Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could order it now, but I'll have to wait until June 18 and then maybe another 15 days until it arrives here (delay at customs, etc.) :-(. I wanted to have this gun with me on a 5 day mil-sim training beginning on July 4, but I don't think I'll have it in my hands by that time... I wonder if gunnerairsoft.com will have them sooner? (but they usually charge excessive postage).

Edited by Killian
I'll just buy a couple of normal Minis and slice the end cell off, then add wires and i'm done :D

the included battery is marked up SC which are large cells. you could get a large 8.4v battery, remove the end cell and solder on some wiring to extend it.

i'm getting a 4000mah one for mine :)

just wondering?..( more a ques for redtroop)

just how hard might it be to turn this R85-A1 into a A2??

..as i'm no expert on this..making a mag catch cover may well be the biggest issue i'd have thought..most others things would be cosmetic would they not??? ( this all depending on weather army have a A2 in the works, which case there not much point)

just thinking out loud :) slap me if i'm being silly.. :P

By jove that is a winner...might have to buy a couple, one for me an the other half.

FarEast can you give us the lowdown on modifying the rail for SUSAT use?

Cheers.

I'm assuming/hoping that the rail can be unscrewed from the upper reciever & worked on.I'll leave that for when i have the SUSAT sat in front of me.

I'm not going to get into the whole 'Is the Army replacing SUSATs with ACOGs?' argument but would the rail fit an ACOG replica without modification? I assume it's the same rail as on the GnG one because I heard that can't fit a Star SUSAT either.

The G&G L85a1 had a standard rail, and could take you regular aimpoint or ACOG sight. All I did was take the rail off the gun (a couple of screws inside the upper reciver, no biggi) and then work it down with an electric drill with a sander on it. I stoped ever so often to see how mutch more I needed, and in the end my STAR SUSAT went on like a glove. I will guess it will be the same here. Please keep in mind that it will then most likely only holde the STAR SUSAT....

FarEast - any chance that you could drop in a 328fps spring and just see what happens please? Or see if the gears are TM compatible. I'd imagine for a lot of people that would be an important point. That and whether the tappet plate is TM compatible.

many thanks,

LJ

If that takes the weapon over 0.98 Joules, then I'm sorry i cant do it. You can't buy springs here in Japan that will take your weapon over that limit and doing so will break the law. Something I'm not prepared to do.

I wish I could order it now, but I'll have to wait until June 18 and then maybe another 15 days until it arrives here (delay at customs, etc.) :-(. I wanted to have this gun with me on a 5 day mil-sim training beginning on July 4, but I don't think I'll have it in my hands by that time... I wonder if gunnerairsoft.com will have them sooner? (but they usually charge excessive postage).

Keith at ROSV has them now, he was actually holding back pending this review as he wasn't prepared to send out lemons.

:D Even better.

I wonder, does it have a large or small connector for the battery?

Battery has a large conector

I'm assuming/hoping that the rail can be unscrewed from the upper reciever & worked on.I'll leave that for when i have the SUSAT sat in front of me.

I do beleive the it's the same as the R85. I will be taking it apart this evening to check internals and photograph them.

Keith at ROSV has them now, he was actually holding back pending this review as he wasn't prepared to send out lemons.

I checked the store - it's still just the preorder, and he mentions this "The AEG will be available in June 18, 2007.". :( Or how I can I order it? Thanks.

FPS? or is it above arnies limits?

the advert says that it's 80 m/s

if you google 80 metres per second in feet per second you get 262 fps

would definately get this upgraded if it doesnt take it over 1J.

do the star 8.4v custom batteries fit this? im a bit rubbish at electrics and dont want to be messing about with normal batteries and ending up with a gun with a rubbish battery and a briken battery.

If that takes the weapon over 0.98 Joules, then I'm sorry i cant do it. You can't buy springs here in Japan that will take your weapon over that limit and doing so will break the law. Something I'm not prepared to do.
That takes the weapon to more or less exactly 0.98 joules IIRC, as it's the standard limit for most sites in the UK (where the accepted limit is "less than 1 J").

Thanks for that Captain Hat, I've had about 5 hurs sleep in the last 48 hours so the brain isn't working to well. I will Chrono it tonight guys but please be patient as i have a whole lot of other things going on at the moment.