... I nicked it from downstairs... it was simply a random pen! I've just realised now that it's CapitalOne :P

AH. Now I get what you're saying. Sorry I wasn't paying attention.. :(

Well since I have a shower shell I finally found out that the trigger on the M203 is actually normal, it's a stiff squeeze, similar to a GBB.

Anyway, on with another patch of the review:

Update: KingArms 165 shot ShowerShell

(This part of the review is a kind of follow-up to the review on www.airsoft-guide.com found here so read that review first before reading this)

Okay,

I got my KingArms 165 shower shell through the post today (from AirsoftScotland) and found the package to be half chopped to fit into their parcel.. which was quite annoying, theys snipped the top part of the packaging.. it also seemed like it was second hand..

But anyway. I've gathered several bits of infomation about gas grenades, but am still confused. How does a gas grenade need to be "reset"? The valve button at the back is spring loaded, it simply returns back to position when the grenade is fired.

I got a very nice boom from my shower shell, I loaded it the second time and..... the gas kept escaping. At this time I though oh ######s I've blew the o-ring, just like SLB:

Of course that is also the reason that my initial excitement from firing the grenade rapidly turned to disappointment as I went to fill the shell again only to find out that I couldn't set the grenade. I would set the valve, but every time I tried to fill it, the seal would blow.

This of course meant that I had to open the grenade and see what was wrong. BIG MISTAKE!

I simply follwed this guys footsteps, and being a noob that I am.. I actually unscrewed the shell, only to find 8 little ball bearings fly out the cap. OH GAWD.. Ohwell..

I followed the instructions on how to get it back together. Unfortunately I didn't have "silicone shock oil" but also, being the pro that I am, I found a simple way to put the ball bearings back in place.

Simply following SLBs instructions, instead of using gel to stick the bb's from moving, I laid the shell upside-down vertical on a table, pressed the vavle spring down, pushed in the bb's (just like SLB) and using the screwdriver to push the valve down while screwing on the shell cap, I used my chin to keep the screwdriver in position, while screwing back the shell cap back together (the screws are quite tight, one hand isn't enough to screw it completely tight.)

Sorted, that stopped me from flashing another tenner on a CAW reload tool.. *phew*

I can't be bothered to take apart my shell again to take pictures, but refer to the pictures on SLB's review and you get the drift.

Will update review tomorrow when I get a chance to use the M203 launcher (after my under rail mount arrives of course..)