Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of you guys preordered from Airsoft world? Check out update on their website. With luck, the waiting will soon be over!! I hope that the problems have been sorted out now :)

I have - they were having problems with their broadband connection this weekend, but they called me up to answer my query about arrival times rather than let me wait all weekend for a website update. Im more than happy with the service so far - I just cant wait for the thing to turn up! :D

Still can't download the guide. I have updated to the latest Adobe reader and tried Mozila too all with no luck. I wonder if one of you kind gents could mail me a copy.

File: G_G_L85_guide.pdf

File Size: 1.1mb (approx)

Link: Click Here!

you can download it from here, i uploaded to my box account so hopefully you can download it from here if needs be

Edited by Coolz10uk2003

Regarding the questions about TM pistons, A TM piston fits perfectly into the G&G gun.

I would have thought that if a TM piston was small enough to come off the guide rails of the R85 then the R85 piston/cylinder must be a good 3-4mm wider than a standard set up.

Somebody care to (accurately) measure the width of their Army piston?

I've got my replacement plate but the part on the plate that holds the spring (that pulls it back) does not fit i was hoping the new one would also have a new one of these so i'm using my old one I slide the spring part in an when it gets pulled back it jjust comes out (there is no little screw bit on top.. and ideas how i can fix or bodge this?

this is really really annoying..

Regarding the questions about TM pistons, A TM piston fits perfectly into the G&G gun.

I would have thought that if a TM piston was small enough to come off the guide rails of the R85 then the R85 piston/cylinder must be a good 3-4mm wider than a standard set up.

Somebody care to (accurately) measure the width of their Army piston?

Pic of TM piston in R85 shell:

http://home.lyse.net/kristoffer/Div%20bilder/IMG_2499.JPG

The R85 piston isn't much wider. It is able to move sideways, but not enough to make it slip of one of the guide-rails like the TM piston does. I'm considering making the gearbox guiderails a little wider, but I'm not quite sure how to do this.

The gearbox guiderails are 20.0 mm apart.

The R85 piston is 21.9 mm wide

The Marui pistons (2x brand new) are both 21.7 mm wide

The difference between the TM and R85 piston is: from the bottom of the groove between the 2 piston guiderails, to the opposing guiderails: 19.9 mm while on the R85 piston, it measures 20.6 mm.

You could drill and tap small holes for small grub screws in the piston rails to keep it in the middle. Or ball bearings if you want to be hifi.

Or go with Systema. Their pistons (full teeth, half-teeth, Ver6 with 2nd tooth removed, aluminum) measure from 21.96 to 22.36 mm depending on the model. The regular full teeth pistons were the most narrow at 21.96-21.98 mm, and the aluminum pistons were the widest at 22.36-22.38 mm.

Could be that other brands have wider pistons as well. It takes more than that to get the market hooked on a single piston type. :)

-Sale

Edited by Sale

I was originally really fired up for getting my army R85 to complete my brit loadout....

now i think ive had enough given the horror storys im seeing.... if the piston isnt standard width, the precocking causes problems, the build quality is questionable on the cocking handle, the selector gear needs changeing to goto 16tooth piston... and on top of that some dont feed properly i may as well can my order and buy annother Classic Army gun which although costs more it works first time everytime....

Seriously.. small problems i can live with but this looks like a catalogue of disasters. How have army screwed up this bad!!?

thoughts pls

can anyone provide me with a link to a rail tht will switch with the one on the r85 so tht u can mount a star susat on it, ive bin looking everywhere

For at least the 3rd time in this thread:- YOU DON'T NEED IT.

To fit the Star rail you'll need to remove the original one.

If you remove the existing one you can file down the underside of the edges slightly.

If you don't have the tools to file down the rail then you probably also don't have the tools to drill (and then file down) new holes in the receiver to suit the new rail.

Remove the existing rail and file it.

End of.

I'm still trying to get help with my springs not catching onto the blowback plate people seem to be ignoring my cries for help..

File: G_G_L85_guide.pdf

File Size: 1.1mb (approx)

Link: Click Here!

you can download it from here, i uploaded to my box account so hopefully you can download it from here if needs be

download that its a guide on how to make it more reliable and it goes throu how to disable blow back even though its for the g and g its still the same for the army

Edited by Coolz10uk2003

to fit the star susat you really only have to file off a tiny amount.

all i did was file the coat of paint off and the susat slid straight on.

here is what mine looks like now.

Star Susat, G & G L85A2 cocking handle, Star 130 round L85 magazine and a webtex sa80 sling :)

Edited by falconfour4

i got mine to day, i got hit with import tax and had to pay 22.20 GBP. i went to the parcel force depo and payed it there and picked the gun up aswell, i cant help but feel like i payed them to do a job that i then payed again to do myself :(

Everything feels rock solid from the huge amount of metal, iv used the real sa80 and i would say its 99% the same apart from the weight and trades. The cocking handle on mine is very solid and doesn't feel like its gona fall off. im very impresses with it so far, the finish is very nice and i feel its as good as farests review says it is.

the only problem iv had is the jing gong mags i purchased with it down lock in, iv tried bending the tabs up like it says in the OP to no avail.

You could drill and tap small holes for small grub screws in the piston rails to keep it in the middle. Or ball bearings if you want to be hifi.

Or go with Systema. Their pistons (full teeth, half-teeth, Ver6 with 2nd tooth removed, aluminum) measure from 21.96 to 22.36 mm depending on the model. The regular full teeth pistons were the most narrow at 21.96-21.98 mm, and the aluminum pistons were the widest at 22.36-22.38 mm.

Could be that other brands have wider pistons as well. It takes more than that to get the market hooked on a single piston type. :)

-Sale

Weekend at last, and the first thing I did after work was to test a Systema Aluminum piston, and also an Area 1000 polycarbonate piston. Both were wider than the stock R85 and the TM piston. I installed the Area 1000 pc piston (I really hate the alu pistons), and will test it on sunday. But so far (2 mags) it looks promising.

You can point out many small faults, but I have to say, this is the best 120 dollars I have spent since I started with airsoft, and one of my favorite AEG's at this moment. Even the battery seems to work pretty well.