Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

Basically ive heard that the damn thing breaks and sends broken bits of poo into your mechox totally fubaring the gun if you use the recoil on Automatic regularly....

is this true? and is there anyway to stop it happening since i want an L85, especially a well made metal one, but theres other stuff i want too, but the blowback gimmick would give it that edge that puts it on the need imminantly list rather than the want in future list.

ive seen the recoil on Flanker Tankers video review and it looked sweet. just dont want to have to disable it all the time to use auto :(

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically ive heard that the damn thing breaks and sends broken bits of poo into your mechox totally fubaring the gun if you use the recoil on Automatic regularly....

is this true? and is there anyway to stop it happening since i want an L85, especially a well made metal one, but theres other stuff i want too, but the blowback gimmick would give it that edge that puts it on the need imminantly list rather than the want in future list.

ive seen the recoil on Flanker Tankers video review and it looked sweet. just dont want to have to disable it all the time to use auto :(

i've probably put more than 10,000 rounds through mine and plenty more shots dry firing just for the fun of the blowback. mine is still going strong.

has the blowback hook actually broken on anyones yet or is everyone still judging this by the G&G gun ??

for £100 you cant go wrong its a quality piece of kit and i am well pleased with mine :) will be even better when my susat gets delivered.

Translation

"This is the release button spring, the press playing a single hair, can uncover the anti-Nepalese teeth, in order to facilitate for spring It could also guarantee a lasting spring, and PGC-the same box design"

"T the first hermetic poor, have poor-quality mouse droppings, I changed out reminders. 内管很长,没量尺寸,应该比AUG还长Possession of a very long, no amount of size, should be longer than AUG"

google fails at translating..../

Edited by Apex
Translation

"This is the release button spring, the press playing a single hair, can uncover the anti-Nepalese teeth, in order to facilitate for spring It could also guarantee a lasting spring, and PGC-the same box design"

"T the first hermetic poor, have poor-quality mouse droppings, I changed out reminders. 内管很长,没量尺寸,应该比AUG还长Possession of a very long, no amount of size, should be longer than AUG"

google fails at translating..../

Lol thats quite funny

Reminds me of the instructions that you used to get with old LS model gun kits when I was a kid!! :D Still waiting for Airsoft worlds first batch to arrive :( I've lost count of the number of times that I've considered cancelling my pre order. However, keeping the faith because I want an L85 so much!!!!! UK 12 month warranty and discusions with airsoft world have convinced me that this will so be worth waiting for.

Does that cover piston replacements?

Judging by the trouble some people are having that could be expensive for them!

People seem to forget that Land Warrior Airsoft were the first UK retailer to have these in and have delivered their first batch with a 12 month warranty. And the customer service has been exceptional.

You've got to feel sorry for the suppliers of these guns,reading this forum & report after report of people having problems.I firmly believe places like airsoftworld will have reqested additional quality control checks on their order which will be holding up their delivery.At the end of the day you have the same chance of getting a lemon if you order one of their guns.A bit like a cars MOT the additional QC check will only say that it was ok on the day they tested it & wont be guarenteeing the logevity of the working parts.Fortunately that doesn't seem to be an issue as replacement parts are easily available or the warrenty that UK suppliers will cover any work & replacement parts!

Go ahead & buy one from where ever you feel like,there are dealers out there who wont give a damn but places like rsov & Landwarriorairsoft have proved that they are there for their customers & help where ever & when ever they can! B)

Edited by rolling-thunder

i dont know if you lot have read airsoft scotlands latest updates

UPDATE 02/07: To cut a long story short, we rcvd an email this morning from Army saying that our L85's were not sent on Friday due to further QA issues.

"We have found two problems with current production of R85A1.

The heavyness of copper in selector mechanism is incorrect preventing proper returning of contacts after several semiautomatic / automatic switchings.

The thickness of blowback plate has been made incorrect and stops proper action of unit.

Army Armament have great pride in their products and will not send out product until it is fully working. We apologise for the delay but hope you can understand we want your customers to have best product from Army Armaments." (Which is a refreshing change in the airsoft market!)

The estimated delivery time for the FIRST 100 units is now middle to late August, the second shipment will be in September. We tried to get some of the faulty ones for rework at Airsoft World but they point blank refused to export them in their present condition. All customers orders will remain to be on a 'first come, first served' basis and will be dispatched as soon as we have them. Anyone wishing to cancel their pre-order can do so no problem. Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience, we will however keep you informed of any updates as soon as we can.

