Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was really looking forward to this gun, but it doesnt seem like it has came to be as good as FarEast's... actually, i know FarEast isn't posting on here but i read on another forum that his indeed also did break too... i cant have that since im such a noob to gun internals, i only will break into a gun if there is a problem, otherwise i keep it stock..

so instead i think i am going for a src aks74 un.. those seem more noob friendly :)

WOW, there must be someone sneaking peeks through my window as I only post airsoft related stuff here.

For everyone else....my R85 is going strong, with no upgrades. The cocking handle snapped off durring the testing and this was reported to Keith beofre they were released informing him of the defective design. And was also mentioned back in the early pages of this thread.

So pathfinder......Im actually interested where this news of mine breaking came from??? Maye you shouldn't beleive everything you read on forums.

have someone any information about FPS in A1 version,  and any information about release A2 version???

Gah! :angry:

And there was me waitin for FarEast's reply, thinking it was going to be something to do with this question. :D

I'd be interested to hear of any plans for imminent release of an A2 version from Army.

I'm still considering a replacement cocking handle for my G&G gun and I don't really want to buy a G&G one for £30 if Army are going to bring out an A2 soon and, hopefully, provide spares for it.

Sorry Stealth,

I have heard several rumours regarding pending releases for the R85 made by 3rd parties. Right now I'm not at liberty to say what these might be as if they fall through it will lead to disapointment. Let me confirm this with one or two other sourcesand I will get back to you all.

I'm still having trouble with mine I don't really want to take my gun apart but if some one is willing to help I can take it apart and get some pictures.

the problem is as follows-

The cocking plate wobbles about pretty free in its socket and I don't think it latches onto the blowback bit that moves also the spring thats meant to connect to the blockback plate does not connect and thus does not pull the blockback plate so I've just got the plate moving nearly freely about (both inwards and sideways)

Any one else had this problem I'm not massively bothered by the whole blowback thing (though it was one reason i brought the gun but meh) i'm more bothered by the fact the plate moves about free and the spring doesn't pull it back it means it opens in games and ###### gets in there. I've got a replacement plate from rsov and fitted it but still.. most annoying.

Like I said if some one can help i'll get some pictures as its hard to describe but i don't want to go to all that effort if no one can help.

UPDATE: 15TH August - They have arrived! (The first 100 pre-order, ALL of which are sold) We will be shipping these out on Monday because we want to make sure they are 100% before you get them. Your L85 will be thoroughly examined and tested over the weekend and dispatched as soon as we have given them the all clear.

YES! Guys who went with Airsoftworld - our wait is almost over! lol. Although in reality it means another week but I guess its good they're going to give them a once over... :huh:

Edited by CC22

:D

YES! Guys who went with Airsoftworld - our wait is almost over! lol. Although in reality it means another week but I guess its good they're going to give them a once over...  :huh:

:D Getting really excited now! (Does that make me sad?) Unfortunately will have to use M4 this weekend and not sure of next skirmish date :( Never mind, at least it will be here for my birthday, however, the wife doesn't know yet that this is what she is getting me!!

Another weekend, more work done.

Tested the R85 last sunday, and it worked. The battery is ######, an Intellect 8.4v 1400mah mini battery is much better.

Range is as expected in a 289 fps gun (I downgraded it for CQB use), accuracy is much better now that it has a TM M16 inner barrel and a metal hop-up unit with a systema rubber. Tightbore will come later.

ROF with the stock battery was low, I would guess somewhere around 500-600 rpm. Much better with the intellect battery, and even better with a Sanyo 8.4 1700 mah large type.

This evening I installed Systema 6mm metal bushings, and tossed the XYT bevel gear, replacing it with a CA bevel. The XYT bevel was bent, so much that it was easily visible when the gearbox was running. I love this gearbox, you can inspect all the gears from the outside, while running the motor. This got rid of a nasty little whine that used to be in the gearbox, now its as smooth as any TM gearbox I ever owned.

If you own a R85, there is one thing you MUST do: Tighten all screws, and apply some kind of threadlock.

Another weekend, more work done.

Tested the R85 last sunday, and it worked. The battery is ######, an Intellect 8.4v 1400mah mini battery is much better.

Range is as expected in a 289 fps gun (I downgraded it for CQB use), accuracy is much better now that it has a TM M16 inner barrel and a metal hop-up unit with a systema rubber. Tightbore will come later.

ROF with the stock battery was low, I would guess somewhere around 500-600 rpm. Much better with the intellect battery, and even better with a Sanyo 8.4 1700 mah large type.

This evening I installed Systema 6mm metal bushings, and tossed the XYT bevel gear, replacing it with a CA bevel. The XYT bevel was bent, so much that it was easily visible when the gearbox was running. I love this gearbox, you can inspect all the gears from the outside, while running the motor. This got rid of a nasty little whine that used to be in the gearbox, now its as smooth as any TM gearbox I ever owned.

If you own a R85, there is one thing you MUST do: Tighten all screws, and apply some kind of threadlock.

I'm sorry, you installed 6mm bushings? The gun takes 8mm bushings.

According to this review, CA tightbores are good, especially for the price:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/t...0%26Itemid%3D42

Did anyone try to put a new hop-up chamber in the R85? One member reported that G&P chamber didn't fit. What about the element hopup?...

I was able to replace the sector gear for a standard TM sector gear, the disassembly of the mechabox is quite easy. I am going to replace the piston and piston head today...

How essential is the new sector gear, piston and piston head? I have disabled the blowback and tinkered inside. Has anyone experienced the piston breaking on the R85 or is it just people being cautious because it breaks on the G&G?

I know for fact that the semi-auto/ auto switch doesn't work well but it won't break, will it?

Edited by CaptWilkes777
Did anyone try to put a new hop-up chamber in the R85? One member reported that G&P chamber didn't fit. What about the element hopup?...

I was able to replace the sector gear for a standard TM sector gear, the disassembly of the mechabox is quite easy. I am going to replace the piston and piston head today...

I fitted a systema hop up which is exactly the same as the G&P one from my SPR, was a tight fit but fitted nonetheless.

I'm not completely sure my plague but I'm pretty sure that if it breaks bits fall out and can damage the gun, the pdf file in this thread a few pages back says that one problem is likely to knock out a load of parts. If I were you I'd remove it anyway it very simple to do.

(also it is hard to get responses)