Update 09/07/2007: Last week a large HK wholesaler who supply the HK retailers has forced the AA factory to rush release their order. Although the AA factory were not happy to do so, they did so through fear of losing this large order and suffering the financial consequences. These L85's have not been properly reworked and are inferior quality to those that we will be supplying. Be warned! We have had several calls from purchasers who have just received them; bits are falling off, the blowback is not working on some and a couple have serious wiring issues. We will only have the fully reworked version which obviously takes a little longer to leave the factory.

it would seem Army have taken it upon themselves to run the quality control and any guns leaving their factory now are doing so under duress. personally im going to wait until AS have them in stock and get one then, at least it will be under warrenty and had Frenchies keen eye give it the once over

Edited by Bengali

I fear Frenchy & co are making a rod for there own back by making so much of the QC issues & therefore making out that none of the guns will have issues when they are finally delivered.I have no problems in believing that the *albatross* crew will be sat up in the small hours checking each gun before sending them out;but for the customer to expect that each & every gun will function flawlessly upon reciept is hoping a bit much for the money that's being paid.I'm glad that my gun hasn't had any major issues & consider myself lucky but i also consider the gun to be a good starter platform for upgrades.In this case there shouldn't be a need for many upgrades to get it to function with reliability{i hope?}.

When AA release the R85A2 all of the current issues should be solved because they are only doing some very minor body alterations.

the a2 could be a while away as they are going to want to get as much milk from this money cow as they can.

I should have my r85a1 mid next week (Can't Wait) If any thing goes wrong with it as I suck at the internals (and would no doubt do more harm than good) Its reassuring to know I can get help here.

I fear Frenchy & co are making a rod for there own back by making so much of the QC issues & therefore making out that none of the guns will have issues when they are finally delivered.

Absolutely.

Any talk of delays due to QC issues is complete and utter BS. When you buy a KSC gun you know it's come from a KSC factory and has appropriate QC.

If a KSC gun has poor design then KSC are forced to sort it out or abandon the model.

It seems, to me, that most of these Chinese guns are made in random factories and then packed into a variety of boxes, all with different names on.

If a factory produces a poor product then the only way it's going to stop finding it's way to the market is if the company fronting the particular gun decides they don't want any more.

In which case the factory will simply offer the same item to a different company.

If ASW and co think that demanding a more reliable version of the gun will get them anywhere they're wrong.

All that'll happen is that the factory will sell the guns to whoever wants them RIGHT NOW and then, later on, they'll tell ASW they've sorted out the problems and sell them the guns.

Again, let's try and keep a grasp on why chinese guns cost peanuts and more established makes cost 3 times as much. :)

well, for guys like me... "peanuts" can be quite a lot, so a gun that is cheap and fun to use ( along with being dependable ) is always a nice thing... again, for guys like me...

why cant these companies just make a good gun to start with... why did G&G take the time to make such a great looking gun that has horrible internals? why couldnt they just make it right the firs time.....

well, for guys like me... "peanuts" can be quite a lot, so a gun that is cheap and fun to use ( along with being dependable ) is always a nice thing... again, for guys like me...

So, umm, you'd rather pay £50 for a gun that might last 6 months rather than £200 for a gun that'll last a lifetime?

I have some shares in a goldmine I'd like to sell you...

why cant these companies just make a good gun to start with... why did G&G take the time to make such a great looking gun that has horrible internals? why couldnt they just make it right the firs time.....

You mean the internals that Army copied but prodused to a lower quality?

The G&G L85 gearbox is actually a GREAT bit of design. Unfortunately, they decided to add in a bunch of tat such as the working blowback.

If they'd produced the gun, from the start, with a normal piston/sector gear and no blowback I reckon people would be saying it was one of THE best AEGs ever.

It's hardly a disaster though. It just needs a bit of work to sort it out.

I might have some insight into my L85's spectacular failure.

It came in a Union Flag box - a la the G&G - and it appears that the models being sold now are in plain brown boxes, and their QC is much, much better.

But it should stop cocking handles falling off.

I think that they fixed this issue - my friend got his gun from RSOV two days ago and the design of the blowback plate is now completely different - the threads are directly in the plate and not soldered on a small plate (which was breaking off).

However one of the two guns I have (with my brother) is broken after only a few shots. It's probably the famous piston. The gears inside appear to be moving but the piston isn't. I know, Keith would send me another piston, but I think I am going to replace the piston with a 16 tooth piston and get the spacer set.